Saturdays are busy with morning chores, family fun time and Tennis Academy. Up until now Kalen was going to Senior Academy on Saturdays. But, Gwyneth made it one of her goals earlier this year to test into Juniors at the Los Gatos Tennis Academy. So not only did she test but her brother and side kick, Reece, tested too. They were both accepted with flying colors. More on that below.
Since Junior Academy is from 4pm-6pm, I made dinner early and whipped up some tacos. We haven't had this meal for a long time. It was so good.
Most of my family like their tacos pretty plain, just the basics. Meat(ground turkey), cheese, lettuce and tomato. But, as you can see I put lots of other options out as well, which is basically for me.
The tacos you see in the picture are homemade. Well, homemade into the taco shape that is. Usually you fry corn tortillas but once I did flour and my husband loved it so much, it's all I'm allowed to make now. But, they are so good, flaky and buttery.
I like tacos. But I LOVE taco salad. This is what my dinner looked like. There are black beans under there, you just can't see them. It's chips, black beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, cabbage, avocado and a dollop of Greek yogurt. With plenty of hot sauce all over it, and a tad bit of my normal salad dressing. So good.
This is Summer or Tumsy. She was helping me make the tacos. See how she dumped out all of the measuring spoons so I would be able to choose the ones I needed more readily. She's very efficient, I must say. And so cute.
Shane likes his tacos plain, like the one above. But, he is only two and eating a taco, so not too shabby.
The kids are getting ready to go to Academy and make their marks.
Reece told us he wouldn't go if Gwyneth wasn't going to test also. We said to him, "well, what are you going to do in other situations when Gwyneth can't be with you?" He said, "I don't know?"
He and Gwyneth love each other so much. They truly are friends. It's so special to see.
Here are the two friends, sister and brother, and team mates for LIFE!!!!! That's what I tell them...when they aren't best friends. Yes, they have their moments, very few of them, but they have them.
After coming home from testing Kirk and Kalen said Reece dominated when they played Gladiator at the Academy. The game is played by holding your side of the court until someone knocks you out when you can't return their hit.
Kirk said the ten year olds that Reece was beating didn't look so happy.
When the big kids go off to tennis I"m left with the "tots." Georgia is five, isn't that still considered a toddler. No? Well, she hasn't started school yet, so until then she's getting grouped with Shane and Summer.
She is creating with her brother Shane and our next door neighbor Marissa. That was nice, but it didn't last long until they wanted me.....
to play with them. When the big kids are gone, they automatically turn to mommy to play with them. So play I did. Candy Land is the name of the game and it's so cute to listen to them say the same things I did when I played this game as a little girl.
Things like, "mommy I wish we actually lived in a candy land." To which I replied, "well, if that candy land is a chocolate land then I'm right there with you Georgia."
We managed to squeeze in a trip to the library before taking Kalen to Academy at noon. This looks like so many books. But, it's actually one of our "lighter" trips.
It was a great day. Productive, fun with good food, a pretty perfect day.

This might sound like a ridiculous question, but how do you fry your tortillas into that shape? I have this really frustrating problem where Paul likes tacos from gross taco places like Taco Bravo (have you ever been there? so nasty) but I only really like homemade tacos (which he doesn't like). But I am betting if I could fry taco shells like yours that Paul would change his tune.
ReplyDeleteAmy, I take my stock pot and put in enough veg. oil, canola, whatever you have to fill it about two inches high. Let it get really hot. Take the tortilla and immerse it flat for about ten seconds and flip over to the other side, flat for another ten seconds. Now at this point take the tongs and fold one side over into taco shape let sit for about twenty seconds and flip over to the other taco side and let it brown for twenty seconds. Once you shaped it into the taco you'll only be able to immerse one flat side at a time and that's fine.
DeleteSee why I only do tacos once in awhile? This is the only fried food I make. I prefer corn but the flour tortilla fried is really good though, for sure; just something different. Take care,
Shauna
cute pictures of your kids. congrats to Gwyneth and Reece. I love trips to the library. a light load? that's funny. I'm going to try frying flour tortillas next time. that looked good. Jake and I also play candy land almost every day. love that game....
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute post!!! I love the pics of the kids and I can't believe how much Summer Ann has grown. Is she walking yet? Love the taco salad, did you save some for me?
ReplyDeleteGood idea to do the taco shells in the stock pot instead of a skillet. It probably makes a lot less greasy mess than the traditional skillet.
Congratulations Gwyneth and Reece!!!!!!! YOU ARE BOTH SO INCREDIBLY TALENTED AND AWESOME. Lots of love, hugs and kisses. Grandma Judy
Love tacos too! Your Saturdays sound like mine!
ReplyDeleteGwyneth and Reece are too sweet together! To share a bond like that with a sibling is such a special thing.
ReplyDeletep.s. My tacos are always a circus. Sometimes they end up in salad, sometimes they end up looking like a disaster scene. I've written them off as food that is best eaten when surrounded by family and/or extremely non-judgmental friends.
Taco salad has got to be one of my favorites too. The only thing is I pile on each ingredient, cause they're so good, and by the time I start eating it's a HUMONGOUS salad. Black beans, chips and avocado are a match made in heaven.
ReplyDeleteSo if the academy is at 4 do y'all eat at 3:30? Ok, I thought our 5 o'clock dinners were early but you have me beat.
Yes, we had dinner at 3:30pm. But, this is not normal. We usually eat between five thirty and six.
ReplyDeleteI love taco salad...and dinner at 3:30? Talk about getting things out of the way - I love it!
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday Shauna. Hope you have a great week!
It's only 9:30 am and I want to eat those tacos for breakfast!
ReplyDeleteTotally smiling because we just had tacos too- Great minds you know........
ReplyDeleteSuch cozy, nice pics - love them all! And I love tacos as well, so now I´m a little hungry..! :-D
ReplyDeleteHi Shauna! Megan Gunyan here. I found your blog through Marie Wallworks blog. I love catching up with you and your cute family. I hope you don't ind me blog-stalking you every now and then! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteWe need Candyland! Marley got The Lady Bug Game for Christmas and she LOVES it. We play it pretty much every other night before bed (we alternate games before bed and books before bed, every other night). That game was invented by a 4th grader and it is a great game for 3+, however, I'm sure Shane would love to play it too with some counting help from Georgia. Nathan and I are kinda getting tired of it, Marley is not. Thus, we need some more games like Candyland! Only other games we have for her age are Old Maid, Go Fish and Crazy Eights. Crazy Eights is the only favorite left for me and Nate.
ReplyDeleteGo Reece and Gwyneth!
I LOVE taco salad! You know me, EASY!!! And I agree with Marie ~ "Black beans, chips and avocado are a match made in heaven."
It's been awhile since I checked all my blogs! Getting caught up again. I left a comment on the post below too. Love you Shauna!
ReplyDeleteHow yummy does that look. Love the pics.
ReplyDeletefollow each other?
WOW! You have me drooling over those yummy looking tacos! :D Taco Night is always my favorite. I, actually, prefer taco salad with all the extras, (like you), but I usually settle for tacos with lots of extras. Yum. Now I wish we were having tacos for dinner. ;)
ReplyDeleteI love that your family seems so incredibly close...from the bro/sis teammates FOR LIFE, to the family board game. I love it all. You are an inspiration as a loving and kind and caring mother. :) Hope you all are having a good week so far! xoxo
We grew up with Tacos every Monday... Still a favorite.
ReplyDeleteI just swell up eveytine I read about your family. Such great kids!
ReplyDeleteShauna, the day my son got the Priesthood and passed the sacrament for the first time with his dad was such a special day. I have to say it ranks up their with giving birth, baptism, and getting married. I hope it will be just as special for your family too! Have a happy weekend. Oh, did you know you can get rid of the little google sign beaneath your photos by just clicking on it and then deleting it. Thought you might like to know. Kelleyn
ReplyDelete