Thursday, May 30, 2013

Grandpa's Beach House

 Over Memorial Day weekend we spent Saturday at my dad's along with his girlfriend Cynthia, my grandparents and my family.  We love going to my dad's because it's like a mini getaway.  He lives in Aptos, neighboring Santa Cruz, on Rio Del Mar Beach.  At the end of his street is the beautiful beach. 
 
My Grandpa Pat and me.  She's a doll of a woman.  Love her very much.


My grandma above gave Georgia a late birthday gift which Shane is playing with and Georgia is wearing a shawl that my dad's girlfriend Cynthia brought her form an antique fair.  She always brings the girls "trinkets" from her antiquing extravaganzas.  Cynthia makes art and sells at local boutiques in Santa Cruz and Los Gatos.
 
My dad has a green thumb, can you tell?  Why I did not inherit this  and his genius for math I'll never know.  :)
 
He bought this beach house and tor it down to the studs, rebuilt it back up into a modern beach home. 
 
The inside has no molding anywhere, a modern feature for sure and his kitchen is so great. He hand make these cabinets himself. 
 
We had the most perfect weather for the beach!  I could not believe how beautiful it was.  I thought it would be cold. 
 
 
All of the big kids wore their bathing suits because they'll go in the ocean rain or shine, but I wasn't as prepared for baby girl because last time we came to the beach she hated it.  Now, she loves it, apparently.  And she stripped right down as soon as she saw her brothers and sisters in their beach attire. 
 
chillin'


We ended the day back at my dad's where he made us a big Spaghetti dinner, which was great. 
 
I love having a mini getaway at my dad's.  It's so relaxing and wonderful to spend hours, carefree and happy with the ones we love....at Grandpa's beach house.
 
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

  1. What a great day! There is nothing better than being with your family, and then throw in food and the beach and...... well, what else is there?

    You are stunning in the pic with your Grandma, I love how happy you always are, so Shauna.

    Okay you obviously didn't inherit your dad's design esthetic either, the whole modern vibe doesn't seem to be you, I think of shabby chic when I think of you and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rio Del Mar is the beach my family always went to when I was growing up. Probably because the parking was free. Sand dabs, sea shells, cement boat close enough to walk to. River running out to the sea. Love, Love, Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun place to go! Such a blessing that your dad has a beach house for you kids to visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a perfect way to spend the weekend! Does it get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh Shauna how fantastic. Grandparents are exactly that - GRAND and it always amazes me how much love they have to share. The beach-house is just lovely, I'd love to own a home by the beach (especially somewhere warm ha ha) Looks like a great day spent with your lovely family.
    Much love and have a happy weekend,
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, do you have a spare room? I might just show up!
    Looks sooo good and relaxing!
    Thanks for the follow back on Insta!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great trip! And so impressed with your dad's home improvements and gardening skills. I don't think I appreciated how hard all that is until we started trying to fix up our own home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your dad looks exactly the same. I remember when he bought that house and you were telling me all about the plans and projects. it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great time to share together! Family is so important and whats even better when you can create memories while doing so. Your Grandma is such a beautiful lady and wow you are just so stunning yourself!
    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That snap of Georgia in the shawl is just killing me, lady! What a darling look. I'm so glad that y'all had such a wonderful time at the beach house - my best childhood memories are from when I was a pup and we were at the water, either with my family at the cabin (and the whole extended clan) or with family friends at the beach.

    Hope you're having a wonderful week, darling.

    p.s. SO glad you've added another fish to the group!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful place! It is so special to have grandparents with amazing places to visit. And of course your littlest wants to be a fish too! So glad yall had a wonderful weekend away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday dear, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect weekend away spent with loved ones!! I am craving a trip to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, what a beautiful family and a beautiful get together! Looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like such a magical place. I really love the beaches in Northern California, they are so darn beautiful. I love all the beautiful rocks and different shapes they make. Your dad did such a great job remodeling!
    You look so beautiful in that photo with you grandma. You are gorgeous!!!
    Is it your birthday???

    ReplyDelete
  16. The picture of you and your grandmother is GORGEOUS!!! So glad you had a nice getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AWW I am glad I found out, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAUTIFUL! I hope you have a wonderful day of celebrations. Wish I could bake you a cake! Have a great two days by yourself :)

    ReplyDelete