My kids have grapefruit almost every morning for breakfast. I can't think of anything better because it's so good for you and so good to the taste. If I let Shane he will have three grapefruit at a time. I purchase the big bags of Grapefruit at Costco, it comes with about ten.
This last week I did my shopping on Friday. By Sunday we were out of Grapefruit! So I happened to be by Costco and "ran" in for another bag of this stuff. The checker said it's the smallest order she'd ever done. Funny, because she probably fills her biggest orders thanks to me as I officially need two carts when going to Costco, which means bringing Kalen or Gwyneth to push the other cart.

Blogging makes me want to become a photographer. I love the way these first two pictures came out. Grapefruit makes for some great art. I think I could hang these pictures in my kitchen. This last week I did my shopping on Friday. By Sunday we were out of Grapefruit! So I happened to be by Costco and "ran" in for another bag of this stuff. The checker said it's the smallest order she'd ever done. Funny, because she probably fills her biggest orders thanks to me as I officially need two carts when going to Costco, which means bringing Kalen or Gwyneth to push the other cart.
These pictures are done at a different time of day with a different "F" stop and with the kitchen light on. I don't like them as much, but they demonstrate something I want to note.
I've created a bit of a habit, not necessarily bad but time consuming. Since my first children were little I've cut the grapefruit for them. But, not the easy way by cutting the skin off and then cutting up the fruit. I cut the fruit in half, and then with a Grapefruit knife cut each individual section of the fruit, put it into one of these darling ramekins with a toothpick.
I tried serving the fruit differently once, put it into a big bowl with spoons and they all looked at me like I was serving them raw fish. So every morning I spend about twenty minutes just preparing Grapefruit.....
This brings me to an actual bad habit that drives me nutty, but not my bad habit. This is not just a random picture of cereal.
I mentioned in one of my posts that I only allow my children to have cereal two days out of the seven. Why? Well, because they always waste their milk!!!! Luckily I have awesome friends who have experienced the same naughtiness with their kids and they advised me to strain the milk, so here I am below.
Picture all my six kids standing in front of the camera (yes even baby Summer because I know she'll be a milk waster too) saying, "STOP WASTING YOUR MILK.....
YOU NAUGHTY KIDS HAVE BEEN TOLD OVER AND OVER
NOT TO WASTE YOUR MILK!!!!!!!"
Do you see how my eyes are bulging out of my head, you'd think this would scare the dickens out of them to stop but I guess I am not that scary....because I'm still straining milk for Pete's Sake......








I love grapefruit, wish I lived in California so I could get it anytime I want. The produce up here is more often than not AWFUL! And it's hit and miss. One week we got the most delicious juicy peaches. The next time we went shopping about 2 weeks later we got A LOT more and they were NASTY!
ReplyDeleteI'm done...my husband just said why are you writing a novel again? I had more to say...but this will suffice.
No! I have one more question...what the heck do you do with the strained milk?!?!
Becky, I make them use that milk in their next bowl of cereal!!!!!!!! Hahahaha
ReplyDeleteYou can say the more that you had when he's not looking......heehee :)
Love ya,
Shauna
Who are your awesome friends with the naughty kids? I did a post on reusing milk earlier this year, was it me? (couldn't be since my kids are angels) Or are there other awesome people reusing milk, if so AWESOME!!! I thought I was the only one but if there are others I am so glad. I don't know what my freaky issue is but I cannot waste food. My kids rarely eat cold cereal, but if they do I pour the milk. I put in just enough. I think my kids are sick of me saying "You can always put in more but if you put in too much it gets wasted". Words to live by I tell you.
ReplyDeleteI remember being at your house Sunday morning last time I was visiting you and as we're out the door I see a sea of cereal bowls with half eaten cereal and lots of milk. I almost had a heart attack. So glad that milk won't be wasted anymore.
You are also awesome for preparing the grapefruits that way, so time consuming. I just cut off the rind and then cut the grapefruit up all in chunks, no waste =)!! Plus they get all the fiber from the entire fruit.
Can't wait to get your cute card!
Yes, Marie, it would be better if I could prepare the grapefruit that way. But, apparently I have started something that won't be so easily broken...darn habits.
ReplyDeleteYes, you are the awesome friend. And Thira, because she was here that Sunday morning of the girls trip and saw that "sea of cereal bowls" too. She said she reuses it too, the milk that is.
Hopefully, you will get my card tomorrow and your presents!!!!! Maybe Saturday for your presents.
I made one of the best Lentil soups tonight, I'm going to blog it, it was so good. Love you always,
Shauna
PS. It's not a freaky issue Marie. I cringe too. Milk is so blasted expensive especially organic which I often buy. And the cereal too. It's expensive too. Luckily, they only eat it a couple times a week, or else I would be saving that nasty soggy cereal too and figuring out how to incorporate into baked goods or something.....
ReplyDeleteLove you.
OK, I've seen your mad faceand it scares me, too., That's not it. LOL
ReplyDeleteI am trying to control my gag reflex on this one. The thought of used milk kind of makes me feel sick.
ReplyDeleteHi Sandy, sorry to have grossed you out. It doesn't even phase me. But, I promise when you come to visit for say..milk and cookies, I will serve you only the freshest of milk...
ReplyDeleteLove,
Shauna
Kerri,
ReplyDeleteyou're right. Kalen was cracking up laughing when he saw these pictures and said something like, "if that's what you really looked like when you were mad at us...." Pretty funny pictures though.