My husband that is. A few posts back I was tagged and tagged again to answer some questions. In that post I answered this question:
Do you believe there is one right person for us to marry (promises in heaven and such) or do you think that any two people willing to put forth the effort could make any marriage work?
You can see my answer HERE. Basically I answered that there aren't two specific people for one another, as in a fairy tale, but that we could be married to many people and make it work.
Well, my sweet, sweet husband brought it to my attention that he thought I was rather cavalier about my answer. Somewhat shocked, was his response to my response.
So this post is dedicated to my adoring husband who was meant for me and only me, and I for him, of course.
Here is our Story
A shortened version if you will...or not so short.
Many years ago about fifteen to be exact, I was a girl who was a little bit lost. When I first saw Kirk in our Geology class in college I loved him. You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. I was drawn to him, like in a fairy tale, yes a fairy tale.
Kirk was born and raised in the LDS church, or Mormon church if you want. I was not. I loved everything about Kirk. He was generous and thoughtful. (Thoughtful as in his first gift to me was a homemade quilt he made with his mom). He was fun, funny, helpful and patient. He treated his mom with great respect and it was very apparent.
I'd never met a young man like him. What was different about him? Why was he different? He was good and happy and loved life. I asked him if I could go to church with him and the minute I walked through those doors I felt something I'd never felt before. Many people call it by different names, we call it the spirit or the Holy Ghost. Sound corny, well I thought so at first too. That's okay.

I learned about the church through what we call the discussions and I wanted to be baptized. For the next while after this, things were rough. I can't go into it completely as it's very personal but I can say that making this conversion was hard. I had one foot in my previous life and one foot in the new. I was learning to live by new standards that I loved and I believed but still life can be hard this way. You can know something with all of your heart and still be pulled in directions that are hard to stay away from.
Kirk was patient, sad, lonely, and confused, I'm sure. I actually didn't see him very much after I was baptized into the church. And then something happened, a miracle a spiritual conversion if you will and I came running. Not just to Kirk but more importantly to my Savior Jesus Christ. And I've never looked back. Sound corny again, I know, I never thought in a million years I'd be saying things like this. But, I am and I love it.
We were married in the Oakland Temple on June 12th, 1999, for what we believe to be "All Time and Eternity." That's a long time right? So to start it's best if you pick a great match. And I did.
I went to college first, at Santa Clara University. He went when I was done and we also had had our first son already. He finished college and worked really hard to do so. He was working full time at IBM and was going to San Jose State at night to finish up his degree in Net Work Engineering.
We've now been married for almost thirteen years. We have six children together, but even though our children take up most of our time and our marriage, this post is about us two, just us, for a minute.
I love so much about us. One thing I love is that when the kids are down for the night we do something together, whether it be talking, watching a show or talking (mostly what we do at night-to catch up on what's going on). We don't usually do "our own thing." We're somewhat attached at the hip or I'm attached at his hip. I love it, because I hate being alone. Remember I was an only child most of my life so there's no need to be alone, been there done that. Now my husband on the other had comes from a family of nine children, him being the last. I figure he's so use to being around people, he doesn't know anything different so here I am by his side whenever I can be. Like I said, "he knows no different." :)
I love so much about us. One thing I love is that when the kids are down for the night we do something together, whether it be talking, watching a show or talking (mostly what we do at night-to catch up on what's going on). We don't usually do "our own thing." We're somewhat attached at the hip or I'm attached at his hip. I love it, because I hate being alone. Remember I was an only child most of my life so there's no need to be alone, been there done that. Now my husband on the other had comes from a family of nine children, him being the last. I figure he's so use to being around people, he doesn't know anything different so here I am by his side whenever I can be. Like I said, "he knows no different." :)
Often people describe Kirk as being reserved or shy. Reserved, yes, shy-no. But, with his wife, he talks and talks and talks and talks. I came home the other night from a church mid week meeting which was about being the "best you can be in your marriage." We laid in bed for two hours talking about the meeting. Kirk loves to talk with me. And I love that about him because he's an emotional support which keeps us close.
Kirk and I were meant for each other. When he comes home from work he always, always, finds me (usually in the kitchen) wraps his arms around me, kisses me and looks me in the eyes and asks me how I am. Always. He's a great father, the best really. He's also hilarious, not many have seen his shenanigans save his wife, and his children, his brother Kraig and great friend/sister Kerri. But, he frequently does these dances across the kitchen floor that are too much for words to even describe, he reads all of our family novels in this Southern accent that's not quite right but it's hilarious. And then the two of us together can get a little out of hand with me belting out my British accent that I long to have, singing with it, or shouting orders with at the kids, and Kirk's right behind me trying to keep up, but his British accent always comes out Southern?
He loves Jane Austin and Downton Abbey is his favorite show; well next to Top Gear and Myth Busters. His Sister, Kerri, calls us "Ken and Lesly" (Kirk's parents) because if we watch anything it's always British Television, just like his parents. But, he also does all of the work on our cars; brakes, oil, and tune ups.
See, he's very manly along with his love for Jane Austin.
He tells me he loves me everyday, after every phone conversation and he always kisses me goodnight. Do we have moments of contention, of course, but not many. Mainly when we start talking about politics, which we aren't always on the same page about, but luckily for him I'm more conservative than I use to be (dad I"m sorry, I know that's killing you) so we can talk more politics than before.
We have the rare argument, usually over a miss communication, but we don't stay upset with each other, ever. This is so long. But, really short compared to what I could have included.
I could say he's my best friend, which is true. But, even more he's my companion for this life and forever. I will love him in the ups and downs. And I love him more than anything for having faith in me, to marry me, and to hold me dear to his heart to this day and onward, I'm sure of it.
I love you Kirk, forever.
Kirk and I were meant for each other. When he comes home from work he always, always, finds me (usually in the kitchen) wraps his arms around me, kisses me and looks me in the eyes and asks me how I am. Always. He's a great father, the best really. He's also hilarious, not many have seen his shenanigans save his wife, and his children, his brother Kraig and great friend/sister Kerri. But, he frequently does these dances across the kitchen floor that are too much for words to even describe, he reads all of our family novels in this Southern accent that's not quite right but it's hilarious. And then the two of us together can get a little out of hand with me belting out my British accent that I long to have, singing with it, or shouting orders with at the kids, and Kirk's right behind me trying to keep up, but his British accent always comes out Southern?
He loves Jane Austin and Downton Abbey is his favorite show; well next to Top Gear and Myth Busters. His Sister, Kerri, calls us "Ken and Lesly" (Kirk's parents) because if we watch anything it's always British Television, just like his parents. But, he also does all of the work on our cars; brakes, oil, and tune ups.
See, he's very manly along with his love for Jane Austin.
He tells me he loves me everyday, after every phone conversation and he always kisses me goodnight. Do we have moments of contention, of course, but not many. Mainly when we start talking about politics, which we aren't always on the same page about, but luckily for him I'm more conservative than I use to be (dad I"m sorry, I know that's killing you) so we can talk more politics than before.
We have the rare argument, usually over a miss communication, but we don't stay upset with each other, ever. This is so long. But, really short compared to what I could have included.
I could say he's my best friend, which is true. But, even more he's my companion for this life and forever. I will love him in the ups and downs. And I love him more than anything for having faith in me, to marry me, and to hold me dear to his heart to this day and onward, I'm sure of it.
I love you Kirk, forever.


I love this post. I feel the same way as you do in that I don't think there is just one person, but many right people; however, so fit way better together than other. Like peanut butter and jelly. Satan sure does have a way of working on us converts. It is hard when you are the only member in your family. I remember right before I took out my endowments how the challenges came on full force. The stake president said that this would occur because satan new that I would be the key to pass and future generations and Satan was going to do everything in his power to stop that. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting. During the time I was baptized some people came into my life that just weren't the best. I'm so glad I was able to finally get away really use the atonement. That's when everything started to change. Thanks for your comment. I love that we connected. You have a great spirit about you. Take care,
DeleteShauna
p.s. I am an only child too!
ReplyDeleteI just love you two.
ReplyDeleteSandy, we love you too! And I miss you. I hope you are well, it's fun seeing pictures of you on the blogs that your sweet children keep up-it's great. Take care,
DeleteShauna
What a sweet post! I second your friend Sandy's emotion, I just love you two, too!! These pictures of you two are beautiful. Reading this one brought tears to my eyes.
ReplyDeleteAlthough it took me many years to really get to know him, I adore Kirk, reserved as he is. He is funny, smart, loving and compassionate. He is a wonderful son-in-law. But most of all, as your mother it makes me happy to see how much he loves you and how much you love each other. I believe that you two were meant for each other for now and always. You are both truly blessed.
Now, let me just say as a young widow, I certainly hope there is more than one someone for me. Nuff said!!!!
Love you,
Mom
yes, mom I hope for you too. Thanks for your sweet comments. Love,
DeleteShauna
Great post Shauna!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie.
DeleteIt looks like you have been having a lot of fun since deep cleaning every inch of your kitchen! :) This is a great post and great story of how you met your hub! I agree that there are many people we could potentially marry. It is impossible though now for me to imagine ever being married to someone else. The longer you are married the more your two lives become one...or something like that. :) How amazing that meeting Kirk literally changed your entire life- such an amazing story!!! And here you are six sweet babies later!!!
ReplyDeleteLaura! Yes, it did change my life, thank goodness, I don't even like to think of how my life could have been without the church. I love it so much and can't imagine life without it, or my husband for that matter- like you said.
DeleteOkay, so are you about ready to have your sweet little baby girl? Hope and wish the best for you!
Shauna
Awwwww, so sweet Shauna, Kirk deserves it as he is so incredibly wonderful. He is such a great dad too, and I do think you two were made for each other.
ReplyDeleteI loved your 'been there, done that quote', yes no more being alone, not in the Klippel home.
I love you both so much. Two of the most amazing people and parents EVER!!!!!!
Thanks for your words Marie, this means a lot to me. I can say the same about you and Glenn for sure, without a doubt-two of the greatest people. Love you,
DeleteShauna
Very sweet Shauna. What a great love story. I always love hearing about marriages that work.
ReplyDeleteThanks, it is a great love story. I'm glad I was able to pull it together so that it could be great-know what I mean? Take care,
DeleteShauna
what a wonderful post. I loved all the pics, but especially the last one! love you tons.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jill, it was fun to write.
DeleteLove,
Shauna
When you wrote the original post, I completely understood your answer, but I do love that you decided to delve in a little bit further. I'm not going to lie, I practically died when you said that your husband actioned a quilt for you with his mother. I am such a lover of homemade things in that realm (quilts, embroidered dish towels, afghans, etc.) because beyond the fact that they're 11/10 durable, they invariably end up being family treasures.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if you do have the research, I would absolutely love to read it, if for no other reason than to expand my own understanding of what all happened when. My e-mail address is tenaciouslyyourskm at gmail dot com.
Have a lovely weekend, friend!
Alright, I'm going to try to get on that. (The research)
DeleteI'm not going to lie either-I about died when I opened the box with the quilt in it. I din't know what to say. It was nothing I had experienced before. :) Take care!
Shauna
Wow. So instead of writing about how your husband does nothing write like I do...you come up with the most amazingly sweet post I've ever read. Truly amazing.
ReplyDeleteYour husband sounds like a fabulous father and person - and someone you obviously deserve to have at your side because you are these things and more. To have 6 kids and to still be so in love? Not an easy feat. I admire both of you!
Beautiful photos. You are a stunning family.
Hope you are having a great Sunday so far.
Thanks Ameena, he is a great father and person, but none of us are perfect. Thank you for your compliments. I guess it's hard to fall out of love when I'm attached at his hip! Take care,
DeleteShauna
Aww, I loved reading this! Always happy to see people in love after many years of relationship, my hubby and I have been together for 13 years and I couldn´t think of anyone better. Glad you two have eachother! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Tina, same to you!
DeleteWhile I'm not a Mormon, many friends and some cousins are. And I've always admired the Mormon approach to marriage and family. I think everyone could learn something from that.
ReplyDeleteThanks for mentioning that, I think you're right.
DeleteAw, you guys are such a lovely couple!
ReplyDeleteshauna this was so fun to read! you guys are awesome, but I was always so impressed with how gentle kirk was with babies. he is a really great guy- you're right!
ReplyDeleteThanks for checking in, you are so sweet! I am SO ready for this baby to come. I'm due next Wed but I would be thrilled if she came right NOW!!! :D
ReplyDeleteAww, this is such a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing your life with us.
ReplyDeleteLove this post. LOVE the pictures! In the process of going through ALL my pictures and I found pictures of your wedding. What a fun time! Also found your engagement photo.
ReplyDeleteI agree, I think many people work together in marriage...not just one "meant to be." But, I also agree that some work better than others...not just as individuals each putting forth 100% but also efforts collectively, as a couple. Loved seeing/reading how you and Kirk compliment each others personalities and even the single child and large family aspect. Perfect! Also love the accents! So funny! And fun!
this totally made me teary eyed. You two are truly meant for each other. What an inspiration to other couples AND readers of your blog!!
ReplyDelete