Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Temple and Fentons Ice Cream at Christmas Time!!!

Here we are another year and another moment to celebrate one of our favorite Christmas traditions.  Kirk and I love the temple and we want our children to love it also.  What better time to take them than at Christmas time?  We always go to Fentons in Oakland before visiting the temple.  Here's a look at what was had.....

Here is the line up, all six together about to have way too much ice cream.


Shane loves Strawberry ice cream with a few sprinkles....pretty good.


Georgia always gets bubble gum, her four year old self cannot resist this flavor.  I remember when I couldn't either.

Kirk got some Brownie Sundae and it was as big as their heads put together.


This is mine.  It's called Cookies Creation.  It has a big homemade baked  Chocolate Chip Cookie at the bottom with a scoop of Vanilla, Cookies and Cream, Caramel and on and on.  I usually never order anything like this.  But, before coming I prepared a nice Salmon dinner so I felt well fed and deserving of this.

Needless to say I felt sick afterwards and I'm not a kid anymore.  Next time I will stick to my scoop of ice cream with nuts.




Gwyneth got a Banana Split.   She's growing out of the temptation for Bubble Gum flavor....


Tumsy got a little bit.  She loved it, of course.


Kalen is definitely growing up as he got a chocolate milk shake.  Nice choice.


The after math.  It's always a fun time.


The beautiful Oakland California Temple...

Inside the visitor's center the children love watching the little clips.

Mesmerized...

Kirk is admiring, or trying to admire the Saviors ministry while Tums tries to get her mommy.

Shane is my only child that has been attached to a "Banky."  He needs it most places we go.  He looks like Linus from Snoopy.  So cute though...

This is a precious moment.  Kirk and Reece talking and admiring the Christ below.

Our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ.


They had a beautiful star projected onto the side of the building.

This is the best place to come during Christmas time.  The spirit is sweet and accommodating, strong and touching, if I had to describe it.  Everyone is happy here, everyone is smiling and kind.

Once you start talking to people walking around on the temple grounds you realize many are not LDS (Mormon).  As one man put it, "we live right up there across the street. We can see the temple from our house and my son calls it the castle, so I bring him here often because it has such a great feeling.")  Many people recognize the special spirit that can be felt here LDS or not.  

The temple has a special spirit that can be felt by all.  We believe this is a sacred place to visit and we try to visit it with the utmost reverence.  I'm so grateful we have a temple so close to attend as a married couple but also to have our children visit and gain a greater appreciation for it as well.

Another great visit to the temple at Christmas time, 2011.  Merry Christmas.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. That looks so fun! What a great tradition!

    Nathan said, "I don't know about Christmas lights on palm trees!?!" I said, "Hey that's what I grew up with..it's awesome!"

    The Oakland temple is a special place for our family (Algers) All but me and Peter were married there. And that was of course the temple of my youth...I love it! I've only done one session there...and I've witnessed a sealing there. The temple is so special, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna I love that no matter what you are writing about your testimony always shines through. You are such a great example to me and I plan on taking the kids to the San Diego Temple to see the lights this week.

    I wish I were there to share that ice cream with you. I love that you live life to the fullest. Be it kids, play, friendship, ice cream, you go full force and I love you so much for it.

    The picture with Shane and his blanket is beyond precious!!!!!!! Way beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Shauna! I'm glad you stopped by my blog. It's always fun to connect with people through blogging... especially since I'm not a Facebooker.
    What a great family tradition! I loved seeing the looks on your kids' faces. I agree with all that you said about the temple, the feelings there and how grateful we are for our Savior and Redeemer.
    And I still haven't grown out of the bubble gum ice cream phase. Chocolate is my first love but I'll always keep bubble gum or cotton candy in my back pocket. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great family evening! Very sweet. Thanks for stopping by my blog last week! Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful family. I was so happy to have my daughter in law to see this temple that I was married in 38 years ago and to witness the sealing of my nephew on Dec. 21. We were there in the daylight though and missed out on the experience of the Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete