Saturday, December 08, 2012

Tis the Season!!

It's a sixties Christmas!  Can you tell by looking at my pictures?  There is this cool setting in Picasa called "1960's."  It's so fun. 

We are hustling and bustling, busy as ever in this holiday season.  We are about through with shopping, we have service projects lined up, and we are having fun with our Christmas family traditions. 
 
Every year the children wrap all of our Christmas books, and then each take a turn every night opening one.  When we are five days from Christmas we start reading the Christmas story from the Bible. 

We gave our children a challenge to pray for service opportunities this year.  My daughter Gwyneth decided to send a church (ward) wide email and advertise free babysitting to the first five families that emailed back.  She thought it would be nice for the moms to be able to shop without babies and toddlers or maybe couples could go on a "Christmas" date.  We are booked all of next week to babysit!!!!! 

The boys decided to serve the "workers" in our community.  They are making goody bags for our post man, the garbage men and the Liberians who see us aaaaall the time and know us very well.
 
Presents!!!!  Here is my gift from my best friend Marie from "Feeding Five."  I think she waits until Christmas Day to open my present to her, but I don't wait.  I can't, it's too hard..... :)  My favorite is the necklace and earrings.  I looooove the earrings.  And she told me I always make the "nice" list.  I love, love, love her always.
 
 We are busy and grateful for this time of year.  For the added measure of happiness and service we feel.  It is the most wonderful time of year!!!  Merry Christmas Time!!!!

8 comments:

  1. I love this entire post...you embody what the Christmas season is all about. Truly amazing. I need some pointers my friend!

    Maya made a similar snow globe...I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely on the "Nice" list. :) And I love that snow globe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great friend! I haven't seen some of those books! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked my gift. I really think the jewelery is 'so Shauna' the shabby chic colors just reminded me of you. And of course I am a sucker for anything kitchen related, I thought that little ornament was so cute. I didn't mean for this to be a tradition but every year after Christmas the girls and I go to JoAnne's and we each pick out 1 (or 2 or 3) marked down Christmas decorations. I love pulling them out every year and reminiscing with Emry & Lila, it's such a girl thing, I doubt Ethan would be interested.

    Gwyneth is an angel, what a sweat gift to give, I should have Emry do the same. We all love you guys so much. Have a fabulous week. It's almost time to make caramel corn..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. SWEET, sweet gift! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this post. The babysitting idea is golden and I am sure those 5 lucky families are very grateful for Gwyneth's gift. The gift bags are a fantastic idea as well. I think I will have to borrow that one, I know my kids will enjoy putting them together.

    I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts just make me smile so big! I have a happy heart!! Your family is heaven-sent, for sure. What a wonderful way to incorporate "GIVING" in this beautiful season...I know you are so proud of your sweet kids. And I adore the idea of opening the Christmas books! I think I just might try that next year!! And we are working on making some Christmasy surprises for the "workers" that help us daily!

    You are an inspiration to me as a mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shauna-

    I think it's wonderful that you two encouraged your children to think of personal ways (that meant something to them!) to serve others. Also, I just loved what they chose to do!

    On that note, I love your book-wrapping idea 11/10 and will be documenting it on The List Of Things I Have Learned From You along with how to potty train my someday child and how to look like a model in a hospital gown.

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete