Well I gather November is National Blog
Month, so the challenge is to post a blog everyday. I hope I've got this
correct. I think I'll take the challenge. I wanted there to be some
sort of theme for this whole "project" so it's going to be "What
I Love the Most."
Now this
could be tricky because along with me loving my husband the most, there could
be a post about my clothing and how much I love it. I'm just saying; this
is going to be thirty days of loving so there's bound to be a few
"less important" loving posts...
Well, I love my
husband the most. Where do I even start. We met in college, in
Geology class (of all classes) and I would look back and stare at him because I
thought he was really good looking. He would of course see me staring and
later confessed that he was always racking his brain thinking, "where do I
know her from." Nope, didn't know me from anywhere, it was just me
staring him down. Obviously one thing led to another and we got to know
each other.
I'd never thought
a lot about marriage or even kids really. I guess I knew that might
happen one day, but I was headed to Santa Clara University to go to Law School.
Marriage wasn't even a thought, until I spent just a little bit of time
with Kirk. I had never met anyone like him before. Does this sound
cliche? He spoke kindly to me, he was never offensive, he held every door
open for me and the first time I met his mom she came in from the grocery store
and Kirk went straight out to gladly carry in all of those groceries
in for her. These aren't the kinds of boys I was use to, that's for
sure.
On April of 1998 he baptized me a member
of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We officially started
dating at this point and we were married in the Oakland Temple on June 12,
1999.
Kirk and I had a
bit of a rocky start. We are from very different backgrounds.
He is the last of nine children and I am the oldest with a half brother
that was born when I was thirteen. So really, I was an only child.
There were a lot of arguments, things always seemed to bother me, nothing
ever seemed to bother him. I was use to undivided attention, he wasn't.
These things played a big part in the dynamics of our marriage.
But, with humble hearts (me and him), tears (me), learning to say
"sorry" (me and him), talking nicer to one another (me),
not interrupting one another (me), not taking things so
seriously, (me) we learned to be great friends and companions to one another.
See how most of that was "me" it's the only child business, I'm
telling you....I'm convinced you folk out there with siblings are much more well
adjusted.
Looking back the
growth is amazing and there is so much more in store for us. We have had
six children in our twelve years of marriage and it's as a father that I really
admire my husband. He is totally, one hundred percent involved in their
lives. I believe that because we have a solid, not perfect, but solid
marriage we can give our all to these children and he does for sure.
He has always been
good with the babies. No, I don't mean he held them when I had to do
something or made cute faces at them, I mean he was better with them than I was!
His cousin calls him the baby whisperer because he has shown many a mom
how to "wrap those babies proper." (That's supposed to be with a Southern
accent, it's Kirk's favorite accent, the only one he can do. :)) Do you
understand how this has helped me? I mean it's basically because of him
that the little stinkers would sleep at all, because I've always been horrible
with the wrap.
He has always read
to them. He loves them with both his words and his physical affection.
He has always engaged them in conversation and play. He holds them
and lets them come into bed with us. In fact, they've learned to go right
to "daddy's side," because they know I'll get up and put them right
back where they came from. :) He is concerned for them. He
shares his life stories with them, he gathers them for scripture reading and
prayer. He also gathers them for the family novel we always have going,
that he picks himself after reading up on what the best books are out there for
children. He plays tennis with them two to three nights a week (when they become a certain age-we've become huge tennis fans) and he makes sure they journal.
Today our children
are eleven, eight (nine this month), six (seven this month), four, two and
nine months, am I forgetting anyone....nope. I never thought this would be
my life. I love it more than anything. My parents were never
married, I lived with my mom and saw my dad every other weekend and in the
summers. I love being married to my husband and am thankful everyday that this path was
put before me. My life could have been very different. This is the
life I love and I'm excited to be living it.
PS. He always reads our family novel with a Southern accent; it's hilarious.


Shauna! I'm so glad you are going to do Nablopomo. I'm excited to read all about the things you love. Great start with your husband!
ReplyDeleteI totally remember being in your wedding! I wore a very lovely and flattering pink dress. I spent the day outside the temple and burned my back...it was the same color as the dress then. But it was worth it! It was a beautiful day and I totally remember how in love you two were! I remember when Kirk proposed and I LOVED your ring! Solitaire with several smaller diamonds on each side.
I am glad you found my blog and I am REALLY glad you have a blog. They are so fun! I am so bad at keeping in touch with people but, I love catching up with old friends and having a peek into their current lives.
I am so glad you and Kirk are so happy together! You have a beautiful family!
I loved reading this! That accent sounds like it probably is hilarious to witness!
ReplyDelete