At the beginning of summer time we sat with our children during a Family Home Evening and gave them each the opportunity to give one idea as to what they would like to do during break. Our oldest son Kalen has wanted to drive a significant part of the PCH. Also known as the Pacific Coast Highway or Hwy 1. This is the world famous coastal highway found in Northern California that stretches for most of the state of California.
The first section of Hwy 1 opened in the Big Sur region in the 1930's. My dad and I drove this hwy many times growing up. Consequently Big Sur became my favorite place of all time to camp. And we camped everywhere.
Below at our first stop, was a local family farm that had their produce out. Most of these farms use the honor system as you take what you want and leave your money in a box. We purchased 100 oranges for $20.00.
The first section of Hwy 1 opened in the Big Sur region in the 1930's. My dad and I drove this hwy many times growing up. Consequently Big Sur became my favorite place of all time to camp. And we camped everywhere.
Below at our first stop, was a local family farm that had their produce out. Most of these farms use the honor system as you take what you want and leave your money in a box. We purchased 100 oranges for $20.00.
The start of this trip was to the Budrow's house for the fourth of July. From their house we woke up early the morning after the fourth and started our route from Atascadero on north to our neck of the woods. I thought it was appropriate to drive this highway after the fourth since Wikipedia calls this California State highway "The All American Road." And it absolutely is.
Our second stop was at the quaint town of Cambria. It's a typical little beach town tucked away off the coast that offers gourmet food, antiquing and other special shops that can't be resisted.
Of course the children got to pick a treat each. The lollipop that was as big as Shane's head was the hit of the day.
I told the kids to climb into the most famous flower for eating...the nasturtium. You can pop these flowers right into your salads.
Leaving Cambria and back on the road. We took two cars as we can't fit into one anymore. I love taking two cars. It's quieter when the kids are halved. :)
Our next stop was San Simeon, where the famous Hearst Castle lives. This is San Simeon beach directly across the highway from the ranch that Hearst Castle is settled on. The ranch owns this piece of the beach and this is their famous pier. Before coming here we drove up to the castle and toured the visitor center.
We hung out on the beach for about an hour and a half. The kids boogie boarded, frolicked in the water, played in the sand and hit a few baseballs.
Next stop was the famous Elephant Seal Beach. It was awesome!!!! I remember coming here with my dad, but I was pretty little.
Those slugs out there are not rocks, or logs but Elephant Seals!!! They are huge! And they make the funniest noises, the kids were cracking up!!! They are so cute!
This coast brings back so many happy memories. When I was younger my dad and I started this drive in Los Angeles and drove it all the way up past the city of San Francisco. We camped along the way and it took about four days.



Your children are so beautiful!!! I love those elephant seals!!
ReplyDeleteThank you! The seals are amazing. You'll have to go with your man. :)
DeleteSeems like a great time spent with everyone. I loveee those lollipops. I urgently need one. Right now. LOL
ReplyDeleteThis looks so wonderful. This has been a dream of mine as well. California has so many wonderful things to offer. I totally love the green teeth. I always had stained month/clothes/face growing up :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like such a fun trip--I love all the pictures. This is actually the trip Bryan and I took for our honeymoon (he now admits it was his attempt to get me to love California. Mission accomplished). I remember the elephant seals, so fun. By the way, in nursery yesterday Summer made a little family with balls of play dough and told us they were mommy, daddy, baby...I told her she would need a lot more play dough to make her whole family so we were naming off all her siblings. When we got to Georgia, Summer's face lit up and she got a huge smile, "Georgia!!" :)
ReplyDeleteJealous! I am in the process of trying to convince my husband we need to go to California for the summer if not at least for a couple of weeks. Drive along the highway, eat Mexican, go to Santa Cruz, visit you, and San Francisco along with a few day in Yosemite! I want my children to see where I spent 1/4 of my life! Every time I see a commercial for California, I feel homesick. The funny thing is we left California a couple months before I turned 11, so it hasn't been my home in a long time. So glad you are able to enjoy that beautiful state with your family.
ReplyDeleteWow! That looks like so much fun! I'm so glad you got to enjoy that as a family! :-)
ReplyDeleteRoad trips are the best and these photos are priceless.
ReplyDeleteyour pictures are beautiful! I can't believe we lived there for so long and never drove along highway 1.
ReplyDeleteYou have such an adorable family! You are an amazing woman.
ReplyDeleteShauna, I adored this post when I read it on Monday and it has just stuck with me all week. What a glorious family adventure - I know that we are all blessed to be surrounded by beautiful scenery on this Earth but my goodness! I just can't imagine being able to drive right over to Highway 1. Someday it will become a reality.
ReplyDeleteXOXOXO
Kat
These pictures are beautiful! Non stop fun over here!
ReplyDeleteWow, looks incredible! Wish I had all that within driving distance from me, especially all the lovely farms! Looks like you all had an amazing time :) x
ReplyDeleteBREATHTAKING! I love how this is a past memorie of your you can share with you children... What a special time.. They will never forget going to the shore with there family!!! Love your perfect days pictures!:-) you are such a radiant mother!
ReplyDeleteomgoodness, this is AMAZING! what an amazing trip. you all look SO happy. i'd be really happy with that big lollipop too! love the way your family makes memories. :) i can't wait to take a family trip up pch too!! <3
ReplyDeleteJust wanted you to know I have been thinking about you.
ReplyDeleteBe well.
This is now on my bucket list! YOU have a way of doing that to me:) I am loving this idea and how you let your kids pick some ideas... wow way to make them feel important and included in the family decisions! They are just darling.. each and every one of them! I love the beach and all the smiles! They just love spending time together I can tell- adorable!
ReplyDeleteWell my husband just wrote this idea on our bucket list:) Loving your pictures (that first one is darling)!!
Keep counting those blessings!
I´d love that lollipop myself! :-) Lovely pics all around.
ReplyDeleteOhh Shauna what a precious day with favorite people. So beautiful the coastline, the kids and the sunshine. Hope you are well sweetest, missed ya, glad to be back :-)
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Axx