I really do love Costco. I remember years ago I would say "I'm never going to shop at Costco." I guess I just felt like I might be getting tricked with all the bulk items and spontaneous purchases. Boy has my opinion of Costco changed. I have done a wee bit of research on Costco and have come across people who have systematically compared large supermarket prices to Costco's and it's pretty clear each time, Costco is the winner. Now, there are some exceptions. But, none too drastic to take me away from Costco.
I haven't shopped at Safeway, our local grocery store in over three years. Because it just doesn't add up for me. This is what my research showed me. I signed up on line at Safeway.com to be able to browse isle by isle (I felt like a spy) to get a good look at their prices, I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!
Let's take these granola bars for example. At Costco they are $13.48. At Safeway they are, you might want to sit down for this...$4.39. Way cheaper? No, because you only get 8 in a box! Guess how many you get in the Costco box? Drum roll please.....96 bars!!!!! I don't even think I need to do the math but I will anyway. You will buy a granola bar at Safeway for 54 cents and a bar at Costco for 14 cents. It's amazing, the difference in cost.
My children love Chobani yogurt and you also can't beat the price at Costco. I buy Whole Wheat Organic Kirkland bread at Costco for $3.99, this gives you two loaves. At Safeway a single loaf of bread is upwards of $6.00!!!
Nuts are really expensive at any local grocer and I've noticed this for years, so I wouldn't ever purchase them before moving to Costco. This was one of my favorite purchases when I started shopping at Costco because I love nuts. I put them in my salads, on my yams, in my granola, on my breakfast, and in my trail mix. I get this 2lb bag for about $11.00, at Safeway a tiny six ounce bag is $7.49! Again a steal at Costco.
12-Pound Crates of Navel Oranges (CBS Article)
Sure, it only costs $11.99, but it’s not such a good deal if you end up throwing away half the fruit. Same goes for the package of six hearts of romaine lettuce, and the 3-pack of whipped heavy cream (240 servings) unless you’re, say, hosting a sleepover for your child’s entire soccer team. And their opponents. Teri Gault, founder of TheGroceryGame.com , which helps shoppers save on food, says that when it comes to produce, it’s often more cost-effective to shop at your local supermarket and combine coupons with seasonal specials. end article.
- My reply to this is, "Um, CBS, have you ever heard of Mormons? Or maybe just of people having more than two kids that aren't Mormon, they're out there you know." I thought this was so funny, the sarcasm is so blatant it's hilarious. I guess I have a soccer team all to myself to feed. Thank goodness for Costco and their crates of oranges because there are no wasted oranges over in this corner of the field!
- Right now at Safeway Navel Oranges are $1.27 each, did you catch that not lbs, each. That would make this box of oranges about $30.00. Grapefruit range from .50 cents each to $1.79 each, at Safeway. The Grapefruit isn't as drastic a difference, but still a slightly better deal at Costco.
We love Hot Cocoa as I'm sure most of you do. Well if you'll notice the little can of cocoa behind the Star bucks Cocoa, it's $4.99 at Target. Now, on a bit of a tangent I will say Target Archer Farms brand of cocoa is the bomb, I mean it might be some of the best I've tasted, but expensive when you can get this huge can for $13.00 at Costco. I think there is about a quarter of cocoa in that little can compared to this big one. Shockingly the Starbucks can was utilized and filled to the top with cocoa upon opening, whereas the Target brand is not filled to the top, I think it's a little scandalous but it is really good. (Starbucks brand of cocoa is also only seasonal).
Here is the lettuce CBS was saying would go to waste, not around here. I eat salad almost everyday for lunch and we have it every night with dinner, well almost every night. Not wasted around here.
The berries were an okay deal, still better than at Safeway. At Safeway they came in at $3.00 for a small carton half this size, here at Costco they were $3.99, so basically a dollar more got you double the berries. In the summer you get the real deals with strawberries, the cartons can be up to twice this size.
Alright you may be wondering why my bed is in with this post. Well I have some more amazing information for you. In the same CBS article above they had this to say about Costco's sheets and towels:
Sheets and Towels (CBS Article)
“Target and Wal-Mart have this market cornered and they do a great job,” says Budget Fashionista’s Finney. Costco, by contrast, rarely stocks more than a handful of top-selling colors in sheets and towels. “If you want 20 colors, this isn’t the place,” admits Jim Klauer, Costco merchandise manager for bedding and the home. end article.
"What!!!" First of all is he the best merchandise manager? Should he have said that? "This isn't the place if you want twenty different colors." Because, I think I would have said, "world, we don't need twenty different colors! Our sheets are unlike any others, they are uniquely patterned with fine threads of 300 count Egyptian cotton! I might have found my calling as Costco Merchandise Manager when I'm done raising six kids.
Alright here is the deal. I'm just not sure how they came up with this because I just got these sheets for our bed at Costco, they are queen size and $29.99 for the two pillow cases up front, two hiding behind the big white pillows and the fitted and top sheet! They are so soft, they are a dream to sleep in, thank you very much Costco.
Now take a look at this. This is another find in my research. This article comes from Real Simple's Web Site (the magazine):
- The Best Cotton Sheet Sets
$61 to $75
Winner: Target Home
Testers voted these “ridiculously soft” sheets the most comfortable of the bunch. The fitted sheet is finished with strong elastic, so it “holds mattress corners tight without bunching or popping off.” end article.
Testers voted these “ridiculously soft” sheets the most comfortable of the bunch. The fitted sheet is finished with strong elastic, so it “holds mattress corners tight without bunching or popping off.” end article.
This is too much money for me to spend on sheets. Like I said, I'm not sure how they came up with this.
Well, I conclude that if I hadn't started shopping at Costco we would only have three kids because we wouldn't have been able to afford to feed the next three we have. And I realize Costco isn't a good fit for everyone but for our family it's been great. I always go in and buy the same things, with little variation except for maybe around the holidays, which keeps my bill steady and on budget. I would spend at least double to buy the same amount of food at Safeway and for this reason What I Love Most Today is Costco!!!!!!

Wow Shauna, you missed your calling, you should have been a reporter, well said. You know I love Costco. The only thing I have found not to be cheaper is cold cereal which I don't buy often anyway. I think we all have a love affair with Costco. I am not sure if you buy much meat but their meat is hands down the best, tasting, quality and price.
ReplyDeletethat was back when I knew you, when you said you'd never get a Costco account. and look at you now!!!! We love Costco as well, although I am a huge sucker and have a hard time sticking to just my list. I usually come out with extra stuff, so I try to only go 1x a month. this month, I was loving the Calvin Klein jeans but $26! I got me and Emily some. (since we are now the same size!)
ReplyDeleteOMG- I hear you on Costco! I love everything there! You need to look for Organic Alpine mulit-grain bread. You'll love it! Oh, and those Costco bed sheets. Seriously the BEST around! Love how you compared all the prices. You are fabulous and so is your blog! If we lived closer I would beg you for a Costco shopping date (just us- no kids). :) haha!
ReplyDeleteAmen! I love Costco. We go through their grapes, strawberries and carrots almost weekly. Their quality can't be beat either. And their sheets are the best. You SHOULD market for them. I wish we had the organic options here though, maybe soon.
ReplyDeleteRight On STUFT mama. The Organic Alpine multi-grain bread is the best!!!! Bad news though...they do not csrry it at Shaunas Costco. When I go up there I have to take my own. Oh yes, Marie is right. Shauna you should consider a career in journalism as a consumer advice columnist. Maybe when you finish raising those beautiful children you should consider it. Grandma Judy
ReplyDeleteHey to the Amme above, is this my niece? I can't get to your blog-silly so I can comment back to you. Email me with your password. Shaunapi@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's me! You inspired me to start blogging again. I looked at all your pix and i thought how much I missed having the record of my family and the things they do and say. I loved your what i love most, so I am doing what I am thankful for. I think I fixed my profile. Let me know.
ReplyDelete