In all honesty, what I love most today is photography. I've caught it, the photography bug is in full effect. The funny thing is, it was my husband who started our blog. He was the photographer and I wasn't that interested in any of it. Maybe it's because that was back when I had 4 kids, 7 years and under. Yeah, that's it. Ha! Anyhow, my husband couldn't keep up the blog and it was really important to him so he asked me to really try to make it a priority. What do you think? Have I succeeded? I LOVE IT!!!! I love my blog and I have really enjoyed becoming better at photography, learning my camera, and bringing real emotion through pictures, so that families have it captured forever.
What can I say, I love the beach for photos. Who doesn't? As I learn more I realize I don't want my photos to look like the "run of the mill." With digital photography, it seems anybody can take a good picture. I follow a few photographers who I really think have succeeded in finding a real niche for themselves, in that, there is something about their photography that really sets them apart from the others.
If I had to point out a strength in my photography it would be taking close up pictures. That is Kirk's specialty and he taught me well. My weakness would be not knowing my camera well enough, and taking too many pictures out of focus.
I love the beach because you get such a variety of lighting. The really popular thing today is to grab the sunset light, but if I could choose I would probably take a foggy day at the beach like this one. It provides some of the most fantastic lighting.
The Rhyasen Family
The Stepan Family
I brought them to the same beach as above, but with the sunset and no fog, it gives a completely different look. A much more dreamy look. I also really love it.
I love this picture of Wendy and her daughter because it really shows Brooklyn's personality and Wendy's expression is true to her real self as well. She is patient, loving and willing to let her daughter play and be silly.
All of these pictures break my heart. The Stepans are some of our best friends in this world. I've had Kent and Joe (Joseph, back then) coming to my house since they were 2 and 4. I'm so grateful to have been able to capture some beautiful pictures of them. These two pictures of Kent and Joe are priceless. I especially love the one of Kent looking at Joe because they really are not only brothers but the best of friends. It's really touching.
Kaitlyn and Sean (Brother in Law and Niece)
Last but not least, this is a daddy/daughter duo. They both achieved Black Belt this year in Taekwondo. I traveled to Southern California with a few of our older kids to see Kaitlyn test for her black belt and it was really incredible. It's an amazing test to watch because the audience gets to see the culmination of years and years of hard work. She did fantastic. She held it together and she's a humble black belt, for sure. That's my favorite thing about my niece. So looking back at these pictures is extra special because she hadn't tested yet in these pictures, but her dad had achieved his already.
I have worlds to travel when it comes to photography. But, I enjoy it immensely and I am happy to be developing, what I think could be a talent. That said, What I Love Most is photography.
P.S. Here are some of my favorite photographers:
She is especially unique as a photographer because one of her specials is to come and live with you for the day in your own dwelling (household) and capture your family morning until evening doing all the normal things, but she captures the most incredible moments.
Anya at Anya Adores
Anya has become a dear friend of mine through the blog sphere, I'm trying to get her out here from Denmark to give me some lessons, but I think she's too busy for now. :) She has a unique eye and she photographs her two daughters in such a beautiful, unique way. I just love it. She also has a talent for capturing architecture and her natural surroundings, which I find special because a lot of photographers specialize in either people or landscape.
HaileyDevine at Something Devine
She's lovely and her real talent is collecting vintage cameras and making movies with her husband and her brother. They are a dynamic trio. She's great.
Helen at ah, that's love
Helen has also become a sweet friend of mine through blogging and I LOVE the way she processes and crops her pictures. She has really found her own look and that's what I'm striving to do.
Kendra at our little almanac
Her photos are a breath of fresh air. She just has a touch. And her children may the cutest of children. When you see her and her husband you'll see why. :)
Davi at Band of Brothers
Last, but not least. She is big on Instagram and she has perfected the sunset picture. Yet, her touch is very unique. She's really talented. She takes family photos but she's booked for the rest of the year.
P.P.S I feel a little famous to see my photography work printed really big on a wall. It's awesome. :)





















Love your photography! And love that it's blogging month again so I'll have lots of your posts to read. :)
ReplyDeleteI have learned a few trick recently about focus. Aperture is important. Too small of a number will give you that nice bokah effect , but with more than 2 people the f number should not drop below a 6. Also shutter speed should not drop below 2x the length of lens you are using. So if you are using a 85 shutter speed should be 1/170 otherwise you need to increase aperture or ISO . Another reason for blurry photos would be having your camera on one shot for groups it should be on al servio. Also a tripod us good for big groups because hand shake will make photos soft. This I learned this week after wondering why some of my photos were out of focus. Hugs-kelleyn
ReplyDeletegreat photos! I loved seeing the Stepans. they look great!
ReplyDeleteShauna, I have to investigate these photography inspirations of yours! I feel like I would learn quite a bit about what informs your style from them. :) I did a little test with myself and captured the first two words that I thought of when I think of you and your photography: energy and love. Both of these things infuse all of your photos and I think that is what makes them so wonderful to look at, be they landscape, family portraits, outtakes, you name it! I am so glad your husband asked you to get out of your comfort zone and blog because otherwise, we would never have met!
ReplyDeleteHad time this morning to look over the sites you mentioned and I agree they are amazing. I love the carefree daily life quality of these photographers. Her is one of my favorite sites though not necessarily a photography blog. http://lovetaza.com/
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great day!
OHHHHHHHH seriously Shauna thanks so much for your lovely words. However looking at these images I'm not sure you need my help at all, these images are all fab and you have grown so much as a photographer since I have known you. I think there is a huge market for photographers in the US - so why not give it a go. Here it is harder, as the country is small, and as you said - everyone is a photographer :) And one day I will make it to California and we will meet - many hugs Axxxxx
ReplyDelete