This last weekend while my husband and three older kids went snowboarding with our dear friends, the Hales'. I stayed behind with the "wee ones." I am a seasoned mom so I can handle staying home with just the babies. Or can I?
Knowing that I was going to have a moment with my five year old daughter, Georgia, all to ourselves I was prepared with some treats. Some mini ice cream sandwiches from Trader Joe's and a variety of cocoa by Starbucks.
We put the babies to bed. We got comfy in our PJ's and slippers and watched her pick... Despicable Me. A very funny and cute flick. Didn't mind at all to watch it especially because it was with her.
There's nobody like Georgia. She's stands out in our family for sure. She's really outgoing and really outspoken. Here are some recent remarks from the Bearny B. herself: (Just to note, this conversation wasn't during this weekend).
Preface: After we bless the food, one of the kids accidentally forgot to specifically ask for a blessing upon the food. So, Gwyneth pipes up, "you need to remember to bless the food!"
Georgia: "It's okay Gwyneth, Jesus makes up for that!"
Gwyneth: "Mom how does she know these things?"
Me: "Uh, well, she, hmmm.....Georgia, where did you learn that-because you're absolutely right."
Georgia: "Mom, I just do know these things."
Me (As I'm winking at all the other kids): "Yes, Georgia, I don't know why I doubt you."
I love these moments because Georgia helps our family to bond with her cleverness and sweet remarks.
There's the Bearny B. herself. At the end of the movie she grabbed her pillow and into bed she crawled with her adoring mother. She is the best snuggler, kisser, and hugger. She calls kisses smooches. And to give those, she gets a death grip around my head and kisses me really hard anywhere on my face. She's precious. Just precious.
When we woke up, she got her brother Shane up, and they played.
They almost always start the day off with the "big" legos. They can do this for hours. I did a little laundry and spoke with my mom for about an hour on the phone.
Lunch came quickly. This is what I had. I saw whole wheat pita pockets at Trader Joe's and thought they sounded good to eat. But, I basically put a salad into it, so the pitas were almost useless-oh well. They were good.
I was going to say, "never mind what the kids had for lunch it's not very interesting." But after thinking about it, it may be more interesting than mine.
My kids love eggs. This food is definitely not subject to breakfast alone at our house. They love fried eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, you name it. So they asked for fried eggs. I served it with Bosc Pears and Avocado. I know-funny.
Georgia requested we go to Yogurt Land. I told her that sounded great and we'd go as soon as she swept the backyard. So sweep she did.
Here in lies the moments when I questioned whether I was actually a seasoned mom or not. First of all I thought it would be fun to take these two babies and a five year old to Yogurt Land. After all, I take my big kids there all the time with no problem. I'm a little out of practice.
Here, she (Summer) talked me into letting her have the tub of yogurt and she doesn't even know how to talk. And she doesn't really know how to feed herself. But, I let her go at it.
This is cute. About five minutes after this it wasn't so cute, because she was stickified and somehow talked me into letting her out of her stroller and she still didn't know how to talk! So now she's sticky and crawling around on the ground? I know, she totally takes advantage of me with her cuteness and those big huge eyes. It's crazy, I'm telling you.
Sweet Shane. He sat and ate his ice cream and minded his manners. Meanwhile the five year old Georgia, who I've been telling you I love so much, she's one of a kind....well apparently she's not the best listener. I think her lack of listening gets masked by her older siblings being around. I must not notice it as much...that's got to be it? She finished her ice cream and is now picking flowers on the patch of grass by Yogurt Land right next to a crazy, busy street.
I call to her. No response. And she goes further. I call to her again. No response and yet again, further away to pick those flowers. It happens again. By this time I've got Summer in a football hold with my nice camera in the other hand traipsing across the lawn to give Georgia an earful.
All the while, this woman is staring the whole time in dismay I'm sure about the naughty Georgia(who I now have by my side), the football hold I've got my baby in and the nice camera I'm prioritizing in the other hand. Inside I was cracking up laughing. And then and there I knew I was a seasoned mom. The whole seen was hilarious.
I wanted to say to her "this is nothing, I've got three more of these from the same exact place these one's are from"!!!!!!!! In a funny, light hearted, humorous way of course.
After the stress and humor of Yogurt Land I knew it was time for the park. We went to Jake's Lot in Almaden. It's one of our favorite parks.
This is why I keep having more children for Pete's Sake. They're just so great. So fun, so precious. So mesmorizing. So full of creativity, joy and love.
We stayed at the park for almost two hours and I took pictures at first. But then, I just sat and watched and watched and watched. I don't want to take my eyes off of them, ever. Not because I'm worried about them, but because I don't want to miss a second of their lives with me, while I have them. I loved having just the three of them with me for the weekend. It was a whole different dynamic, one that I'm not so use to anymore with big kids around all the time.

Such sweet photos of the kids. So great that Kirk could take all the big uns' snowboarding, I bet they had a great time.
ReplyDeleteEating food off the floor, trampolines & hellraisers I am comfortable with, the street thing would freak me out. I'd be giving you a dirty look too, just kidding. Just make sure Georgie Peorgie stays close to you, she is so dear.
Yes, it was freaking me out that's why I was calling her. I guess I should have made it clear that I cracking up inside after I had her in hand.
DeleteSpeaking of trampolines-do you still have yours? I haven't noticed it in the pictures lately?
Love,
Shauna
You didn't have Georgia's protector, buddy, best friend & big brother, Kalen, there with you. He would have run after her or been right there with her. He's such a great big brother. I love Georgia for sure, too.
ReplyDeleteLove the pic of Sums through the slats of the playground.
And then there is Shane. I LOVE him. That's just like him to quietly nicely sit eating his yogurt. He was probably just sitting quietly eating while watching you were crazily running around with the girls. Love him.
Kerri
He did just sit and eat. He's such a good boy. And he listens better than his five year old sister...go figure? And yes, I was running around crazily gathering up the girls'. That's when I was out of there, and to the park!!!
DeleteI can't wait for camping in JUNE!!! It's going to be here before we know it.
Love you and miss you-
Shauna
cute picture of you and Georgia! I miss that park in Almaden. it was one of our favorites.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jill! How are you weathering the snow? I haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad you commented! Take care,
DeleteShauna
You make having multiple kids seem so effortless...I have no idea how you do it. When my husband is traveling for work I wonder how on earth I'm going to handle my one kid. Not that he really does that much but still...somehow when I'm totally over it he finds the energy to step in.
ReplyDeleteLove the cute ruffled pants. And that picture of you? Gorgeous.
Oh I don't know about effortless, but I try to do my best, but who knows for some that might be lousy! Hahahahaha. I'm glad you and your husband have that team effort in place that's so critical I think in our marriages while raising these kids, however many we have. Heaven knows I wouldn't have so many if my husband wasn't really involved.
DeleteAmeena, I really love that you read my blog. Thank you for your comments, really, you are so kind. Especially when you compliment me, I love it! But, again, too kind.... :) Take good care,
Shauna
I'm glad that your husband is so involved in your kids lives! Maybe he can come over and give me and Ali a few tips on how to do the same. :)
DeleteAnd I'm not being kind when I compliment you! I am being 100% honest.
I am coming to your house for lunch! Yummy!
ReplyDeleteCome!!!!!! We would have so much in common, I can tell by reading your blog, that's why I read it. :)
DeleteLove this one and the pictures. You are so funny, I was cracking up the whole time I was reading this. Of course you are a seasoned Mom silly girl.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Georgia's SMOOCHES. And Shane, what a sweet little guy. Can't wait for Summer to actually walk, and she does not need to speak words. Obviously, she communicates with her mom telepathically.
So glad you were able to spend some alone time with Georgia. I am sure she was just as happy as a clam. It was so nice to have an actual conversation with you. It does not happen very often anymore. It was such a pleasure.
Love you all so much, Mom
P.S. Give Georgia a SMOOCHE from Grandma Judy.
I knew you'd be laughing mom. I will give her a smooch and it was nice talking to you for so long. Love you,
DeleteShauna
Seasoned mom, indeed, I love reading your adventures,
ReplyDeleteThanks Elle, I learn a lot from your blog.
DeleteShauna, two things:
ReplyDelete1. The comment you shared on my blog today was so thoughtful and heartfelt and interesting to read. I think that you shared and touched on so many different things that are meaningful for all women. I love that you chose to focus on what light we as women are able to share in the world today.
2. The way that you choose to share your beautiful family here just touches me. I so admire the way that you embrace the unique spirit of each of your children and encourage them. And that you create special moments to share with them and for them to share with one another. They are a wonderful reflection of your kindness and patience.
Dear Kat,
DeleteThank you for your kind and thoughtful words about my family and me, it's heartfelt and much appreciated. Thank you.
On a another note you're going to think I'm crazy but I was up half the night last night thinking about my response to the whole controversy that you posted on your blog. I was thinking was it appropriate? Was it well thought out? To be honest I hadn't really looked into the issue before I responded. I looked into it early this morning for three hours. I researched and read for what seemed like hours before my kids got up.
And then I wrote you a dissertation. But, guess what? I can be really smart but really dumb, especially when it comes to the computer. I tried to send it to you in your comment box and it bounced for having too many characters, so I tried to copy it into a word document and I failed and it was gone.
I almost cried. What I really wanted to show is that there is so much more to this issue than just Rush himself and what he said. And I didn't see any of the other woman really pointing this out so I thought I would. Well, I just wanted to say that I would be happy to email you this info and the research I sited if you really want it.
Take care and thank you again for the blog friendship-
Shauna
Hi Kat, it's me again. Sorry. Just one more thought. You might think, "well if she really wanted to email it to me she would have." But, I really did want to but since I lost it, I'd have to write it out again. And then I thought that's going to be awkward for you to say, "no thanks, not interested." But, I will not be offended at all if your good and done with this and want to move on for now. Totally understand either way.
DeleteShauna
Shauna...this is why I love you and your blog! Your knack for sharing the day to day with you BEAUTIFUL family...and the fact that every inch of all of you is just bursting with LOVE. You have 6 very lucky kids, because you are a wonderful Mama. And of course, we always have mishaps. I have big mishaps with only one baby. Ha. And I totally know what you mean about keeping the camera safe during a kiddo juggling act. ;)
ReplyDeleteYour Georgia sounds like a true peach....love her personality. And how about those beautiful big kids in their snowboarding gear!!
Ashley, dear Ashley,
DeleteYou are so sweet and your blog is one of a kind. Thank you for your kind words and for reading my blog. It makes me so happy that you comment and take your time out for me.
I'm glad you can relate to the camera thing! Take care,
Shauna
A seasoned mom. I can't wait until I am one of those. I'm pretty layed back and go with the flow but there are times I do not know what to say or how to react to somethings. Learning, learning.
ReplyDelete