Wednesday, November 06, 2013

What I Love Most Today is Boy Scouts of America.

Look at these two boys.  They're both thirteen now and they've been friends since they were three.  After all of these years they're still the best of friends and they are in Boys Scouts together.  I love Boy Scouts.  It's no joke though.  These two boys are trying to earn their Eagle Awards and it's hard work.  Kalen earned five merit badges tonight.  He's been working on some of them for over six months. 
 
These merit badges often require all levels of commitment, for instance, attending city hall meetings, writing essays, attending service projects, doing research and the like.  This of course, is on top of any school work.  Luckily Kalen is highly motivated and has been doing most of this on his own.
 
Tonight at the Court of Honor these three generations of Klippel "men" were awarded the Veteran Award on behalf of Kirk's dad, who served in the Army.  Kirk's dad ranks as a Major in the military.  He served in the Korean War, and the Vietnam War twice.  He was a pilot and flew the Hewy Helicopters. 
 
Jeff Stepan and Reece Klippel are Cub Scouts on their way to being excellent boy scouts.  These two are also the best of friends and have know each other since they were babes in arms.  :)
 
What I really love and appreciate about Scouts are the leaders who take their precious time away from their own families to be with our sons.  They take the time to plan quality activities that are wholesome and beneficial for the boys, so that they will develop the skills they need to be the best people they can be.  I'm truly thankful for them.  Below is Mike VanTuyl, their Scout Leader.  He's the best and the boys love him.
 
They always have treats at the end of a Court of Honor.
 
I mentioned above that Kalen takes the initiative and heads up all of the merit badges he is earning.  It's wonderful to see, he's a great example to all of us.  But, about a month ago he did come to me and asked me to help him get organized. 
 
There is a lot of paperwork involved with earning merit badges and such.  So we stayed up one night and came up with this nifty poster to help him see the big picture.
 
And just for old times sake and in the spirit of Boy Scouting, a picture of all four of these sweet boys camping together, when they were so itty, bitty!!  I believe Boy Scouts has helped Kalen to become in part, who he is because he has loved Scouts and has stuck with it....What I Love Today is Boy Scouts of America.
 
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Yes, you gotta love Boy Scouts! How fantastic to be awarded for Kirk's dad! Congratulations! One step closer to Eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I love the Boy Scouts! Great post! There is nothing better in society that builds character and helps young boys and young men learn to be men. Lots of hard work and devotion and follow through. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, now that picture at the end therr, those are the boys I remember. I cant believe how much all 4 of those handsome boys have grown up! Absolutely crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Scouter's wife. 40 years now. I hope you were able to watch with your boys the Celebration of 100 years of Scouting in the LDS church. Bruce and I went to the Conference Center to enjoy Boy Scouts belaying from the ceiling, boys kayaking in the air, Eagle choir, Cub Scout Choir. It was amazing, and then highlight was the announcement of the naming of a training center after President Monson at the Summit in Virginia. Yes, I love Scouting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From that last picture it is apparent that Will will look exactly like Reece! I was hesitant about Scouts, and there's still a lot to know, but I love it, and Ethan LOVES it!!!! It is so great to watch Kalen grow and see all that he accomplishes, such a true testament to what fantastic parents you and Kirk are. Ethan is in his first year so I can't imagine all that Kalen has to do. Luckily he is first as he is such a great example to all the young'ins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT time to be a kid!! It makes me want to climb a tree or something...the tent one at the end made me smile:) TOTAL Boy, I love it!

    ReplyDelete