Sunday, June 16, 2013

#1 Dad

When Kirk and I were engaged we might be eating out or walking through a mall and if we saw kids throwing tantrums or "kids just being kids" he would say, "are you ready for that?"

And I always thought, "I can be ready for anything, if it could just be with you." 
 
My dream came true and here we are with seven kids and Kirk has been a father for twelve years now.  He is the best dad anyone could wish for.  I sometimes look at him with our kids and think, "how can I be more like him."  He loves our kids with his words, with his touch and with his service.  He will always make time. 
 
He is totally devoted to his kids.  He is a great example of someone who loves unconditionally and it's such a Christ like attribute that I stive to be better at following. 
 
Our kids love their dad.  When our kids are grown their dad will most likely be famous for:

-gathering his family for daily scripture study and prayer.
-consistently picking and reading a family novel (currently he is reading to them, "Twilight Land").
-playing all manner of sports with his kids.  The current obsession is pickle, both the girls and boys love it.
-playing board games.
-sneaking his kids treats that their mom would never buy otherwise
-flirting, hugging and kissing their mom aaaaalll the time in the kitchen (they love it, they just don't want to admit it.... :)
-wrestling
-taking time with each of his children individually.
-telling his kids what he loves about them.  He is great at this.
-sacrificing his time for Scouts. 
-making the Temple a priority and going each month.  Kirk loves the Temple, and because of this our kids do too.
-being spontaneous.
-playing the dot game with them in Sacrament meeting.
-swimming day and night with the kids.
-being in love with their mother- always.
-
(pictures include kids waking Kirk up to homemade cards and Father's Day breakfast, always French Toast which is his favorite)

Happy Father's Day to the most wonderful man.  There can't be a Father's Day without a mother and together we've come this far!  We've learned hard lessons.  We've make mistakes. We've had to work hard to become better parents, to realize our short comings and to be a team at giving these great kids the best examples.  And the learning is not over, not in the least.  Kirk, you've taught me so much.  I love watching you be a father to our children.  Thank you for working so hard to be the best dad.   The kids love you to pieces.  And I love you forever.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your wonderful husband Shauna! You definitely got a great one, and such heartbreaking pics of them all.

    As for me we were sitting with a big group at CPK Sat night after the temple when I heard someone down my row say Fathers Day. Immediately I looked at my group and said, "Oh my gosh, I totally forgot it was Fathers Day!" Glenn got out his phone and texted his buddies that yup, I had indeed forgotten. He had gone surfing with them earlier that day and told them all that he was sure I'd forgot. He was right as usual.

    I usually stay off all technology Sunday but I got up early that morning to do a post for my dad. Jeannette was saying at dinner that the first thing he does every morning is check my blog, how sweet is that? So since I had no gifts and no dinner planned it was the only thing I had. He told me at church how much it meant to him, Awwwwww.

    Anyway, I have a ton to do, as you know I was camping ALL last week, I can't believe I made it! But here I am Monday morning with chores to do, groceries to buy, kids to entertain and of course unpacking to do because you know I haven't done that yet :)

    Love to your whole family. You guys are all so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy father's day to your husband. What an amazing blessing to have such an incredible father for your children. I definitely looked for a man who I knew would be a great father one day. I hope he is as great as yours. Seeing all of yours kids in bed with their dad is just beautiful. You can tell how happy they all are to be waking dad up. I love father's day because I think it reminds us to thank the wonderful men in our life. They really do so much for us.
    And that french toast looks delicious, I might have to make some this week now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so precious! I hope he had an amazing father's day. You have a beautiful family! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for great husbands and fathers! Wouldn't the world be so much better if every man realized the impact they have on their families! This could also be said about moms! I am trying to prepare my boys that they may be good husbands. I am thankful I have one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, these pictures are adorable! Your family is so lucky to have such a fantastic father. Hope he had a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy {belated} Fathers day to an amazing father and husband. T
    he pics of them all in the bed is so heartwarming. Lucky kids and lucky family,
    Much love from me.
    Axxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first picture is amazing. Your family is so beautiful! Isn't it a wonderful blessing to be in awe of our partners? I feel the same way when I watch Kev, I just want to strive to be more like him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute to the love of your life! Those pictures are just adorable of them all joyfully hanging out with dad!! What a precious family you have!
    Our Pastor was talking about how Fathers need to see how much of a blessing their children are and this most just shows how much your husband understands this! Absolutely delightful Shauna!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post! Happy Father's Day, Kirk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He sounds like the BEST DADDY EVER. That is so so sweet. Happy fathers day to him

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kirk looks like an amazing father...the kind of parent I would love to be! But the truth is that I also look at you and I think, "Why can't I be more like Shauna?"

    You are an amazing mother and together you are fantastic parents. Your kids are super lucky to have you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the sweetest wife! What a beautiful family you have:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iam superly impressed by you any-ways, how you keep it together raising kids, teaching them etc. I think you guys make an incredible family, and I have just said a prayer for you and yours in my heart!(Prayer for forever happiness)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your posts are always so beautiful and loving. You set such a wonderful example for your children and for us. I appreciate you so much.

    ReplyDelete