Sunday, April 01, 2012

Family History


This last Wednesday I decided to surprise my children and take them on a trip through San Francisco to Santa Rosa to visit with my grandparents, their great grandparents.  My Grandma Pat and Grandpa Donald, who you see in the picture below are very dear to me.  They have been there all my life.  I visited with them frequently growing up and lived with them for a short time when I was younger.  I have so many memories etched in my mind and heart with them.  I love them so, and am grateful my children know them too.

 
I wonder what about my grandparents stands out to my children.  What do my children especially notice about their great grandparents' home?   Growing up there was so much in their home, about them, the way they did things that stood out to me.  Things I will never forget.

During this trip I wanted to document what some of those things were.  Of course I didn't get around to getting pictures of half the things that have burned strong memories within me but I was able to get a few.

 
During this particular visit my grandma sat down with me to go through some precious pictures of our family, ancestors, documents, letters and so forth.  She has a distant cousin who had gotten a hold of her and wanted her to have these treasures.  The hand written note is of my Grandma Pat's mother, Dorris O'Donnell, who I knew very well.  She passed on when I was twelve.  She was an amazing woman, robust, small, beautiful, healthy and very wise.

I received many cards growing up with this beautiful work of art that was her handwriting.  

 
This is a letter my grandmother's distant cousin had, written by my Great Grandmother O'Donnell.  It is about the events that led up to her father's death.  My Grandma Pat's cousin was kind enough to send it back to her.  What a kind gesture, I thought, so my grandma has a record of her mother's thoughts and writing.

 



















The picture above to the right is my Great Grandma Dorris O'Donnell.  To the left, the baby is my great grandmother also, the young woman below that is my Grandmother Pat, who you also see below, holding Summer.  The little girl to the left of her as a young woman is her mother as a toddler.  The biggest picture under all of the others is a great aunt of my Grandma Pat's.

 
Here is something that brings back so many memories.  This picture has always been placed in their eating area.  When I was little I would sit at their breakfast table and stare at this picture.  They always served tea, a soft boiled egg, or high fiber cereal and a choice of banana, orange, grapefruit with whole wheat toast.

During breakfast she would sit me on her lap and sing or recite nursery rhymes to me.  Of which one of my favorite's was "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe..."  I would sit and listen and play with a pink mole she had on her chin.  It reminded me of a pearl, soft and round.  She had it removed long ago.



Hopefully you can see that these glasses have the world's continents etched onto them.  I told my children I have been looking at and using these glasses since my first memories.  It's so interesting how so many memories and thoughts can be wrapped up in simple things like paintings and glasses, yet they are.

My grandmother asked the children if they could find our continent, luckily they could along with knowing the correct oceans on either side.  I wiped my brow on this one, and thought, "phew."  Seeing as my Grandma Pat has a Ph.D in Geography from UCLA with a minor focus in Mathematics my children better know what continents are what!

I'm sure she was further impressed when Gwyneth pointed out which continent Egypt was on (her current focus of fascination) and where the "Tigris and Euphrates" rivers would be in comparison.  I"m glad something is being gained from our study of the Ancient Histories.  
 
Here she is still looking radiant and beautiful.  Although I have to admit that I don't see her like this.  I still see her the way I did when I was little.  So to see her here is different.  She has aged but not in my mind or in real time when I am visiting with her.



After all day and having a nice dinner with them, from Santa Rosa I traveled across the North Bay, across the San Raphel  Bridge to meet my husband Kirk at the Oakland Temple.  You see, since my children are "professional snowboarders" now, my husband is what I call a "snow chaser" and tries to catch the best snow.  He said the next day would be great snow and  took the three older kids from the Temple, our meeting point, straight up to Tahoe.
 
There they are snowboards a top the car.  Their sweet daddy packed all of their snowboard gear up and made their lunches for the big trip.

 
 I went home with these cherubs.  We've been spending a lot of quality and quantity time together since my big kids are going snowboarding about once a week now.

We had a great trip at my grandma and grandpa's.  I love them dearly. It's fun to see my children get to know them and spend time in their home, where no doubt they will one day tell me the certain things that have brought special memories to their hearts as well.

 
Posted by Picasa

25 comments:

  1. That is so amazing that your grandmother has a Ph.D. That is so cool! So glad you had the opportunity to spend the day with your grandparents and learn more about your family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice, always so great to see them. Yes, the Ph.D is cool. My dad use to take to me to UCLA where she became a professor. I would sit in the back of her lecture hall and watch her teach. I was so young, I barely remember. Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  2. I wish my handwriting was that nice! I can't write in a straight line on unlined paper to save my life. Looks like a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her letter is like a work of art, something you don't see very often anymore.. Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  3. Fact: The first thing I thought when I saw that handwriting is that if money were not an object, I would absolutely have that re-created as a font! Just, wow.

    Also, as one who went through a major Egypt-phase as a pup, that Gwyneth is busy plotting maps like that is just fantastically adorable. It is definitely good to know that the time you've spent on that topic has sunk in!

    p.s. Happy Monday, lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, I always love your comments. I sense you have a fun, spunky and kind personality. I love that about you. You make me feel so good with your sweet comments. Same to you-lovely lady! Take care,

      Shauna

      PS. I'm glad you can relate to Gwyneth. The other day she told me one of her favorite things to do is "read maps." And it's getting her in trouble because her best friend and brother Reece is becoming increasingly annoyed with her because a lot of times she wants to "read" instead of play with him. Tough, I can see both sides. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:43 PM

    Like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny Kerri-you face booker! I will never be one. I'm a blogger and always will be! Hahahhaa. Love you so much,

      Shauna

      Delete
  5. You seriously have the most beautiful family. Every one of them. I loved reading all about your happy memories of your sweet grandparents. There is just something that stands out about the little things at the homes of our beloved family...certain parts seem to be etched in our memory forever.

    I ADORE the handwriting on that letter. I bet you could look that up under PERFECTION in the dictionary. :)

    Hope you are having a HAPPY week, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, you sweet thing! What a lovely comment. Thank you really, so nice of you to say. It is so interesting the certain things that stay with us compared with the other millions of things we see in our lives with our families.

    Yes, I had to put that letter on the blog because it's just so pretty and perfect, a work of art.

    Happy week to you too!- xo :)

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun priceless visit. I hope your grandmother is around a long, long time so the kids can get to know her and she them. It's amazing how age softens people, my dad's mom used to be so critical of us and now that she is nearing 90 she is such a sap and can't bear to leave us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she is here a long time too. She loves the kids, although I have to say she has never been one to be critical.

      Hope you're having a great spring break! Miss you,

      Shauna

      Delete
  8. This post makes me so warm ad fuzzy and cements my belief in family even more!! Your grandma is so gorgeous! BTW, just found ur blog via a friend's blog comment box:-) You have a wonderful family and great blog! Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    -Jyoti
    Style-Delights Blog
    Let's Twitter Together
    Friend and Fan on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting!!! Thank you for the compliment, very nice of you. Yes, I think my grandma is gorgeous too. She's about eighty, I think she looks much younger. :) Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh....what a precious post. It warmed my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val!! So good to hear from you-I'm glad you liked the post. It was so fun to recall memories. I love it. And I love them. Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  10. what a sweet post. I remember meeting your grandma once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's right you've met her a few times at the pool and at my house during parties. Fun times, Jill. Will we ever have more? I would love to live in Washington, maybe? Never know...love,

      Shauna

      Delete
  11. Every time I think your family couldn't get any cuter/sweeter/more inspiring I am totally wrong! What a very sweet post...your grandmother seems like an amazing lady. A PhD? So impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ameena!! Thank you for this compliment. I do have a sweet family, but they also have their moments (kids, I mean). Now my Grandma, she is very sweet always. She is an amazing lady and she is always happy to have us around, she's great. Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  12. My great granny, who passed a couple of months ago, was one of my most favorite people in the world. I have so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember your post about her, very touching. We can relate for sure. I feel the same about my grandmother, one of my favorites. Take care

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post - the small things one remember are so important! They sure knew how to write a letter back then - I once had a great handwriting since I wrote a lot of letters, but it´s definately worse nowadays. The down side with emails!

    Glad you have them in your life, that is a true treasure! :-) Happy easter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Easter to you too! That's funny that you mentioned that you had nice handwriting. I use to have great penmanship and could write cursive really nicely too, but something about going through college and taking notes mercilessly has changed my handwriting, it's not so great anymore. Take care,

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so lovely - I wish I had beautiful handwriting like in those letters!

    ReplyDelete