On Thursday evening we all got into the car to make a visit to the Hale's home, some of our best friends in this world. Visiting the Hales is almost like visiting another reality. Almost 8 years ago, a friend of mine told me that she had met this family in our church, with five kids. She said they were an amazing family. The minute I heard this, for some reason, I knew we would meet this family and that we would become great friends for life. This family was the Hales family.
Back then Adrienne only had five kids and I had three. Today, she is expecting ten and we are finished with seven children. I would venture to say the Hales are like nobody you've ever met. They are a happy, talented, disciplined, thoughtful, and unique family. They home school, they have no television and they never have. They don't play video games and they live on 9 acres, where their children are free to run and explore, be creative and learn.
Adrienne and Sam often talk about the incredible parents they had themselves, especially Adrienne. She has shared many stories with me about her own mother. I have adopted some of my own traditions for my family based on some Adrienne's family traditions growing up. When you come into their home, it is filled with the spirit. The piano is played frequently, there is a low muffle of laughter, running and playing heard throughout the house. Adrienne's is not flawless. She tells me that she tries to keep it tidy, but there are other things that are just more important.
We visit with the Hale's about three times a year. Join me on a day by day, play by play of our family adventures together, this weekend.
Day 1
Legos were played with frequently. Seth and Spencer are both 5 and Seth is 7, like Georgia. This was Friday morning and unfortunately, the two oldest Hales, Sammy and Emma were on a school trip touring Stanford. They were both home schooled up to high school and recently got into the well know Gidodi College Prep High school. So, Kalen was bummed not to have Sammy to visit with all day Friday but he at least had his brother Reece to be with and their 9 acres. :)
Old Maid, Go Fish and many other card games were played by all. The children played lots of games including the famous, "Spoons."
Oh yes, the puppies. My friend Adrienne is amazing. A few years ago she started a business breading Bichon puppies. She can do this because she grew up on a few acres herself, breading Lamas, dogs, cats and the like. She loves animals and her kids do too. Summer also loves them and would hold them all day if she could. These puppies were two weeks old.
Along with puppies, she loves babies. Julia is over half Summer's size but she insisted on "carrying" her. As you can see Julie is just a little skeptical. :)
These are some of the older puppies. William wanted to hold them so badly but he couldn't quite get the nerve up to do it.
I mentioned that Adrienne breads dogs. Well, she converted a coat closet into this room which is where she bathes the dogs, grooms them and helps them deliver their babies. The room is something like out of Harry Potter. You open this door that looks like a closet door but instead of jackets you find a staircase going down to this room. It's so great.
Georgia, in particular loves the animals. So, Adrienne brought her down to have her help bathe the puppies.
Day 2
Sam Sr. is playing the guitar. Just a little lazy music for a lazy Saturday morning. We are all just visiting and relaxing before an afternoon adventure.
Both of our families have children that play the piano. Her first 6 kids play and my first 4 play. Kalen is watching the very talented Sammy play a popular song by Imagine Dragons.
Kalen played a lot as well.
Early afternoon, Sam Sr. took us to another property of theirs that recently burned in a fire. It happens to be 60 acres and the fire destroyed a rental unit of theirs on the property. We drove in with two cars but then had to squeeze into the Land Rover because our van wasn't going to handle the terrain.
The burn site.
Off the left you can see what's left of their rental unit.
Sam Sr. wanted to bring the kids here because he said it's super fun for the kids to see a house that has burnt down. And he was correct, the kids were in heaven finding "treasure" and exploring the property.
Later that evening we ate dinner which is always entertaining to see watch 16 kids eat. It's like looking at a cafeteria. Although a lot of them are missing from this picture. :)
That evening the girls wrote out "Mad Libs," painted nails, and did hair.
Day 3
The Sabbath. Hats off to both our families for making it to 9:00am church, six minutes early. All sixteen kids are in the picture. Emma is the oldest in the middle holding her baby sister, Julia who is the youngest of all our kids. Adrienne is due with number 10 early May. She has 6 girls and 3 boys. I have 4 boys and 3 girls.
Emma and Gwyneth playing a "Beauty and the Beast" duet.
Our last adventure. The Hales just purchased another 80 acres in Meadow Vista where they will build their dream home. It has the highest peak in the surrounding area and gives a 365 degree view of Downtown Sacramento, to the Sierras and Lake Tahoe. They wanted to show us the property and where they will be building.
Just up the path below and on the top is the building sight and this amazing view.
Summer and Lydia. Why the sad face? I know not. :)
Pictures like these are best captured for future weddings...you never know? :) Spencer and Summer.
Sam Sr. and his sweet daughter Lydia.
Brace yourself, for there are many of these pictures because they are such cute pictures I couldn't choose one, or two or even three...
Kalen is above me and Sammy is above his mom here. It's two great shots because Kalen is clearly my son and Sammy is clearly Adrienne's son. :):) She always introduces me as her adopted sister. I will take it. I need all of the sisters I can get.
We ended our visit with Sammy playing the sound track to "Wicked" and the girls singing to his playing.
There is nobody like the Hales. I have learned so much from their family. They are amazing and wonderful but they are also humble and giving. They are the type to make those around them feel wonderful too. I always leave feeling uplifted and loved. I could go on about how Adrienne mothers her children and all of her many talents. But, that is for another post and I know that the spirit of family, loyalty, and devotion comes through in these pictures. What I will say is that when a husband and wife like Adrienne and Sam choose to keep the world out of their home and let their children seek creativity, while teaching them also to work and develop talents, it's a recipe for success. We are so blessed to have them as friends, and we've become better parents because of them. What I Love Most Today are friends...(part 2).










They sound like an awesome family! It's no surprise they'd want to have another awesome family like you guys around. So great to have wonderful friends. :)
ReplyDeleteAmazing family!! Are you ready to move up there? It seems it would suit your family well. Oh the puppies, I am very disappointed you did not bring one home for Summer. Or did you? Will tomorrow's post be, "What I love today is our new puppy!"??? :) (just let Summer know Aunt Marie is on her side) xoxxo
ReplyDeleteIt was an awesome weekend, Shauna, as you captured so well!! However, I didn't see any pictures or mention of the hours Kirk spent upgrading our computer capacity with equipment he brought, fixing our router setup (including climbing on our roof), and pulling our pictures off two dead laptops to my very great relief. Also absent are pictures of you cleaning the house and doing the dishes. I'll have to commandeer your camera during your next visit:) You are amazing friends, and we love you!!
ReplyDelete