Monday, November 14, 2011

What I Love Most Today is Lunch!!!!

This may be a little bit of an exaggeration because as some of you know I actually hate lunch.  Okay, hate is a strong word and I need to explain.

For me, I love lunch.  I know just what I will have.  Remember, either salad, leftovers or yams or a couple of these together.  But, making lunch for my kids annoys me.  I think mostly because I never know quite what to fix.  I'm not a big sandwich person so of course my children don't seem to be either, although they will eat them no problem.  It's just not the first thing they would choose, necessarily.

And since most days of the week I make a homemade breakfast and dinner I really don't want to have lunch be too involved.  So, most of the time I throw crackers, salami (this is a big treat because it's usually just crackers w/ cheese), and an array of fresh veggies and some fruit.


Here we have crackers, salami, tomatoes, cheese, cucumbers, and sweet bells.  I have convinced the children that these bell peppers are sweet bells.  For the longest time they would not eat bell peppers which I happen to love.  Finally, I said "I want all of you here right now to line up and you are each taking a bite of these, they are so good!" With sweet bells in the hands of each of them, I then said, "you know what we are not even going to refer to these as bell peppers anymore because they are not peppery or spicy, "so eat away right now."

And you can guess what I heard next.  "Mom, these are actually sweet and so crunchy, why do they call them bell peppers if they don't taste spicy?"

I can't stand leaving out food (in our salads, for instance) that I like because my kids don't "like it."

I also served them Honeydew Melon.  Refreshing, sweet and syrupy.

Next, is my lunch.  I could eat yams for breakfast lunch and dinner, I love them forever....and the possibilities are endless with these darling yams.

Here is my meal all put together.  Leftovers from our favorite restaurant Aqui's.  These are pork enchiladas with plantains, black beans, rice, roasted brussel sprouts and some yams added by me.  Divine.

For baby girl, she gets some yams too with applesauce.



Later in the afternoon Reece made this for a snack to get ready for the presentation below.  Kids crack me up.

He is giving Gwyneth a quick Algebra lesson on solving for the unkown.   Snacks were crucial for this presentation, you know very exciting and all....So What I Love Most Today is Lunch!

PS. My other blog design wasn't working out.  I loved the way it looked but not the way it functioned.  Hope you like this.

PSS. Okay I changed my design again.  Kirk did this.  When I look at it, it calms me so that's good.  I think I need to change the lettering (font of my blog) of the title I mean.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. I hate lunch too. Ok, not really hate. But, I never know what to have. Especially when I'm pregnant and nothing sounds good. Though, that stage seems to be heading out...thank goodness.

    I love mexican restaurant leftovers! And Nathan makes a totally delicious Jambalaya and I love that for leftovers too!

    Do you eat your yams plain? I really like them with butter and cinnamon & sugar but I guess that's not as healthy as plain. I've really never had them any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the way I like to eat. My husband would love this lunch. It is like grazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy! It's so nice to have words from you on my blog. I miss you and thank you for "back" commenting. I loved being close to you too. You were a great comfort to me "back then." Miss you-Shauna xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, next time you try yams, bake them and put either (or both) Parmesan/sharp cheddar cheese and toasted pecans on top and don't be skimpy with the nuts. You will love this it's so good. And if you want any actual yam recipes that are more involved let me know because I'm sure you can guess I have tons! And they are tried and true so what could be better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what my new favorite way to eat yams is? Topped with coconut butter and a fried egg. The sweet yam with cc butter and the savory egg yolk dripping all over, so yum.

    Awesome pics. I am going to have Kirk give me some lessons. I am such a nerd I don't really even know what my camera is capable of. It kind of scares me all the switches so I just ignore them. Double nerd.

    I like this layout even more than the other new one. Good job widening it. I (obviously) just did that and it looks so much better.

    I just realized that it must be hard for you not to have a lunch break like most of us whose kids eat lunch at school.

    Are your kids not on the nachos/grilled cheese/ pb and apples/bananas kick like mine. Haha, they live off those things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I am trying that tomorrow, that yams that is. And-Yes! You need to get a quick lesson because Kirk has shown me just a few things that makes a huge difference, but also lighting is the key.

    Yes, my kids love nachos and quesadillas that is definitely a lunch special around here too.

    xoxoxoxo Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:53 PM

    Shauna, you should have trained your children from the beginning to eat sandwiches. Your life might have been much simpler. But you always come up with something satisfying and nutritious. That is what counts. Actually the veggies, cheese, salami and crackers looks divine to me. But then I have just done two protein days in a tow. Cardboard with peanut butter would look good to me!!!

    Marie, WHERE DO YOU GET COCONUT BUTTER?!!!!!!! Sounds very fattening, but sooooooooo yummy!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom, she gets the coconut butter at Whole Foods. It's really good, she puts it into her oatmeal in the morning and other things but it's really good in the oatmeal too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom,I realized Marie doesn't have a Whole Foods so she must get it somewhere else, but I she purchased it at Whole Foods once when she was visiting here. I know you can get it there. :)

    ReplyDelete