For a lot of us the piano is a fleeting thought, an
instrument, a really big instrument at that. For
three of my children the piano is much more.
As a parent I've always wanted a few key things for my children. At the top of that list has been to help them
develop their talents. So far, it's been
one of the hardest things we've endeavored to do as parents, but it's also been very
worth it.
My
oldest son, Kalen has been playing for six years. My oldest daughter, Gwyneth
has been playing for five and our second son, Reece has been playing for seven
months. They are by no means concert
pianists. However, the older two have
put in a lot of years, hours and hard work and as a result they are playing the
piano very well. It has been such a joy
to see them progress. And one aspect about this journey with the piano I love most is that I've learned that there are ebbs and flows in the learning curve. Sometimes the kids are super motivated to practice and then a couple months will go by and it's like pulling teeth to get them to practice. It's been no different with the three that can play the piano. And since we want all of our children to play, I know what I'm in for.
Now,
back to developing talents being hard on parents. When people listen to my oldest son play we
sometimes hear, "wow, he's really talented, he's got a gift." Talented; yes. Gifted?
I don't know. And this is where
it gets tricky. This may sound crazy but I
often say to people, "we deserve most of the credit behind the fact that
they can even play the piano." Why? Because, I'm the one that makes them
practice. I'm the one that for six years, has come up with motivational methods (rewards) to keep their fingers drumming away at
the keys, and I'm the one that disciplines them when they don't practice. Here's a funny story and in the end one that I was very pleased with:
About a
year and a half ago, I asked Gwyneth to play me her songs the night before her
piano lessons. She sat down and could
not play any of the four songs she had been assigned for the week. This doesn't usually happen. It just means that somehow, in the controlled chaos of our family, she flew under the
radar and I never noticed she hadn't practiced.
At that time all I asked from her was about twenty minutes of practice
per day. So, I multiplied 20 minutes by 7
days in the week. That's 140 minutes or
2 hours and 20 minutes. I told her she
better get started because that's how long she was going to practice. It was about 7:00pm in the evening. You can imagine what happened next. Literal wailing and gnashing of teeth. I calmly sat by and told her that whenever
she wanted to get started was fine with me, but that, of course the more time
spent crying was more time wasted. She
did this for twenty minutes. Finally,
she asked, "can I break it up into twenty minute increments and have a
five minute break in between?" I
saw no reason why not, so I said, "sure." The two hours and twenty minutes went by and
she ended up playing the last hour with no breaks.
Now, to
take a step back and reflect. Some might
say, "why not have let her feel the natural consequence of going to her lessons
ill-practiced and embarrassed only to let her teacher deal with her." Because we all know our children and I know
mine. Gwyneth would have cared
less. She would have thought,
"great, I can sit there having not practiced and hear a little lecture
from my teacher."
Guess
what happened? The next day at her piano
lesson, she played all four songs and afterward, her teacher looked at her and
said, "Great job, I can tell you really practiced these." I of course sat there feeling like it was one
of my greatest parenting moments ever but I also felt like it paid off. In the car ride home I told Gwyneth, with
total sincerity, that she was lucky if not blessed to have a mother like me,
that would not only push her to fulfill her responsibilities and talents but also, to help her be
the greatest person she can be.
(Gwyneth's been playing for five years: I love this piece, it has lots of emotion. Can you hear the soldiers getting weary and slowing down? She played this just the other day).
And
then guess what happened next? About a
week later the Tiger Mom Article was written.
After I read it, I loved it. Yes,
there are some things in it that are totally taboo and un-relatable to American
parents, like calling your children names but most of it rang true to my
ears. This was my favorite part of the
article:
"What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you're good at it. To get good at anything you have to work, and children on their own never want to work, which is why it is crucial to override their preferences. This often requires fortitude on the part of the parents because the child will resist; things are always hardest at the beginning, which is where Western parents tend to give up."
(Reece has been playing for seven months!!! Just beginning, I love this stage because they love to practice!!!!)
I think this part of the article speaks for itself and I will end by saying this, the piano, once a fleeting thought is no more. When I hear that word it does and will no doubt conjure up many memories of my children playing and trying. Memories of our son playing the hymns for us during our Family Home Evenings, memories of children crying and pacing saying, "do I have toooooo," memories of beautiful music being produced in our own home. For my children, I know they have learned some of the most valuable lessons on that bench. Lessons on trying, not giving up, being motivated and most important that when you really put hard work and effort into something it grows into something fun. And that is what I've seen happen with my own eyes, in my own home. And for this what I love most today is the Piano and the "Tiger Mom"......but mostly the Piano. :)
PS. My oldest son is learning about three different songs right now, one of them being his Christmas piece. Look forward to his video in a month.
What a pretty song that G played. I wouldn't really call you tiger mom. She made her girls play for hours. It wasn't good enough to just play they had yo be the best. Don't forget it backfired with child number two. We finally pulled our second son out of karate. I wanted him to get his black belt, but the coach told us he was just not motivated and was wasting our money. We just read a book called teaching your child how to succeed and it says you really need to allow your child to fail because the motivation must come from within. This us one reason why Ivy League schools such as Harvard has not produced any real entrepreneur because most of the kids who go to these schools have been coddled all their lives . I had to stop being Tiger mon with my kids because it was causing to much unhappiness in our home. It is not a part of heavenly fathers plan. I do think that you are right though that each mother knows their child and their capabilities . I can hear the love in your voice. I am sure that your children enjoy playing the piano and what a gift you are giving them. Years ago I asked my son if he would like to play and his reply was no I would rather not. If you want me to I will but I don't like music. I decided it was one battle I wasn't willing to take on.
ReplyDeleteKelleyn, you are right, I am really not a "tiger mom" so to speak. But, I do know that with something like the piano they have to actually be able to play in order to have it be fun. And I've seen that happen with each one of them. I guess as a parent I really believe my children don't know (most of the time) what they have within them unless they're shown.
DeleteI agree with you %100 on the comment about Harvard,for sure. My husband and I have a book that we have been referring to for years, it's called How To Make Your Child a Winner by Victor B. Cline. He was called to the General Sunday School Presidency in the late seventies in our church. I love this book. And yes, being coddled will not give us results. I'm trying to avoid that with my children. Hence the hard work at the piano. I didn't go into this on my blog because it would have been even longer but I believe strongly in making my children work hard. We don't live on a farm and it's my job to provide opportunities where they have to work hard. I think most of us are dealing with this-creating opportunities for hard work.
Yes, you do hear love in my voice!!!! And my kids love the piano. They've worked hard for what they've achieved and they love that they can make the piano...play. :)
I knew you would have a big opinion on this! :) Thanks for sharing,
Shauna xoxoxoxxoxxo
I enjoyed their pieces but I loved hearing your voice once again.
ReplyDeleteAll the hard work is paying off, good for all of you. There is nothing easy about teaching your children any new skill, lots of 'wailing & gnashing of teeth' as you said :)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to use that Gwyneth story to get my kids to practice more. they thought it was the worst story every and said you are really mean. I said, "no, she's being a good mom. what I should be doing" thanks for the reminder. sometimes it's easy to give in too many times and get in a parenting rut. I need to be more consistent and strict. also, loved the Kalen pictures. and great job swimming!! that's exciting.
ReplyDeleteI will absolutely be remembering that practice-trick for my own children some day (along with The Potty Training Trick). I learn the best parenting ideas from you Shauna, seriously.
ReplyDeleteP.s. I absolutely agree that things are only truly fun once you're good at them.
You could never be a Tiger Mom...you are way too good of a mom to be one! I'm definitely bordering on a Tiger Mom though - ridiculous high expectations and ridiculous low patience level. Recipe for disaster!
ReplyDeleteI took piano for 10 years. I'm still terrible at it. I think your kids are far more talented. :)
What!!!!!!!!! Ameena, noboday takes piano for ten years and is lousy at it. You're a modest woman, I love that about you. I would love to hear you play sometime. Do you have a piano? Do you still play? What ages were you when you were taking lessons? I would love to know!!!! Take care,
DeleteShauna xoxoxo
I love this post. So much truth. I want to be a consistant and persistant parent. I'm gonna need to work on that pronto!
ReplyDeleteI love their pieces! So awesome!