As in our day together on the farm. Best friends, sisters, sister in laws, cousins, friends...family. That's what we are is family. Some of us may not technically be related but that doesn't matter.
On July 17th my best best friend Marie Wallwork (below on right) came to town with her three kids. We've been anticipating this trip for months. From morning until night we were a go, go, go. The night she got here we went to a party. From there it's somewhat a blur with visions of a visit to the beach and the Exploritorium in the city of San Francisco. I can't put all of our trip in order-it was non-stop...but the most fun ever!
During one of the days she was here we went to see Marie's sister Margo. Margo and Al live on a small ranch/farm in Oakley California, off the 580. My kids said it was their favorite day spent with the Wallworks.
And...I actually brought the nice camera and took picture after picture. I have been editing these pictures ever since they left. Finally- our story about Farm Life.

On July 17th my best best friend Marie Wallwork (below on right) came to town with her three kids. We've been anticipating this trip for months. From morning until night we were a go, go, go. The night she got here we went to a party. From there it's somewhat a blur with visions of a visit to the beach and the Exploritorium in the city of San Francisco. I can't put all of our trip in order-it was non-stop...but the most fun ever!
During one of the days she was here we went to see Marie's sister Margo. Margo and Al live on a small ranch/farm in Oakley California, off the 580. My kids said it was their favorite day spent with the Wallworks.
And...I actually brought the nice camera and took picture after picture. I have been editing these pictures ever since they left. Finally- our story about Farm Life.
Once upon a time there were two girls who met at church. The one on the right needed some help one evening and was brave enough to come calling for help. The girl on the left felt an instant love for the girl on the right and said, "I'll do anything to help you." And so was the start of their friendship, bond, love, sisterhood, best friends forever.
We had our first babies around the same time, they are only a couple of months apart. We had our second babies a couple of weeks apart and off she moved to Temecula, CA. I'll never forget when she moved, it was a loss for me.
But, as true friends would, we kept our long distance relationship alive! We talked on the phone, sent monthly letters with tried and true recipes nestled inside. We visited one another on occasion but never texted or talked to each other on a cell phone because neither of us had one until...about a year ago. We have much in common. :)
And then something miraculous happened. We both got email accounts. This was about three years ago. And we started keeping in touch over email! It was amazing!!! And then...we started blogging!!!! Even more amazing! Miracles do happen for Shauna and Marie....
So through years of distant love and bonding...fast forward to July 24th and we've got some great memories on her sisters' farm.
Marie is a woman companion to me. When we are together our hearts are in sync. She may have come into town thinking there would be more down time, that there would be more time to talk and visit, and relax. Regardless, we had a blast, we got to live together for nine days, watch each other handle children and life. She helped me in my home, she got a peek into what life is like at the Klippel home. We were all sad to see them leave and my kids are still waking up saying, "it's so lonely without the Wallworks." And I respond by saying, "how can it ever be lonely here, there are seven of you...for Pete's Sake." :)
Marie and I have something special, and I am so thankful to have her in my life. We have a connection but it didn't come without effort, and work. We've put in the time and we have something so amazing...just like Farm Life. :)
Speaking of farm life, taking pictures at this place was so fun. Everywhere your eye looks is a great picture. Old fences, slated trucks, little boys, little girls, chickens, barns, horse stalls, dirt roads, I could not put my camera down.
Two of these boys are cousins and one is a friend. But they are going to grow up together and be there for one another. I love it.
Lila Glenn Wallwork...and her epic photoshoot. What's epic is that headband that was being passed around. It was homemade and they wear it so well. It really makes the pictures. :)
Just for the record this is my youngest daughter, Summer. With a name like that you would think her to be happy all the time, like a ray of sunshine. But, alas, no she is most often looking like this. And because I'm her mother I think it's so cute. Others probably find her a little crazy, sour, difficult-granted she may be these things :), but she's so dear to my heart.
This pour chicken was poked, prodded, handled and man handled some more. It didn't stand a chance. I was sure one of my kids smuggled into my car as we were leaving...along with some other animals...






What beautiful pictures! It was so fun to meet Marie--do fun to have someone so special, especially when your kids can be close friends, too. :)
ReplyDeleteawesome clicks Shauna. Thanks for dropping by. Its so good to see your name on my page always.
ReplyDeleteI never had a friend who was willing to keep it alive long distance.
You both are lucky and may you always be happy.
xo
z
What a fun time at the farm!!! I really want to live on a little farm so badly! :-)
ReplyDeleteOh you're too sweet. & I think by 'editing' you mean making me look way better than I really do:) Yes, what a crazy/non-stop time, but it was all great fun!!! Oh the sweetest pictures. You are on fire girl. When I had little ones at the Ranch I was chasing after them non-stop, afraid they would get kicked by a horse or step on a rusted nail, to take all these amazing pics my hat's off to you.
ReplyDeleteI'll give you the breakdown so I can live vicariously through your blog (since I've dropped off the bogging planet. Company just left today and I am off to Utah tomorrow!) Fri the park with Jen, Sat swim meet, Sun church and bday party, Mon Boardwalk, Tue SF, Wed Margo, Th Raging Waters, Fri pool-Aquis-yogurt, Sat you awoke to a an empty room because I took off like a thief in the night. 4 feet in my face all night and I was a grump blazing a path to my bed 6 hours away :)
Great love story. To be continued for many more years to come.................
Shauna! It has been one of those months, hasn't it? re: Michael Pollan - I absolutely agree with you and I think what he shares with us in his books is Such Important Information. He really is a gifted writer. He came to speak at our synagogue this spring and I went to go listen to his lecture and it was fascinating. He sounds just like he writes.
ReplyDeleteThis post gave me such a summertime kick - I used to take riding lessons and my brother and I would go to a farm camp in the summer - I think our parents were similarly thankful that they didn't open the van door to discover the entire rabbit hutch or a bleating baby goat or something similar of the like. What an excellent adventure with such excellent friends! Happy August and enjoy the rest of these beautiful summer days, darling!
XOXO
Kat
great pictures!!! how fun Marie could come visit. you guys were busy.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAren't good friends the best? Love how technology has made staying connected much easier. You two honestly look like you could be sisters. You both have such beautiful striking eyes! Have definitely missed your updates but glad to hear that you were having such a wonderful time with friends. The farm looks like such a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures! I am so impressed with your energy. I swear I'm already running out and I only have 1.8 kid(s). Here's hoping it's just a pregnancy thing--I would love to always be doing such fun things with my kids. You are amazing!
ReplyDeleteOops! This comment was for your new beach post. :)
Delete