This is Gwyneth's best friend Lilly VanTuyl. These girls have been friends since, well, birth. Her mom and I are good friends and we were pregnant with these two little sweet girls together. The girls share their birthday's two weeks apart.
They have been friends at the hip since attending nursery at church. Here are their sweet cherub faces when they were just four years old. We were all at the Oakland Temple together. (Lilly is on the left and Gwyneth on the right).

Today they are both nine and still best friends for life!!! These two girls are one of a kind and unique. They are a match made in Heaven. My daughter loves her so much. They are pen pals, of course. They love books, that's a complete understatement by the way. They border on obsessive but I'm thinking I could have bigger problems.
They have been friends at the hip since attending nursery at church. Here are their sweet cherub faces when they were just four years old. We were all at the Oakland Temple together. (Lilly is on the left and Gwyneth on the right).

Today they are both nine and still best friends for life!!! These two girls are one of a kind and unique. They are a match made in Heaven. My daughter loves her so much. They are pen pals, of course. They love books, that's a complete understatement by the way. They border on obsessive but I'm thinking I could have bigger problems.
They had a playdate the other day. They kicked it off with some baking. They decided to make blueberry muffins with some chocolate chips added in.
They are acting like such goofs because they had this idea that putting flour on their faces made them just like "professional bakers."
Too bad they turned out soooo bad. That's what they get for "acting" like professional bakers instead of just being professional bakers!!! Silly girls, in the midst of their shenanigans they forgot to put in the baking powder and added too much salt.
Would you believe most of them ate the muffins anyway? At first I thought gross (because they were) but then I realized if it has chocolate in it, kids will eat it.
Guess what they ended their "play date" doing? Writing poetry. Yes. Poetry. I tell you these girls are too much. Ridiculously cute, smart, innocent and such a pleasure to be around.
"The Ocean Sings to Me" is courtesy of Lilly and "Keep a Poem in Your Pocket" is composed by Gwyneth.
"The Ocean Sings to Me"
The ocean sings to me,
It's sad melody,
It sings a sweet, sweet song,
The ocean sings to me.
Why it sings a sad, sad song?
I do not know.
Something must have happened,
Long, long ago.......
(Lilly VanTuyl)
"Keep A Poem In Your Pocket"
Keep a poem in your pocket,
And a picture in your head,
And dream of endless sunshine,
At night when you're in bed.
So when you have a poem,
let it sing to you all day,
And never be lonely as you lay,
Thinking of that picture,
You'll always be so gay.
(Gwyneth Klippel)

So sad the muffins weren't good! But I am impressed that two gorgeous little kids like these could even attempt baking. Very impressive!
ReplyDeleteThey are beautiful. Truly. So sweet that they have each other!
I think it's great they have each other too. It seems like little kids don't keep a close friend like this for very long-but them two, I wouldn't be surprised if they went off to college together. :)
DeleteShauna
Ummm....Gwyneth looks just like Georgia in that first picture! Or maybe it's just me thinking that?
ReplyDeleteMuffins sounded goooooood!!! Until you said they didn't turn out...but, chocolate probably would have got me to eat them anyway too.
So nice to have good friends that have the same interests! Books, baking, poetry. Those girls ARE poets! I LOVE those poems. So cute!
(just got caught up on your March postings, and left some comments, just in case you don't get comment notifications. sorry to be so behind. i love your blog!)
ReplyDeleteOh I am all for kids baking in the kitchen, so much fun. She will learn from her mistakes and be a great little baker I am sure of it.
ReplyDeleteShe is a great baker Marie, that's the funny thing. She bakes a lot actually, when she's alone and focused she's on top of it. But, with friends around she gets too distracted, apparently... :) Talk soon,
DeleteShauna
Once again, I second what Marie said. Also, this is proof positive that if children are involved in the food preparation they will be more interested in eating the food. How sweet their friendship is! They will cherish these memories all of their lives. Such beautiful little girls. Luv ya, Mom
ReplyDeleteP.S. Nice poetry Gwyneth, love you.
Yes, it's fun to have them in the kitchen for sure, creating and doing. It's great when they clean up too. :) Love you,
DeleteShauna
What little cuties! I don't have any memories of baking with my mom :( A wonder I turned out to be a kitchen-oriented person myself. Now that I think about it, I wonder where that comes from...
ReplyDeleteI wasn't big into the kitchen either Andrea. Although, it's not like my mom didn't try. I got married totally inept at cooking. My inspiration was Marie Wallwork over at Feeding Five. She taught most of what I know. And my mom has helped me too, through the years. Thank goodness or my kids and husband would be suffering...Ha. Their lucky I've learned. :)
DeleteSuper smart girls. So cute!
ReplyDeleteThanks, they really are. I wish I had time to read like my daughter does. She will be so happy she has done all of this reading because there will positively come a time when she will not have as much time...
DeleteThose two are so sweet together! I am such a believer that friendships and relationships like those are ones that we were always meant to have. And (more selfishly) I miss the days of having flour on my face and not caring.
ReplyDeleteOn that note, I'm 11/10 impressed by their poetry. Considering the fact that all I'm good for is haiku, their choices of subject and style seem very thoughtful.
Me too Kat. I have a friend that I grew up with and we are really close. We don't talk all of the time but I know she is there for me whenever. She's a lot like a sister I suppose. And then there are all of the great women that I've bonded with in my married years that I will cherish forever. It's so great being a women, I always tell my husband....he just smiles. I'm so nerdy and I know he's thinking the same thing. :)
DeleteWhat darling little friends they are!! I love the pictures of them together. How fun to have been friends literally since birth...and I'm sure they were hanging out and playing together in heaven before their birthdays. Hope you have a fabulous weekend Shauna!!
ReplyDeleteLaura-you too! Take care,
ReplyDeleteShauna
That's so nice - hope they get to follow eachother for life! :-)
ReplyDeletehow sweet and precious!!
ReplyDeleteThey look like they'll be friends for a long time! As an English student I wholeheartedly support any young poets, so well done to them!
ReplyDeleteHey there, this is a bunting: http://www.pupsikstudio.com/oobi-bunting.html
ReplyDeleteLooks really nice! :-)
Those two will be lifelong friends...I have no doubt! They look like two sweet peas in a pod. :) Both BEAUTIFUL.
ReplyDeleteI love that they thought the flour made them look like pros...so cute.
Such a blessing that they have a love for books and poetry at such a young age! And BOTH poems are seriously amazing. What amazing girls.