Monday, November 10, 2014

What I Love Most Today are Holiday Recipes...

 I came across this recipe in InStyle Magazine called Brussels Sprouts Gratin.  It looked so delicious I knew I had to try it.  Try it I did, and it was so good!!!  To get you ready for the holidays here are three tried and true recipes for your repertoire.  Enjoy.

If you love Brussels Sprouts, this is the recipe for you.  If you want to like Brussels Sprouts and sometimes you've tasted them and you kind of like them, this is the recipe for you.  If you don't like Brussels Sprouts, I'm sure this is still the recipe for you.  It was soooo good, and all of my kids loved it!  (Except for Shane, but he doesn't count.)  :):)
The Gratin calls for things like bacon, shallots, heavy cream, and Dijon Mustard.  You can't go wrong with any of these ingredients.  

By the time you've reduced the Brussels Sprouts in Apple Cider Vinegar and sauteed them in heavy cream, the Brussels take on a buttery and nuttier taste verses a bitter taste.  See that crispy bacon?  It's really what makes this recipe so delicious.  (See the end of the post for the Gratin recipe).

I've been making these Garlic Mashed Potatoes for years.  You cannot go wrong with this recipe.  It's simple and so delightful.  The mixture of garlic and Parmesan cheese is perfect.


And last but not least Ina Garten's Cranberry Conserve, that I've been making for years.  In my opinion the secret to a great cranberry sauce is a good ol' Granny Smith Apple and Pecans instead of Walnuts.  This recipe calls for a lot of sugar.  I put in less than a 1/4 cup.  So the pecans help add sweetness where sugar is left out.





I hope this helps you to get excited for the coming holidays!!  What I Love Most Today are Holiday Recipes.  Enjoy!

Brussels Sprouts Gratin

8 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided 
2 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 lb. smoked slab-style bacon, diced
5 shallots, sliced into rounds
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 cup white wine, (I used a high end apple cider vinegar)
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp unsalted butter
6 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
1 cup panko bread crumbs (regular will work too)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. Heat 4 tbsp oil in large saute pan over med. high heat.  Cook brussels sprouts in batches, cut side down, without turning, until cut side is golden brown, 4-6 minutes.  Season with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper while cooking. 3. Remove, and transfer to a bowl.  (Sprouts will continue to cook in the oven, so do not worry if they seem under cooked.) 4. Repeat with remaining batches, adding 2 tbsp olive oil, as needed.  Set aside. 5.  Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a medium size saute pan over medium heat.  Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy.  Transfer bacon to a plate, leaving fat in pan set aside. 6. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon fat; set aside. 7. Return pan to medium heat; add shallots and thyme. Cook stirring often, until shallots are tender, 3-4 minutes.  Add wine/vinegar to pan, increase heat to high.  8. Cook, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate bacon bits, until wine evaporates, 2-3 minutes. 9. Stir in cram, mustard, and butter.  Reduce heat to medium, stir in two thirds to of the cheese.  Season with 1/2tsp each salt and pepper.  Stir in reserved bacon and brussels sprouts.  Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish. (if making ahead cover tightly and refrigerate.)  10. When ready to bake, toss bread crumbs with reserved 1/4 cup bacon fat.  Season with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.  Distribute evenly over brussels sprouts.  Top with remaining cheese. 11. Bake until cream bubbles and bread crumbs turn golden brown, 20-30 minutes.  Serve hot. 





3 comments:

  1. Yummy! I am not a big fan of Brussels Sprouts, but I have been feeling like I should give them a re-try. This recipe looks amazing. Did the children like them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so that brussel sprout recipe is right up my alley. They are my favorite vegetable and then add bacon and parmesan? What could anybody possibly not like about them. Cannot wait to try!

    ReplyDelete