Sunday, November 06, 2011

What I Love Most Today are Cake Plates!

I love Cake Plates.  Do I bake a lot of cakes?  No, I don't.  But, I love decorating with cake plates.   When I was younger and lived at home I always thought that I kept my room up really cute.  Somehow, I thought this would translate well when I starting decorating my own home.   Well, it wasn't that simple.

I realized I am not the greatest at decorating and I believe one main reason for this is my indecisiveness.  Actually, I don't need to believe it, I just know it.  It's so hard for me to pick.  Pick what, you say?  Oh, just about anything.

For instance, if I go to the store to by a toothbrush, I get to the aisle and there are sixty toothbrushes.  I am liable to stand there, staring, waiting, staring some more and then just deciding, "I actually don't need a new toothbrush after all."  

Decorating has never been too big of a priority.  I just want my home to look pleasing and put together, while on a budget.   So, I found a "nitch" and I'm quite pleased with it.  I use cake plates not only to decorate with but to use as organizational tools.

I love using the cake plates on my book shelves.  This turns a boring "ol" book shelf into clean, sophisticated and put together.

I love stacking on the cakes plates.  My brother in law has some friends that have a glass blowing shop and they did these pumpkins for me.  I love the classic books next to the plate, I like the edges of the books with the roundness of the other items.


Inside kitchen cabinets can be tricky with a custom home or without.  You open your cupboard and you have a couple shelves with so much wasted space in between them..  There could be so much more efficiency and there is with my cake plates.  I am able to put cups on the shelf itself and on the cake plate, thus the cake plate acts as a shelf.



I love having this double decker shelf for my spices.  Otherwise they would just be strewn about on the bottom there with tons of empty space above.

 So I have created efficiency and it's pretty to look at.  And because of this, What I Love Most today are cake plates.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. what a great idea! so pretty! and smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized that those were cake plates. I didn't know you are so indecisive. I guess it's your indecisiveness is why you love Costco. You need a toothbrush? They have 1 kind and you get 6 of them. Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Exactly true about Costco, I almost mentioned this in the above post. Sometimes I have moments of clarity and I can pick something if I've read a lot about it or I'm sold on it before hand, but usually this is not the case.

    Funny you didn't know those were cake plates, what did you think they were just out of curiosity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:29 AM

    These blogs are so much fun. Shauna I think you might get that indecisiveness from me. I am the same way with decorating and I think part of my problem is lack confidence along with the other affliction. Actually Keri is onto something. You need to buy two of those packages at Costco cuz you actually need more than most with your family. The hard part is identifying who belongs to which toothbrush.
    Mom Kozeluh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:31 AM

    P.S. Shauna I won't mention to Barbara that you use those beautiful cake plates as shelf organizers.
    Kidding of course, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shauna!! So great to hear from you! I am so excited about my mission call =]] I can't believe how big your kids are getting!! I remember when Reece was born, and he is definitely not the youngest anymore =] I am coming out to California at Christmas and hope I can see you guys while I'm there!!

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Shauna. Sweet & functional. I too didn't realize you had trouble deciding. I am the exact opposite. Probably a little too careless but I can pick out a paint color in the store in under a minute.

    ReplyDelete