Friday, April 20, 2012

Celebrating Spring

Spring is really here.  We have the pictures to prove it!!!!!  This week we have been busy celebrating spring in California.   To start my children went around our neighborhood taking pictures of all the blooming flowers.  


A close up.  Do I know what kind of flower this is?  No. But it's pretty....



Right here in our backyard we have a momma bird that has made her nest in our very own Bougainvillea tree.  Aren't they precious?  They've hatched and we can see little fuzz balls with their necks stretched and wide open mouths waiting for food.  So cute!!!!!!!!!!  

Remember these shoes from Easter, it's all the girls will wear now.  They "looooooove" them.  


My husband is studying to take a big test to further his career.  He is gone from home twice in the week until late at night.  By the time the children are done with their learning at home, I am ready to get out.  I took them out for a picnic on a beautiful evening.   I had a coupon for pizza.  I got a large pizza and a free salad.  I stopped off at the market.....


got some juice boxes.....



brought some oranges.........



and the kids begged me for gumballs.  The pizza parlor was right next door to this candy shop, Powell's.  Convenient huh?  Pizza aaaaand candy.  That makes so much sense.



They succeeded in their begging.  


And I thought this was such a classic shot.


I took them to picnic at a park in Los Gatos, called Bachman Park.  My husband and I lived in downtown Los Gatos when we were first married.  I love it there!!!!  



The picnic.  Georgia is eating with her new found friend.  My kids say she is amazing because wherever she goes she makes friends.  I love you Georgia.  


Tums had to eat in the pizza box.  I mean why would she eat anywhere else?  



She also devoured whatever oranges were left over.  



Baseball was the name of the game this evening during our picnic.  More specifically a game called "pickle."



The mit, the ball...



Uh Oh!  Gwyneth is in a pickle!!!!!!!!!



Now Reece is in a pickle and I'm trying to tag him.  



Almost...


Gwyneth tries her hand at hitting.  Kalen told her he'd pay her a quarter if she hit five in a row.  She did.  
Usually I'm not fond of my children betting, but this was cute.  An incentive if you will.


Kalen replenishing, we got to the park at 5:30 and stayed until 8:00pm.  So much fun.  



The little ones played in the sandbox.  Which, I must mention this sandbox is the coolest.  Los Gatos is a small town of it's own, a hushed community.  This park is nestled in some gorgeous homes, characteristic of Los Gatos also.  So, the sandbox;  there are always a ton of toys in the sandbox.  People just leave them and they are always there for kids to play with.  I swear there are toys in there that have been there for years.


After the park we drove around the neighborhoods catching the last of the light and picked the homes we would "buy."  
I love this because of the wrap around porch.  


Gwyneth liked this, I think the American Flag was really the charmer for her.  



Kalen picked this one.....



Reece and Georgia like the "Spanish" style, apparently.  


The next day we had our first SWIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We went to the Wallworks.  This is my dear, dear friend Thira.  She is the best.  There is nobody like her.  I've never met anybody so inclusive, so loving, and so passionate about her beliefs.  She is a gem, a treasure, a love.  

She sent me an email after we spent the day with them saying, "I loved seeing you with all of your six kids.  It makes me cry to see you with your kids, you do such a good job.  I love you."  See what I mean?  She's a forever friend.  I will do a post on just her someday.  


I love, love, love this picture.  It's reminiscent of the "Sand Lot."  



Gwyneth is a really strong swimmer.  She swam Shane around on her back, even in the deep end.  Thanks Gwyneth, you're the best.  


More fun for Shane with Gwyneth.



Kalen took charge of Tums.  He swam with her, as much as he would let her.  Kalen, love to you too, for helping me with the little ones and being so great and hands on.  You kids make my heart sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Another beautiful day swimming.  I love my life, I love my family, I love my friends.  I am surrounded by beauty, happiness, laughing, playing, hard work, learning, babies, big kids, little kids, and love, love, love.  


21 comments:

  1. Oh, Shauna. I just loved this. At first I was like Oh, Yes. A Photo Safari in the Backyard. Some Eggs. How Nice.

    It was like, a really good story.

    But then we got to go on a picnic and to the pool...You like, legitimately brought us on an adventure!

    I am so proud of Gwyneth for taking control of the situation and knocking down five in a row. Definite girl power moment.

    p.s. I think we all need to be wearing The Easter Shoes. They are so fabulous. The act of over-accessorizing for every occasion is a skill to be cultivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat I love your last statement, it is so well said. You give the best comments. Happy Weekend to you friend!!!

      Shauna

      Delete
  2. Great pics! It looks so sunny where you are, I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, the sun has been great. Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I am not kidding you, but I think I have a picture of that house with the wrap around porch cut out from a magazine from like when I was 14 years old as my dream home. How sweet are those baby eggs. How are you feeling? Do you homeschool? I feel for you with your husband being gone. My was gone 2 nights this week in Chicago. Still haven't packed. Trying to get through the laundry. Though I did get the teacher gifts out today. yahoo. Children withdraw from school. Now I just need to go to Post office and and get a hold on our mail and get maybe an hour nap before Addy wakes up. I was up till 4 last night finishing things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling great these days. After about fifteen weeks of pregnancy I'm not sick anymore. Yes, I am homeschooling. During the month of April we always have a family home evening devoted to finishing the year strong with their school work and we do an incentives chart for the learning that they do through summer. We never stop math (in summer they pick three days during the week to do it), they have to read three classics, and they do some writing. So, we hammered that all out and they're off and running.

      Yes, you have a lot to do! Packing is so hard for me. I"m not the best. I"ve gotten better over the years because we go to Tahoe for two weeks at the end of each summer so I am better, but still. I struggle with decisions like that.

      Happy packing!!

      Shauna

      Delete
  4. I love Summer in the pizza box, way too cute! So tell us more about Kirk's job plan, good for him, same company? And love the house with a wrap around porch. You know our home was new, but of course the grass is always greener & wouldn't you know I would love to sink my teeth into an old fixer upper. And by that I mean come up with all of the fabulous ideas and have Glenn carry them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marie a fixer upper would be so great especially with someone like Glenn to do it!

      Kirk is studying VM ware. It's a virtual software program that allows engineers to set up network systems, programs, run software-virtually. It's a huge deal right now and if you know this stuff you are worth a lot more. He said it's hard. He studies with Kraig in a "real time" lab twice a week, he's gone until about 11:00. He's hoping that it will help him get into Kraig's company (North Carolina) or if not there, he's hoping that it will let him carve his way into a new career path. He's excited and takes this test mid June.

      Delete
    2. Good luck Kirk.

      Delete
  5. good luck to Kirk. so this post reminded me of 2 random things. swimming--remember when Gwyneth could swim around all by herself when she was like, 2? and people would freak out when they saw her in the pool, thinking she was going to drown, but you were always so calm--and would say, "she's fine. she can swim!" she was amazing...

    and Los Gatos. recently a friend suggested we have dinner in a Seattle area she described as quaint, little shops to walk around etc...it was like she was describing Los Gatos. I was SO excited to go out to dinner. and when we got there it was like the ghetto. SO the opposite of Los Gatos. and I was thinking about my poor friend, who went on and on about how this little shopping area was so amazing. I was thinking, obviously, you've never been to Los Gatos. I left very dissapointed. remember that italian place you took us to last summer? sometimes I still fantasize about their fettacini alfredo. yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, this is hilarious-no sounds nothing like LG. I'm glad you like the restaurant, I love it there, so quaint. More than that I loved seeing you. That was a fun night, I can't wait to see you again. Love you,

      Shauna

      Delete
  6. Beautiful spring outings! Pizza, gum balls, pickles, house hunting...oh my! I would love to do all that! I miss the Bay Area and it's beauty. I think I would LOVE to hang out with you and the fam. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky we would love to hang out with you too!!! I am so happy for you and your family and this new little blessing! I find out tomorrow what I am having!!! Love you,

      Shauna

      Delete
  7. It's been so chilly here in LA that I'm surprised you've been enjoying such nice temps! Not sure what's going on...they keep saying there's a heat wave but I'm walking around with a sweater on.

    Love your family...love that your little one sits in a pizza box and you are okay with that. I think you are a fantastic mother!

    I've never heard of Los Gatos before?? Not sure how that's possible?

    Enjoy the weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ameena! It's so funny that you mentioned not hearing of Los Gatos because I'm telling you I was thinking of you when I was there! You would love it!!!! I know you like the big city vibe with gourmet food and such, and this is different but still really gourmet. Los Gatos is a small town built around the Blvd, N. Santa Cruz Ave. where there are tons of boutiques, main shopping (like J. Crew, Apple Store, etc.) and fine dining as well as low key dining that is still fantastic. Our favorite places to eat are Opa (low key Greek food, and Dio Deka in the Los Gatos Hotel-Dio Deka is fine Greek food, it is some of the best food I've ever had, Andales is a great Mexican joint along with Pedros. My all time favorite Italian restaurant is there and it's called The Pasteria on East Main and it has the most quaint ambiance, my favorite dish is a pear and gorganzola salad to start with and the main dish being a butternut squash ravioli-so good. The Los Gatos Cafe has great breakfasts, famous for breakfast actually. My favorite Thai food was here too, but they moved long ago. I think would love to visit here!!!! I'm sure you would find some great food and great shopping.

      Glad to hear from you too friend!!

      Shauna

      Delete
  8. Shauna, Hi! Yes, the test took 3 hours. Would you please send me your e-mail address, so that I can send you a repky directly, or could you add me to your goodle circle. my e-mail is kelleynr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it ALL!! Your family is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely pics, all of them! It´s easy to see that you all enjoyed this, and hey - pizza picnic is the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pizza and gum balls sound divine. Sign me up! You'll adopt me, right? I love the little nest of eggs. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the pics and adventures!
    are those azaleas? they look kinda like them

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun!!! This is why I miss Cali. And congrats on your boy! So exciting! I love Thira, too. She is definitely the best. ;) what a fun family you have.

    ReplyDelete