I cook almost every night of the week, a mostly homemade meal for my family. I also make a good breakfast for my family most days and they can have cereal during the other couple of days. Since my kids are at home, there are so many of them and a couple of them are still babies, I don't have much time for extra cooking and playing around in the kitchen.
For months I've been collecting recipes that I have really wanted to make. And I have a funny personality because I have been waiting for a perfect moment to make these recipes. Except no time is ever perfect so I had to just do it. Gwyneth and I made four recipes, two of which are appetizers I think would be great on Turkey Day and the other two are treats that just appealed to me.
For months I've been collecting recipes that I have really wanted to make. And I have a funny personality because I have been waiting for a perfect moment to make these recipes. Except no time is ever perfect so I had to just do it. Gwyneth and I made four recipes, two of which are appetizers I think would be great on Turkey Day and the other two are treats that just appealed to me.
I got this recipe from Val So Cal. I looooooove figs. My great grandmother lived in Santa Paula, near Ventura in Southern California. She had a fig tree on her property and when we would visit I would gather as many as I could, sit in the sun by the tree and eat them all.
This is so easy because it's a no cooking required recipe. Just throw the ingredients together. It calls for figs, gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, (I used pecans), endive leaves and a drizzle of honey. What in the world is there that's not to like here? It was soooo good. Gwyneth and I polished that plate off.
This next recipe is found in the current December issue of In Style Magazine as their feature appetizer for Thanksgiving. Most of you know I love yams and sweet potatoes, (sorry Jill). I had to try this!!!
You cut the yams into medallions. Roast them at 450. Meanwhile you make a little salad of celery, minced cranberry, pecans, parsley, shallots, 4tsp of red wine vinegar and 1 tsp Dijon mustard. Mix it, pull out the yams and top them with the salad. They were like little poppers. (next time I"m using balsamic vinegar.)
Top it off with Goat Cheese and it was excellent. Kalen and I ate most of these, he liked these over the figs and endive.
Next...I've made plenty of pumpkin muffins. But, when my friend Jill posted these I thought I wanted to give them a try because I've never been super thrilled over the pumpkin muffins I've made. These are the ones for sure.
I'm not sure why they are better than others, since the ingredients don't seem too different but they are so moist and flavorful and look how beautifully they puff up, my others never did this. For the flour content I used half whole wheat and they were still moist and fluffy. And actually, Gwyneth saw these on my friends blog about a week ago and made them that day. So this is the second time making them, courtesy of Gwyneth.
While we were marathon cooking a battle ensued in our kitchen. And it always starts out funny and fun and then it ends with me yelling....I really hope I'm not the only one here. After I can't handle the "fun" chaos anymore I ask for them to please stop.
But then I realize I've said it fifty times and it dawns on me that I'm totally being ignored. So I yell, "HELLO!!!!!! WHO AM I?! And they respond, "Mom", in unison. And then yelling again, I say, "DOES THAT NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU PEOPLE ANYMORE!!!!

I'm always giving the lecture, "IT'S FUN UNTIL IT'S NOT FUN ANYMORE...FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!".................... Dang kids, and their ways.......
I'm always giving the lecture, "IT'S FUN UNTIL IT'S NOT FUN ANYMORE...FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!".................... Dang kids, and their ways.......
Finally, are you surprised I am making one more tart? I got it from Kendra's blog here. Hers turned out better looking, I didn't use enough Phyllo dough. But, it was still great and the kids ate it up after dinner no problem.
Seriously, if you're looking for something to bring to Thanksgiving but you don't make pies or cakes or you just don't want to, this is easy and really good.
Alrighty then...today was marathon day in the kitchen and that's the only way I think I can try the recipe's I want. I just have to do it all at once, crazy kids and everything!!!! I loved it all. I'm doing both appetizers for Thanksgiving and we will be eating the muffins tomorrow with our breakfast, since the tart is already gone..... :) What I love most today is FOOD!!!!!!!

Mmmmmm.....
ReplyDeleteglad you liked the pumpkin muffins. that apple tart looks delicious!! I will definitely be trying that. I wish I liked more foods. more healthy foods, specifically. I really do. but baby steps. I recently just learned to like tomatoes on my hamburgers!! :) are you proud of me? I do a kids version of your yam recipe. but with thick slices of a regular potato, topped with BBQ sauce, bacon bits, green onion and cheese.
ReplyDeleteI am no chef, , but it looks like the pastry should have been folded back towards apples. Did it ask for butter because the pastry looks like it was too dry. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving! Your children are much more adventurous then mine. They would have only tried the apple tart. I love food too. I have a recipe for fig pizza you are going to love. When I get home I will send it too you! K
ReplyDeleteI might need to make some of these goodies!!! YUM. You are amazing. I love seeing you pop up on my blog. You are my favorite commenter. I hope you and your family have joyous Thanksgiving!!!
ReplyDeleteOHH your cooking looks delicious Shauna - and what fun moments in the kitchen and the batter incident:-)
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely day, and YUM you made me a bit hungry already:)
Ax
Hey it's Marie, I tried to comment a few times yesterday on my phone en route to Fresno but I am not signed in on my phone yet to my google account and couldn't remember the password, no surprise there. Glen took Ethan to that movie the night of Emry's bday party and he loved it.
ReplyDeleteYour cooking looks fabulous. I must admit I was a little bummed when Glenn said we were coming here to Fresno for Thanksgiving but after all the parties and cooking and cleaning I've been doing lately I am soooooooo happy to just set the table or whip the cream, I needed a break and it's always fun here at the Kinross'.
Have a fabulous Thanksgiving, probably won't be online again until we get home but I'll be thinking of you, great job cooking it up even with all your cute helpers.
Oh and I love Gwyneth's glasses, she is so cute.
Apparently I'm reading your posts backwards. Thanks for the fig recipes, I want to make these!
ReplyDeleteYUM! I love trying new recipes...and these are delicious looking (I love the apple one the most...my fave fruit).
ReplyDelete