Monday, January 30, 2012

Snowboarding with the Hales

Our dear friends the Hales invited us to stay with them for a couple days to go snowboarding as it finally snowed in Tahoe.  Both of our families have season passes to Squaw Valley.  We packed up and headed out.

This is the view out of their kitchen and great room in the back of their house.  They only live forty minutes from Squaw Valley, so nice.  Down there in the trees the American River runs through their property.  Last summer they had to cut out their own path down to the river.  No easy task as they had to cut through Black berry bushes and Poison Oak intertwined with each other.

Total they have about ten acres.  This is the side of their home.  They are terracing the land and prepping it for ninety fruit trees to be planted.  The first terrace will be mandarin oranges, the second terrace will be blueberries.  The top already has about a hundred strawberry plants in the ground.

They are huge fans of preparedness.  I wish I had gotten a picture of the room under their house.  There, they have about three years worth of food storage.  I've never seen anything like it.  Instead of accruing their food storage over time they opted to get it all at once, from the church cannery in Sacramento.  There they have not only a dry canning area but a wet pack area too, so they get both types of food storage.

Here is the famous cannery apple sauce made with Pink Lady apples, from their food storage.   We can't get this at our cannery, but it's really good.  Every time my kids visit the Hales they want this apple sauce.


Kalen is getting his snowboard down at about seven in the morning.  They left at 7:15am and were at the slopes by 8:00am.  Perfect.

There they are: (up front) Emma Hales, (second row -right to left) Sophia Hales, Gwyneth Klippel and Eliza Hales, (back row-left to right) Reece Klippel, Sammy Hales and Kalen Klippel.

Sophia and Gwyneth were going for the first time.  They did great and had a blast.  Gwyneth said "it's my new favorite sport!"

Adrienne has eight children.  She's an incredible person.  Both her and her husband say that if they can be half the parents their parents were, they will be happy.  You just don't hear this very often.  Adrienne and her husband have an incredible ability to motivate their children to have the desire to develop their talents.  They homeschool.  Their first three children are ranked in the USTA for tennis and they train at a boarding academy in Roseville.  Their second to oldest daughter is ranked above fifty for girls' twelves (age) in California.

They are incredible piano players and violinists.  They have two pianos, one in the great room off their kitchen and one in their family room just inside the front door.  Five of their eight children play piano now, so they definitely need two pianos.

They recently added an Organ to their ensemble of instruments.  Their oldest three wake up at 6:15am some days a week to learn organ with a woman who plays in their ward.  You might think this is weird but organ playing is a dying art, even in the church, so what a great asset to have.  They already accompany and play post-lude after church.

While the men and other children were snowboarding we stayed at home with the babies and toddlers.  We visited, baked whole wheat bread, took walks and relaxed.  Here is Adrienne grinding her whole wheat.  As soon as this guy, Seth, heard the grinder he came running in to "help."  So cute.


Her wheat grinder is awesome!!!  I've never seen one like this.  Mine is the mill, so it literally sounds like a saw mill because it basically is.  Mine is so loud it's piercing to the ears.  Hers is much quieter and it looks cuter on the counter.   She said she did a lot of research to find a good one.  Interestingly, this grinder doesn't get as hot while grinding compared to the mill.  She said there is less chance of the wheat being compromised of it's nutrients because it doesn't get so hot, like mine.

Look at that beautiful whole wheat.

There she is kneading the dough, while her youngest sons "help."

This is her youngest son, Spencer eating the dough left on the sides of the bowl.  Oh how I can relate.


This is their wood burning stove where they dehydrate their fruit.  So awesome!!!  These bananas were sweet, chewy pieces of goodness!  They were there all night.

I caught Seth cutting his own banana, he's almost five.  Old enough to use a knife, right?

The youngins' of the Klippels and Hales'.   Just playing sweetly.

For the exhausted snowboarders, dinner was her whole wheat bread, broccoli cheddar soup and a big green salad.  Very tasty.   For dessert we had homemade frozen yogurt.  They get their "yo cream" from a local distributor.  Their favorite flavors are Mounds (chocolate coconut), Vanilla and Tart.

Here are eleven of the fourteen children we have together.

The Hales are amazing, good people.  I might be tempted to be jealous of their children, or them as parents. But, no way.  I admire them so much.  It's only when you have admiration for someone that you can take it and use it to help yourself be better, make better decisions, be more efficient, whatever it is that you are striving for.  They have mentored my husband and I, they have shared their visions and their skills with regard to how they help their children be the best they can.  We have tried to follow them in so many ways.  Of course we are different, that goes without saying but we treasure their advice, their wisdom and will remember them always for their love and charity to us as friends.

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy but very fun trip. I love her wheat grinder, I've never seen one like that, very cool.

    I am glad you posted pics of their home, but is their backyard all slope? I am sure the kids love it regardless.

    You are so right about loving someone so much that jealously doesn't enter the picture, just love for what you can learn from that. You always have the best attitude Shauna. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. Their backyard does slope somewhat, but underneath the rock wall that you can barely see it flattens out and then slopes again. But, the kids mainly play in the front. The front yard is really big with a big grass lawn and a trampoline on the other side of the house, opposite of where the fruit trees are going. Plus their rode is pretty private, plenty for biking, skating, whatever. It's so fun, not to mention the fact that the house itself is 4600 sq. feet so it never feels crowded.

      I really wanted to put that picture of the wheat grinder up for you. I was curious to see if you had ever seen one like that. She found it used for $420.00! Crazy. But, we use our grinders all the time right, so...

      I really wanted to take more pictures but of course just got busy visiting. We visit them in the winter quiet a bit though so I plan on taking more pictures. Take care, Love you,

      Shauna

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Sound fun. Glad Kirk could finally hit the slopes. I love Adrienne. She is the best.
    Love you ,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the best Kerri. She's awesome. Every time I go there she has done something amazing, like putting built in shelves into her pantry all by herself. Or outfitting a dog area in her garage with fencing that continues through the garage door into the back of the house with which she had to cut through the steel door with "her" skill saw. She said Sam looked out in the garage when he heard the skill saw and yelled, "great honey, I'll just be here in the house watching the kids!" I was cracking up. She's like a one hit wonder, except with way more hits than one. Love you, can't wait for you to come in Feb. Love, love, love you,

      Shauna

      Delete
  3. I remember Adrienne!! so she's up to 8 kids now? wow! what a fun weekend you guys had. Trent is dying to learn how to snowboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, you remind me of Adrienne in that you talked about what an amazing job your mom did too. Right? You seem to look after your mom's example, which I think is so great. Miss you,

      Shauna

      PS. That run sounds so fun, but I need to start saving now if it's $35.00 a person! Yikes. But, it's really different with the colors and all. Planning your entire vacation around that run, do you love running that much? I say you should do it. :)

      Delete
    2. I was so excited about the colors I didn't see the $35. new plan. if I still lived there, we'd ditch the kids and it'd be just you and me! our summer plans aren't working out to fit that in. My brother Matt, in Estonia is coming in during July so we'll probably head down to Idaho then to make sure we get to see him. but I did find another awesome race I'm doing with Ryan. just signed up today. Mud racing! not as cool as color racing, but still fun. can you tell I have an itch to run a race? any race?? :)

      Delete
  4. Great post, they sound like a top notch family! I'm glad you had such a great time with them- talk about talent in every area!! Freshly baked homemade bread...yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are great Laura. I bet you know some types like them too, if not in your own family. Hope you're feeling great, take care,

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be like the Hales! They are WISE and HARDWORKING and they seem to know how to play too! What a fun trip you guys had! I'm glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe someday you will, who knows it's a small world! You are right, they are wise and hardworking. They have had other couples ask if they can come into their home and observe them, their living style, their parenting, etc. Can you believe that? Adrienne has never been too comfortable with this because she isn't sure that people can really catch the vision that they are trying to make come to fruition for their family in a day or two of someone observing her family. She said that when you have success with your children in terms of behavior, talents, etc., it's a very steady process, with "ebbs and flows."

    Becky, they are so inspiring. I love when they tell stories about their own parents. Adrienne said every day she would come home from school, to her mom sitting on the "sofa" reading her scriptures, with a tissue and weepy eyed! Amazing, huh? Her mom was wise to read during that time knowing that her children would always see her reading, to give her children that example. Her mom is a scriptorian. Adrienne has mentioned that she wishes she were more like her mom in this area. Adrienne's mom has written several books about the sciptures, one in particular that was well received but not sure what it is called. But her moms last name is Alder. I need to remember her first name. Alright, I could go on and on-such neat people. Take care,

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly! Mom of the year! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is amazing. But, all of us moms are amazing in one way or another right? :) Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a totally perfect time. My girlfriends an I went to the beach last spring break and we rented four rooms side by side. The children had so much fun going from one room to another. 4 year olds were on one room while 8 year olds in another and 12 years old in another. It was a total blast '

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound like a blast! I would love to do something like this. Thanks for sharing! Take care,

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete