I not only love it I am grateful for it, the medical insurance that is. Yesterday evening Kirk had the kids, all six of them at this park where there are big bike jumps. Our two older boys have been doing a lot of "BMX" biking. Kirk thought it would be fun to go off one of the jumps. It didn't go very well.
He has a broken collar bone, clear through. It looks misleading like he sprained his wrist or something. Well, they can't cast a broken Collar Bone, so he has to be really careful. Here he is drugged up with Percocet and very sleepy.
Before I could get to the park the fireman said there were about five calls to 911 describing a man laid out on the ground with kids surrounding him and a baby in a stroller that "seemed to belong to him." Hahahaha. Poor Kirk. Well, if I had gotten there sooner I may have been able to just take him to the ER instead of the ambulance, which could have saved some money. I'm thankful we have insurance and good insurance at that.
It's insane how it all adds up. There is the fee for the ambulance, fireman, the gurney, the prescriptions, the hospital bed, the doctors, the blood work the bone doctor that he has to see and on and on and on. It's just a broken collar bone. But, I'm sure just a "broken collar bone" will cost thousands of dollars, dollars we don't have.He has a broken collar bone, clear through. It looks misleading like he sprained his wrist or something. Well, they can't cast a broken Collar Bone, so he has to be really careful. Here he is drugged up with Percocet and very sleepy.
Before I could get to the park the fireman said there were about five calls to 911 describing a man laid out on the ground with kids surrounding him and a baby in a stroller that "seemed to belong to him." Hahahaha. Poor Kirk. Well, if I had gotten there sooner I may have been able to just take him to the ER instead of the ambulance, which could have saved some money. I'm thankful we have insurance and good insurance at that.
On the way home from church to the kids I said, "Well, there is a big blessing for us with daddy hurt and all...he will be home for the next week with us!!!" I love when Kirk is home from work. I have a best friend with me all day long to be with. Kalen then said, "Will he just be sleeping the whole time?" To which I responded, "Naahhhh." To which Kalen then responded, "mom, he should be sleeping as much as he can because his bone will heal faster." Thank you Dr. Klippel....noted.
We don't know what the future holds. But, for us right now Kirk has a sound, steady job. This time we were lucky, blessed, fortunate; there are many words. Because of this What I Love Most Today is our Medical Insurance.

I do love all the pics you've been doing.
ReplyDeleteDid you know the clavicle is the most commonly broken bone in the body? FYI. Poor Kirk, I have never broken a bone and never want to knock on particle board desk. Kalen is too cute. I am dying to know if you ever figured out the link glitch? Actually I am dying to know if for once I actually knew what I was doing on the computer and it's not my fault.
ReplyDeleteI am so grateful for great medical insurance too! We had great coverage through my work when we had Marley. We had horrible coverage at a high cost while Nathan was in grad school and that was not cool. We have also gone without coverage which is really not cool. Nathan is diabetic so when we had no coverage and no job we applied to the pharmaceutical companies that make his insulin to see if we could get it discounted and they gave him a whole year FREE! It was a huge blessing because that is about $500 a month! I wish we had known about applying to the pharmaceutical company while Nate was in grad school because of the lousy coverage and no pharmacy coverage and a big bulk of his student loans went to paying for insulin. I don't know that they would have given it to him for free but they probably would have discounted it at least. Now we have excellent coverage again. The tribe elders (Nathan works for an Indian Tribe) may be changing the insurance company for our coverage and I wish/hope they don't! If the company changes, I hope the premiums stay the same or get lower and the coverage stays the same or is better.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Poor Kirk! As I get older I get more scared to do things because I'm scared I will get hurt. Kirk is brave. I hope he heals fast. Kalen is so smart.
Becky you're so sweet. I hear you especially with Nathan being diabetic. I hope the best for and the insurance especially if changes are coming.
ReplyDeleteI got your blog address from Becky's blog. It was so fun catching up. I haven't gotten anything done this morning. Please give Kirk my sympathies and hope he gets back to normal soon.
ReplyDeleteoh no! poor Kirk. hope he heals quickly. but that is a story to never forget--
ReplyDeleteSorry for Kirk, glad you have good medical insurance. I do not and it is bad. Difficult and expensive to get when you are old and have pre-existing contitions. Thank goodness for good insurance for you.
ReplyDeleteShauna, do you remember that you had a broken collar bone when you were about 7 years old? An experience you now share.
I hope Kirk recovers quickly.
Love you, Mom
Hahahaha. This is absolutely AWESOME! I had a great laugh at this bit: Before I could get to the park the fireman said there were about five calls to 911 describing a man laid out on the ground with kids surrounding him and a baby in a stroller that "seemed to belong to him." Sorry about the shoulder, hopefully it heals quickly. Love ya and miss you guys!
ReplyDelete-TRENT