Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Scratching the Surface...



How's this for the first picture to a post?  I know-nasty.  Gone are the days when my official cleaning day was "Monday."  Since I started homeschooling my children, I don't get a chance to deep clean my kitchen as often as I would like.  Hence the title "Scratching the Surface."  I went through cupboards, dusted the shelves, consolidated, threw things away (hence the nasty floor) and scrubbed.

My husband had the three older kids at the SAP Open all day Friday and my mother in law took the rest of the three kids that day so I could get down and dirty.  Here I am behind the stove.  It felt so good.

I literally have to scrub our kitchen floor.  I can only mop so much until the dirt collects on this faux tile floor. It has little grooves that love the dirt build up.


I took the panel off of the fridge, washed it and vacuumed it out under there.  It wasn't tooooo bad, but still, bad enough.



There's a beautiful kitchen that's clean through and through not just on the surface!

And here's me, happy and glowing after I've done what I swear I do best....clean.

Scratching the Surface again...

On a side note, my friend Becky re tagged me wanting me to answer the eleven questions she came up with for her tag.   So I'm going to scratch the surface again and talk more about me, which is fun, but this is it-promise.

1. What is the funniest joke you know?
What do you get when a witch crosses the sand?  A sandwich.   I know, it's awesome.  
2. Who is your favorite Disney Princess?
Rapunzel for sure.  My daughter Georgia looks like her and that movie is the bomb.  
3. If you had the money and time, would you come visit me in Michigan? Honestly. 
Of course I would.  I really want to meet your daughter!
4. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go, who would go with you and how long would you like to stay?

Simple.  I would go back to Switzerland where I would stay in the "where abouts" of Lake Lucerne.   I'd go with my side kick, Kirk Klippel, of course.  We loved it there so much.  And guess what? My favorite tennis player, Roger Federer is from there.  My husband said I could look him up if we go back. Ya know- just to chat.  :)

5. What piece of furniture in your house is your favorite or that you are most happy with? (picture?)
There are three pieces:  My bed, a desk that was recently sitting on our common lawn with a "free" sign, that my daughter Gwyneth is currently using and the butcher block in my kitchen.  The butcher block can be seen above. Here are some pictures:





6. What is your favorite season? Why?
My favorite season is Winter.  I love the rain, it makes me happy.  I know, I'm the opposite of everyone else.  Too much sun these days is depressing for me.  As I get older I can't handle it as well and the clouds and rain, I think, are beautiful.  I always feel like calling the Weather Channel when they describe the clouds and rain as gloomy to say, "Hey that's all relative you know, there are people out there who think the sun is gloomy!"  I think I would love Washington State for example, and my husband says I would get sick of it.  


7. If you could pick any calling in the church, what would you choose? (not aspire to, choose)
I love teaching Relief Society.  I love teaching.  I would never choose to be Relief Society President, no thank you, not ever.  I've served under four presidencies as a counselor in the last four years and those presidents/women are here and there and everywhere, making magic.  I'm not magic like that.  


8. Do you believe there is one right person for us to marry (promises in heaven and such) or do you think that any two people willing to put forth the effort could make any marriage work? 
I believe there is more than one person for another person.  I think your sister answered this perfectly in her tag.  To me it doesn't make sense the other way.  That's not reality to think there is just one person for another.  Are there better people for certain people?  For sure.  Do people often get married for wrong reasons and all that goes along with that?  For sure.  But, given time, effort. patience, compassion, love, two people can be together and be happy.  
But, it can be fun to think there is only one for you.  


9. What is included in your vision of "The Perfect Day?"


This is a hard one.  I'm tempted to skip it.  But, it's nothing grand I guess.  The perfect day is feeling satisfied that I've done my best at what I do.  I like productivity, so there is going to be a lot of that in my perfect day for sure.  I have days where I feel like everything ran smoothly, with love, and giggles, good food, family and good friends, and hard work.  That's my perfect day.  

10. Which would you rather, sweat moderately but constantly 24 hours a day all over your body or have a metal pin in your jaw that constantly picks up talk radio stations? 



I'll take a the radio station in my jaw.  If I can tune out six crazy kids, two of which are still babies and are subject to a lot of whining and crying, I can certainly tune out some random radio stations.  And then the occasional classical station or Dr. Laura that my jaw picked up would be great.  :) 

11. If you could get your hair to look anyway you wanted, style, color, length, etc. what would it look like? (picture?)


Oh my goodness I could name off hundreds of women who have great hair that I want.  Some that come to mind right off are:

Famous: Giselle Bundchen and Jennifer Lopez

Friends: Adrienne Hales and Carry Ryassen (they have naturally loose wavy, thick hair to dye for.)



Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

  1. I have never seen someone so happy to be scrubbing beneath their oven! I love that you love productivity. I'm going to try to be like you and love productivity too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's ridiculous. I can go a little overboard, but that's just me.

      Delete
  2. You little worker bee. So, you're supposed to clean behind appliances now? What will they think of next.

    Love the desk, so sweet, especially since it was free!

    I too feel there is not necessarily only person for you. But I do know in my case there is only one that would put up with me. Good thing I married him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I've been looking for a desk for Gwyneth for months. She has been begging. Low and Behold, it was sitting on our lawn right as you pull into our driveway after coming home from church on Sunday. I love when things like that happen.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes- doesn't it feel so good to get all that done??!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so nice. Especially the kitchen. Bookshelves are meant to get dusty but, the kitchen, not so much.

      Delete
  4. Your response to #8 just struck me as so true. And I think that people lose sight of that sometimes and let the act of putting in effort fall by the wayside.

    p.s. So glad that you got the time to get some serious cleaning done. Cathartic stuff, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:35 PM

    Wow Shauna, when you were little and you told me that you did not like chocolate I thought that they had sent me home with the wrong child, (kidding). This post tells me that you are your mothers daughter in at least some ways. I always feel like a new person when I scour my house like that.

    Luv you bunches, Mom.

    PS: That chocolate thing, I always suspected that it would be a temporary condition :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maya, my 6-year-old has the same jewelry box! Too cute.

    And I want Giselle's hair so badly. Or Jennifer Aniston's. I am totally with you on that one.

    And wait...your stove/oven comes out of the counter? How crazy! I've never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ameena, I'm sure my oven comes out because this is a rental unit and you just buy the appliances and pop them in. You probably have a really nice gas unit that's heavy and sturdy that would be a total pain to get out. But, yes, this one just slides on out-pretty nice.

      Delete
  7. Wow. That is one clean kitchen. Muy impressive! Wanna come over to my house?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are SUPER MAMA! Seriously, homeschooling your kids? You are amazing! I HATE cleaning, but there is an awesome feeling of satisfaction I get when it's all done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second Andrea - fancy a trip to London to help me clean my house please?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are my hero!! Thanks for inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks super awesome, seriously!! In a way that I am jealous. Ha ha. I would love to have time to spend a week- or more (however long it takes) scrubbing every nook and cranny to get my whole house spotless and back to new. And I have been wanting to figure out a cleaning schedule so my house feels clean all week long. Sigh. One of these days.

    But I bet you are loving your clean kitchen- way to go!! Hope you have a great weekend! (I'm still baffled you are a winter not summer girl...hmmm :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooooo!!! Your kitchen looks so good! Who took that picture of you behind the oven?

    I love productivity too! Sometimes however, I lack motivation and I really need motivation to be productive sometimes.

    Thanks for answering the tags! Love your answers!

    I LOVE your bed too! It is simply gorgeous and looks so comfy! I have thought that every time I have seen it in a picture....LOVED your family picture with you all in/on your bed...SO cute! Also, love that desk...what a nice classic design and it was such a convenient find!

    I agree with you and Julie on number 8.

    And I agree with you on the "Perfect Day." I've had LOTS of perfect days in my life and not one of them was the same, so I like your general description.

    Thanks again for answering my questions!

    ReplyDelete