It's that time again. The time that we set aside for our children ages 5 and up to be able to meet with Kirk and I alone, they pick their favorite treat and get to stay up "all night" with mom and dad. I love this time so much. When we are with any of our children alone, they are such different people, I love this experience. This time Kalen's meeting was first.

In case it isn't clear Kalen is in this picture, he's the background to his sister Summer. Kalen is getting big. He's right at that point where in just the blink of an eye he will be taller than me, and much, much, bigger. Our meetings with Kalen are always entertaining. He's very lighthearted and funny. He loves to laugh and he loooooooves to talk about his younger brothers and sisters. That's why I chose this picture of him and Summer. He loves her so much, but she doesn't always love everyone else so much, she's a little difficult. But he never gives up on her. Everyday when she wakes up I hear him say, "Summer can I give you a kiss?" And she replies, "later." He cracks up laughing every time.
This time around in Kalen's meeting, besides talking about how cute his youngest brothers and sisters are, we talked about school and goals that are trying to be accomplished. Kalen is about a year away from his Eagle Scout Award. We had to help him get organized, all of his blue cards, badges, council meetings, etc. put into order so he could see more clearly where he's at. He's not too far. I'm so grateful for a son that is such a good example of motivation and hard work for his younger brothers and sisters.
Some other big changes for Kalen are that his homeschooling has changed. He's in seventh grade and is taking Pre-Algebra from BYU independent studies. It's a great program. He's also taking a writing course called write@home where he has a real time writing coach that helps him revise his papers and gives him a grade. This has been great timing as he is ready for these challenges. So far he is doing great.
I chose to do an interview with Kalen this time around, these are his own words.
1. What's the best thing about being you?
I know I can always work hard.
2. What's great about being part of your family?
That I have a mom who stays home, she home schools us and I have so many siblings.
3. Your favorite Book?
Candy Shop Wars
4. You in three words.
Hardworking, Happy and Serving
5. Favorite Memory?
Going to Zion's Camp for the first time. It was so great.
6. Favorite Quote?
Be True to the Faith
7. Proudest Achievement?
Making MVP for my swim team and taking 3rd place in the 5k run.
8. What's your favorite thing that your mom makes?
Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana smoothies.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A Pediatrician
10. What do you know for sure?
That Christ is my Savior
11. What do you look forward to?
Serving my mission
12. What do you believe in?
Swimming, I believe I can be great at it.
13. Your mom in one word.
Organized
14. Your dad in one word.
Athletic
15. Favorite saying?
"I'm quick, you're silver." (He swims year round for Quicksilver.)
16. Who is your best friend?
Joe Stepan
17. What do you love about Joe?
That we love to joke around, but when it's time to get serious, he gets right down to business.
18. Who do you admire?
My Grandpa Rick
My husband and I are blessed to have Kalen as a son, and an example in our lives. Kalen is not perfect. But, he listens to us, he takes heed to our council and tries hard to be the best boy that he can be. He's come a long way. He reminds me a lot of his younger sister Summer, as a younger boy he was also a bit difficult. I suppose that's also why I love the picture above. We love Kalen so much. We love our meetings together, this tradition we've kept going. It's clear that he's happy, thriving and that he loves being a part of his family. I can't think of anything better.
His latest piece, dedicated to his dad. His dad loves this song... :)
In case it isn't clear Kalen is in this picture, he's the background to his sister Summer. Kalen is getting big. He's right at that point where in just the blink of an eye he will be taller than me, and much, much, bigger. Our meetings with Kalen are always entertaining. He's very lighthearted and funny. He loves to laugh and he loooooooves to talk about his younger brothers and sisters. That's why I chose this picture of him and Summer. He loves her so much, but she doesn't always love everyone else so much, she's a little difficult. But he never gives up on her. Everyday when she wakes up I hear him say, "Summer can I give you a kiss?" And she replies, "later." He cracks up laughing every time.
This time around in Kalen's meeting, besides talking about how cute his youngest brothers and sisters are, we talked about school and goals that are trying to be accomplished. Kalen is about a year away from his Eagle Scout Award. We had to help him get organized, all of his blue cards, badges, council meetings, etc. put into order so he could see more clearly where he's at. He's not too far. I'm so grateful for a son that is such a good example of motivation and hard work for his younger brothers and sisters.
Some other big changes for Kalen are that his homeschooling has changed. He's in seventh grade and is taking Pre-Algebra from BYU independent studies. It's a great program. He's also taking a writing course called write@home where he has a real time writing coach that helps him revise his papers and gives him a grade. This has been great timing as he is ready for these challenges. So far he is doing great.
I chose to do an interview with Kalen this time around, these are his own words.
1. What's the best thing about being you?
I know I can always work hard.
2. What's great about being part of your family?
That I have a mom who stays home, she home schools us and I have so many siblings.
3. Your favorite Book?
Candy Shop Wars
4. You in three words.
Hardworking, Happy and Serving
5. Favorite Memory?
Going to Zion's Camp for the first time. It was so great.
6. Favorite Quote?
Be True to the Faith
7. Proudest Achievement?
Making MVP for my swim team and taking 3rd place in the 5k run.
8. What's your favorite thing that your mom makes?
Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana smoothies.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A Pediatrician
10. What do you know for sure?
That Christ is my Savior
11. What do you look forward to?
Serving my mission
12. What do you believe in?
Swimming, I believe I can be great at it.
13. Your mom in one word.
Organized
14. Your dad in one word.
Athletic
15. Favorite saying?
"I'm quick, you're silver." (He swims year round for Quicksilver.)
16. Who is your best friend?
Joe Stepan
17. What do you love about Joe?
That we love to joke around, but when it's time to get serious, he gets right down to business.
18. Who do you admire?
My Grandpa Rick
My husband and I are blessed to have Kalen as a son, and an example in our lives. Kalen is not perfect. But, he listens to us, he takes heed to our council and tries hard to be the best boy that he can be. He's come a long way. He reminds me a lot of his younger sister Summer, as a younger boy he was also a bit difficult. I suppose that's also why I love the picture above. We love Kalen so much. We love our meetings together, this tradition we've kept going. It's clear that he's happy, thriving and that he loves being a part of his family. I can't think of anything better.
His latest piece, dedicated to his dad. His dad loves this song... :)

So happy you have the opportunity to take time and celebrate each child individually. We try to pull the children away individually for dates throughout the year, but will no goal in mind than just to listen to them. Harris is close to finishing his eagle. He just needs to find the paperwork for his fitness and decide on a project.
ReplyDeleteawwww. Kalen is getting so big! one year away from his eagle? that's amazing. Emily loves Candy shop wars too!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous idea!!! I love that you spend an all night "date" with your kiddos!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteI love that idea - spending a whole evening alone with his parents. Kalen is a lovely boy inside and out. He is lucky to have you and you're lucky to have him.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend Shauna,
Axx
I love this idea and agree that kids are different one on one. I have had a lot of one on one time with Bennett lately with C being in school everyday and his chattyness surprises me so much! Kalen sounds like a wonderful young man, you must be very proud.
ReplyDeleteThis made my night! I was telling my husband that you do this just the other day and we were commenting on how wonderful of an idea it is! Love this meeting- he is truly a darling boy! Soon to be man:) What awesome piano skills that kid has! Impressive.
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing and I love this idea. Very special.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, this is amazing! You have totally inspired me to do this with our kids. I love that he is so sweet to summer! Someday she'll let him give her a kiss :)
ReplyDeleteShauna, I just love that you shared that video with us! Also, I was thinking about this whole meeting-situation today on our run and I think what is so striking in all of this is how much respect you show your children in daily life, but especially with these gatherings. I think that is incredibly rare these days and quite honestly, it's a beautiful example for all of us.
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Kat
loved reading this and getting to know you better!!
ReplyDeleteThis so awesome!
ReplyDeleteToo cool Shauna. I never got to do anything like that with my parents, and I was an only child. Thinking of you!
ReplyDeletethat's so great that you reserve time for your kids alone. i bet they absolutely love it. you're such a good mom! i love kalen's answer to #2. :)
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to do one-on-ones with my children (when I finally have some). I think it is so important to make your children feel special. I can't believe he is only a year away from his eagle. How old is he again? Both my brothers procrastinated on theirs and received them right before they turned 18 (it drove my mother crazy that they took so long). You are such an incredible mother Shauna. Your children are so lucky!!
ReplyDelete