Friday, November 15, 2013

What I Love Most Today is Real Life.




This is a candid picture.  I was in the laundry room with the camera.  I walked in the kitchen and snapped this shot.  It's lunch time in this picture.  That's the lunch crew on the couch waiting to be fed.  Kalen is at the computer putting on some music to serenade us while we eat.  He loves music.  And for the record my island looks like this a lot.  Messy.  I'm always feeding some kind of person in this house, big or little.  This is my life.  All of this social media is so fun.  I've loved it.  But, it's also a very edited version of my life.  That's just the nature of this kind of media. 

For a while I've felt prompted to take a moment and reflect on some realities in my life.  While my blog is great fun, with reflections of love and happiness, joy and funny situations.  It's also not the whole truth.  How would I put the whole truth on my blog?  I guess I would just write about it, like I'm doing now.  But, it's not me.  I'm not one for lamenting, or airing my dirty laundry.  Call me old fashioned.  But, here I will be honest for the record.  This blog isn't super popular.  It gets about 150 views when I do a new post.  Most of these views are from people I really love.  So before you go thinking that my life is all roses and sunshine, it turns out my life is just like yours. 

I have seven kids.  Seven.  It's an interesting number.  I'll tell you why.  In this picture all seven of my children are present.  Does it really look like that many?  I don't think it does.  But, once I start thinking about each of them individually,  the time and effort that I put into praying for each one of them, for helping each one of them, for giving individual time to each of them and for loving each and every one of them...it's a lot of children.  And with that comes the inevitable woes of a mother. 

Am I doing enough?  Which one feels like a number instead of a kid?  What is going right in our home and what could be improved?  Don't get me wrong, please.  I have a great family and great kids.  But we are all human.  Very human.  Too human, if that's possible.  I'm a great mom, most days.  And I have days where I'd like to throw in the towel because  I feel spent, used and unappreciated.  I don't need to give specifics because I know you can relate.  It's life on this earth, with kids, families, homes, responsibilities and this list goes on and on.  I'm old enough now and have just enough wisdom to understand that we are all truly "in the same boat."  Our situations may be different, but we all have some burden from life's circumstances sitting on our shoulders.

With that said, I love my life.  Absolutely.  I'm a woman of action.  If my family needs redirecting in some area, we work together.  We try.  There is no way that I created this family only to stand by and watch things happen.  I will do whatever it takes to leave my hand print in their lives.  This is it.  This is my mission, these kids, my husband, my home.   It's messy.  Metaphorically speaking and literally, as you can see above.  It's the hardest thing I've endeavored to do; raise a family.  It's scary at times.  It's a huge calling.  But I'm embracing it through thick and thin, better or worse and trust me there are both.  I will always work hard for my family. 

I'm ever grateful for the gospel in my life.  I know the reality of receiving inspiration for individual children to know how to help them.  I know what it is to be inspired to do specific things for my family.  It is the atonement that carries me and it is also through the atonement that I find so much happiness and joy.  And I do, truly. 

So next time you view one of my blog posts about fairy tales or triumphs please know that to get to those triumphs there has been trial and error.  There have been some hard moments.  I am honestly not one to go on about the negativity's of life.  Like I said, it's not me.  Instead, I like to take those hard times and moments to learn and grow.  With great times will always come some hard times.  It's just life. And that's the way it was meant to be. 

What I Love Most Today is Real Life. 
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. It is funny, my husband and I were talking about this last night (number of children). He is worried about bringing another child in the home (though he has prayed about it) because one of our children is falling through the cracks with his school work. Addy and Roman take so much of my time that if he (the child in question) is not being honest I am not sure how I can help him. I ask him if he has homework and he tells me flat out no, but then I get these notifications saying that he got a failing grade. This is something new for this child who is now in middle school and should be managing his work on his own. Anyway, still not sure what to do, but I don't think the number of children would matter even if he was the only child if he isn't being honest. Being a mother is wonder, but it sure is a lot of work. I would choose this gig over and over any day.
    I think you are doing a wonderful job! Hugs from Georgia, Kelleyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my favorite post so far!!! you are so much more articulate than I am. everything you said was beautiful. I wish, often, that we lived closer so I could be a part of your life and your children's lives and vice versa. love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real life is the best life. I find myself taking lots of just real life shots lately and I'm going to love looking back at the sweet moments that mean the most!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so beautiful. I suspected you were human, but it's nice to be reassured that life isn't perfect, even for people with way more energy and motivation than me. :)
    My counter looks like pretty much all the time and I have two kids! Part of me feels like if I can't "get it together" and be the kind of mom I want to be with two kids, how could I possibly have any more? Then another part of me remembers I've only been a mom for 2.5 years and I'm still learning a ton. I think about how much I've grown just in the last year or two and I hope I continue to grow and improve, for my kids' sake more than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing post. You truly are remarkable in that you are an amazing mother to 7 kids(!), a great wife, a great writer / blogger, a great commenter, and you don't get mad at your kids when they make a mess. :)

    In so many ways I want to be more like you. And today I will move past the negativity and start learning.

    Hope you had a great weekend Shauna. Love this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to this on so many levels! I loved it. I always write about the happy because I'm not one to air my dirty laundry either. But that doesn't mean I don't have a lot of issues. I write about them on my blog if I think there's something to be learned from it. But I won't write just to complain. I love your real life post. It was still positive and that's a great way to live.

    ReplyDelete