Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What I love most today are family traditions!

Really what I love the most today is cultivating family traditions.   Here we are at the start of another Christmas season!  We have been cutting our tree down for years.  We love having a real tree.
 
It's a humble tree this year, which is really what we have every year since our home is pretty small now for all of nine people. 
 
 
My kids crack me up, I turn around to find them in "huddle" position, preparing for their traditional game of Sardines at the vast tree farm, where the hiding places are endless.
 
She really is cute...but she's not to be trusted...
 
ever...
 
I know, I know...you were wishing you could have her to help you strap your Christmas tree to your car too.  It's not going to happen though, since she's in really high demand.  :)
 
Kirk took a half day to meet us at the tree farm.  And when we got home we set it up, just like every year.  Our favorite part of the "set up" is enjoying the tree with all of it's lights off to see the tree's beautiful glow. 

This year we issued a challenge to our children.  It is that every time they see our tree or any Christmas tree to think of some service they can do for others.  That the ornaments, the countless ornaments as it seems, can be seen as the many people we can serve this Christmas season and throughout the year.  We asked them to pray for inspiration as to who they can serve.  I told them they might be really surprised, as I often am when I pray this way.  Kirk and I are taking the challenge too.  It can be anyone, someone right here in our own family or someone may come to mind that they don't really know.  I love prayer and it's inspiration that guides us to action.  I am most excited to see where our prayers take us and how we can serve.  My heart is full this Christmas season.  What a wonderful time to find those who are in need, who are mourning, who are hurt, who need love. 

I love the idea of seeing our tree this way.  Not an object just for gifts but a reminder of how we can better serve others.  What I love most today are family traditions. 
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Next year I want to cut a tree down.This year Costco had them for $27. I couldn't pass on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun, Lanny and LoRane gave us yet another tree last week when we were up there. They said it is too big and heavy for them, they are going to get something smaller and more manageable for them to put up this year. I think they are just looking for another reason to go shopping :)

    I love the thought about the Christmas Tree reminding us to do service for others, I will for sure incorporate that thought into our night tonight, love it all.

    Have a great Thursday, I have institute this morning & then plan on doing a little Christmas shopping, love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to wait until we get back from the hospital to put up our tree. It requires more bending over than I am currently in the mood for. But I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reminder for your kids...high five Shauna!

    ReplyDelete