June is our birthday month. This post is a little late. My birthday is June 5th and William's birthday is June 8th. But, his birthday was supposed to be September 14th. Yes, he was born three months too early.
It's becoming more like a dream now. Something that I don't think about all the time because him being the seemingly normal baby that he is now, rarely gives me cause to think about it.
But, he really did start out as what science defines a "Micro-Preemie." He was 2lb 3oz. And although I rarely think about it, I remember it vividly and I will never forget the details of our trying experience with Will...that turned out to be a miracle.

It's a long story. You can read it HERE. But, for this post I feel moved to share some things for the sake of remembrance. I'll never forget how terrified I was when my delivering doctor said, "I'm sorry Shauna, you're going to have your baby now." She checked me and I was at a seven. There was no turning back. With Kirk off to the side, I turned to him in tears and told him how sorry I was, and I was gone from my room, bed and all to begin a very trying time.

You wouldn't know it now by looking at him. With his chubby round cheeks and his indented knuckles. But, when I went to deliver him I remember pushing so hard, I just wanted it over with. I was so terrified to look down at William once he came out. I just didn't know what to expect.

I made myself look down once he came out. He was born in his water sac and breech. I saw the back of his neck curled with his head and he had a little roll of fat. Tiny as it was, it was a little roll. That was my saving grace. That little roll helped me to take a deep breath with some relief.


Turns out William was barely living. He needed the most advanced resuscitation there is and his App Gar Score was 0. Lifeless. He may have had a slight heartbeat, but that was it.


And, so started the trial of three months in the NICU watching this precious specimen of a human being get taken care of by a combination of science, technology and real people. I've never been through anything like it. That much time in a hospital, the ups and downs of possible heart surgeries, complications, mistakes and on and on.
We brought him home four days before his actual due date of September 14th. And it's been pretty smooth sailing since. Today he is not being measured by a premature scale anymore. He is measured by a normal growth chart. He is twenty pounds and he's in the thirtieth percentile for his weight, and about the same for his head and length.

He's super happy and playful. He's clapping in the picture below. He crawls everywhere, he stands up with anything that will allow him. He's becoming more and more independent for sure.
He's super happy and playful. He's clapping in the picture below. He crawls everywhere, he stands up with anything that will allow him. He's becoming more and more independent for sure.
He's a pretty good eater. He loves oatmeal. Real oatmeal with coconut butter and berries. His favorite snack are a brand of whole wheat pretzels that I buy. He is really such a lovely boy and he has inherited many nick names as most of the children have. To name a few:
Bo-licious
Bo-lover
Will-bo
Willum
Will :)
Bo-licious
Bo-lover
Will-bo
Willum
Will :)
So, to the big one year old birthday boy I would say that "faith precedes the miracle." This can apply to so many circumstances in our lives and it has applied beautifully here. Although his beginning was rough terrain, slippery, heartbreaking and exhausting, I never asked, "why is this happening to me, us, him? For me, there is no point to this. We have trials because this life is about refinement.
How grateful I am to have been a part of this experience, a part of this miracle. To watch the blessings unfold. To say I've learned so much is trivial. Last summer of 2012, in the short time that is was, defines much of who I am right now at this moment. My family has been blessed to have worked together and come together through these trying circumstances. The Savior is real and what's more his atonement is our saving grace. The relief that comes from the atonement is like no other. I know this. The atonement will pick you up and carry you to where you need to be. I know this. I've been there.
I love you William. We all love you. I just stare at you with amazement to think about how you started this life. It's unbelievable. You hold a special place in all of our hearts. As you always will. Happy 1st birthday.
I love you William. We all love you. I just stare at you with amazement to think about how you started this life. It's unbelievable. You hold a special place in all of our hearts. As you always will. Happy 1st birthday.
As this post was mostly for and about William I would like to just say thank you to all of you who made my birthday so special. I had visitors all day long dropping by. Thira and Kirk had a party for me. My dearest dedicated a post HERE for me. And I even received cards from my blog friends. This means so much especially because last year I was in the hospital on my birthday and it was just a hard time all around. So thank you, I have been so touched by all of your love for me. I love all of you so much,
Shauna xo
Shauna xo


I wasn't reading your blog yet when William is born so the other night was my first time hearing about the experience. I had no idea he wasn't breathing or anything when he was born because I've only ever seen him as the gorgeous, happy, chubby baby that he is. What a miracle. And gonna lie--something I desperately hope I don't have to endure because I'm not as strong as you are!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had a great birthday!
These pictures are so adorable :-) And I think it's great that you guys have birthdays that are so close together. Happy belated birthday to both of you!
ReplyDeleteI think I have all ready told you Happy Birthday, but if not Happy Birthday! May this year be filled with much joy and happiness! It sure has been the year for you and little (not so little) Peanut! Will is so adorable! Do you know he weighs as much as Addy does and she is 2! Holy cow and he is technically only 9 months. Geez what do you feed that boy! He is a miracle and when you go through things like this if makes you really appreciate what is important and not take anything for granted. I cried when you wrote that you told your husband sorry. YOu didn't do anything to cause him being born early. Just like I didn't cause Addy to be born early or for Roman and Addy to have heart conditions. It just happens! Though, I know as moms we wonder if we could have done something to make things turn out different. I am so glad you stopped by my blog over a year and 1/2 ago because it has been so fun getting to know you! Love, Kelleyn
ReplyDeleteWow, your little boy is truly a miracle baby. What a blessing!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to both of you! I remember Will's birth well and how hard and often we were praying for you all. So glad for the miraculous outcome!
ReplyDeletehappy birthday to both of you!!
ReplyDeleteOh my. What a wonderful heart melting story! You have been through the ringer with him. Thank-you for sharing this story with us. It completely helps put life in perspective. What a darling, darling boy!! Happy belated Birthday to you both and BE BLESSED!
ReplyDeletePs. love the small changes around here- so pretty!
Wow, William really is a miracle baby! This story nearly brought me to tears. Happy birthday to both of you.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated Birthday to the both of you!! These pictures are precious! And even more so... The story! I teared up while reading this... What a miracle! Your family is truly blessed.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday to you and William. I had no clue that he was born three months before. Reading your post(about why) now.
ReplyDeleteIam glad things turned out perfect:)
Happy belated birthday to you both!! I just got caught up with your posts! I love how you were really honest with your feelings on his birth. I remember your post on his birth story but completely took it for granted and kind of "forgot" all of the odds against him at first. Wow, you would never know it now! He's truly a miracle. Much love to y'all!!
ReplyDeleteShauna! Just got caught up on your blog. I love it! Always so positive and full of love.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments on my neglected blog. I am excited to see you in Tenor this summer!!!
Loops! That should be Tahoe.
ReplyDelete"We have trials because this life is about refinement."
ReplyDeleteAmen.
Darling. I cannot believe that it has been over a year since your sweet darling boy was born. I don't even know what to say beyond the fact that God is Good. Sometimes it is hard to understand what Good means when we are there, but there He is.
The photos are just beautiful and perfect.
Happy (belated) birthday. I am so glad that you had a wonderful celebration with your friends - there is nothing more relaxing or more refreshing.
Sending you LOTS of Love from MN!
p.s. I will be out of town and away from my internet through 7/14 - I cannot wait to catch-up on your live when I get home! XOXO
Dearest Shauna, congratulations to the both of you - he turned out just the way you needed him to be :)
ReplyDeleteMuch love from me <3
Axx
Wow Shauna! He was soo tiny. It's amazing how adorable and big he is now. I can't believe he was in the hospital for so long. I can't even imagine how stressful that was, especially when you had six other babies at home. I am glad everything worked out. Happy 1st birthday to him! How was the birthday present from your husband- the two days to yourself?
ReplyDeleteHe's so beautiful Shauna- as all your kids are. I've been wondering how he was developing and hoping for the best when I just checked your blog and there is a post about him! Perfect :)! Thanks for the update. I love miracles.
ReplyDeletehappy happy happy belated birthday to you and your sweet little will, shauna!!!!! this is such a precious story, and praise the Lord for how He worked to sustain your son. this made me teary; what a joy to witness such a miracle! you are so courageous!
ReplyDelete