Friday, November 14, 2014

What I Love Most Today is Mothers Day...

Of course I love Mothers Day!!! How could I not love it with all of these sweet cherubs by my side to adorn me with gifts?  There she is, my side kick Summer.  I think she will be forever by my side.  I have my husband to thank for teaching our children to celebrate me on this special day.  

This year was extra spectacular because all of the older kids were into "looming."  Which means I got lots of loomed bracelets.  I don't consider myself very sentimental except when it comes to Mothers Day and their artwork.  So, I have a big box filled with Mothers Day cards and the crafts they've made me.  I can't help it.  There is no way I can get rid of their sweet thoughts and sentiments for me.  
(These pictures are from this past Mother's Day, 2014.) 

People will often ask me if I always knew I wanted a big family.  The answer is, "I never even knew I wanted a family."  Haha!  It's half true.  I never really thought about having kids growing up.  And the really funny thing is that my mother in law has 9 children.  So, when I only had my first two kids, I remember thinking, "I would have to have 7 more kids in order to catch up to her 9????!!!!!????!!!!"   And low and behold, I ended up having 7 kids.  And of course, now I think, "wow, only 2 more kids to catch up to her 9?"  Well, there won't be any catching up.  We are done.  My body spoke loud and clear after having William.  

So, I love Mothers Day.  But, being a mother is no cake walk.  As a matter of fact it's been the most challenging job I've ever taken on.  I'll be honest, sometimes I wonder, in a rare moment of panic, what in the world I've done.  That is meant to be funny.  In all seriousness being a mother has forced me to take a hard look at myself.  At least for me, I've asked myself more than once, "What kind of mother do I want to be? Am I the best example I can be?  While I have them here in our home, what are the most important things for them to learn?"  This is when I start to wonder, what in the world have I gotten myself into.  But, I'm in it and I'm in deep.  And I love it.  I believe that it's what this life was meant for.  

I love these pictures of me and the kids.  But, Kirk is capturing the best of the best.  My life has struggles, I have concerns, deep concerns and there is REAL emotion going on in our home, for sure.  I try not to compare myself to other moms, people or families. I try my hardest to focus on my family, I try to strengthen my weaknesses and I try my hardest to stay close to the Lord through this journey called motherhood and family life.  I'm so grateful for prayer as a mother.  It has, many times, helped to guide and direct me to solutions for my children, for me and for our family in general.  

All that said, I love being a mom.  I didn't grow up with any siblings.  My half brother was born when I was 13, so I didn't know him very well.  And Mothers Day always makes me think of my sweet husband because I couldn't have had all of these lovely kids without him.  I often tell my kids I love being married so much because I get to sleep with someone every night.  Yeah- every night I had to climb into a cold, lonely bed growing up, and a lonely room for that matter! When I could have been sleeping with another warm body!!  This cracks the kids up every time.  


So here's to motherhood, on the one side, with all of the trials and tears that come with it.  And on the other side, I've never loved anyone so much as these kids and my husband.  I will always strive to do my best as a wife and mother. I'm so grateful for a wonderful husband who is along side this ride with me.  Whenever the kids are naughty, I tell them, "you better shape up because I have the gift of energy and I'm in this for the long haul."  But, then they all remind me that they've inherited that gift too...darn it...

   What I Love Most Today is Mother's day.  


1 comment:

  1. Shauna! I think what is so encouraging about motherhood when you write about it is the fact that it is just honest. You talk about the good things. You talk about the tricky things. You talk about the love you have for your family. Happy (belated) mother's day.

    ReplyDelete