Thursday, November 21, 2013

What I Love Most Today is the Rosicrucian Museum of Egypt!

Georgia is in first grade this year and I decided to start her on "Story of the World," by Susan Weiss Bauer.  It's an excellent history curriculum that tells history as a story from the beginning of Ancient times to the modern.  Just how I think history should be learned. 

We form a "loose" co-op with our good friends, the Macdonalds, who also home school.  Today we took the two little girls Georgia and Isabel to our local Egyptian Museum in downtown San Jose.  This museum is a real gem.  It has so many interesting artifacts including an actual part of the Rosetta Stone, mummies and a re-produced tomb, which the kids love. 
 
I've got enough kids to make it look like a real live field trip so between Rachel's three kids and my seven this field trip is legit. 
 
Keeping Egypt real in sunny California...


When we walked into the museum the nice lady told us that our children had to stay right with us and that the children should all walk around like Ninjas...quietly.

Here is the one moment that Summer was quiet, still and close to me...somewhat.   :)
 
 
Oh yeah, she's reading that, you better believe it.   :)
 
Last time we were at this museum they had this part under construction.  It's a little sitting room/library with books all about Egypt to interest even the youngest to oldest of readers. 
 
 
 
The Tomb...
 
 
 
A real mummy...
 
 
 
 
By the time we came out of this place my daughter, Gwyneth, had about thirty pages of notes and drawings. 
 
Shane wanted to be an intellectual just like his sister.  :)
 
It was time to leave, so we let the kids run loose away from us, like crazies...unlike Ninjas.  Ha!
 
 
We all had a great time.  Egyptian history is fascinating and I love to learn it with my children, over and over again.  What I Love Most Today is the Rosicrucian Museum of Egypt!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. What a fun fieldtrip! Great idea. At first I thought you just took the two girls and wondered how that worked out but then you mentioned it was a full-on fieldtrip with everyone and then I thought, yea, that's more like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going here when I was young. I wonder if that is what sparked my interest in going to Egypt. I had always told Peter while he was growing up that he was going on his mission to Egypt so I could go get him and tour at the same time. But, alas, he went to Japan. That was neat too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that woman doesn't seem many children come through!

    ReplyDelete