The other day I was thinking about how much I love my life. We are busy, happy, productive and reaching our goals. This last week we took our oldest son Kalen to the Temple. We've been to the temple many times to look and walk around.
At twelve years of age the youth can actually go into certain parts of the temple. We had a wonderful experience. And we love Kalen for his devotion to the gospel. He has been passing the sacrament in church now since August. He gets up every Sunday morning and goes to church with his grandparents so he can be to church a half hour early to prepare the sacrament He takes the priesthood very seriously and we are thankful for his example.
My older baby Summer who is just over a year and a half is potty training. No, not because I want her to, because she wants to. I've noticed when people are asked to describe their children or child they often say, "they're independent." So, know that when I say Summer is "independent" it's really very understated because she's on the fast track in this life and could probably move out pretty soon, especially since she's almost potty trained....no really she won't stop taking off her diaper and in my mind that means "you're going on the potty." So, my trick to getting this milestone started is to put their feet in warm water...it does the trick every time and this time was no different. :)
I was recently thinking about how much I enjoy home schooling my children. I love the dynamic in my home. And I love being a teacher to the younger children, these younger grades are so much fun. Here Reece is getting ready for a spelling test.
These little projects are called "Lap Books." This is what I use to teach the younger children science. Each section comes with the information you teach and suggestions for more in depth reading. This week we learned about different types of farms. All of my kids are doing biological sciences this year. The focus is plants and animals for now and next semester it will be on the human body. The kids really enjoy putting these together.
They have fallen in love with their trampoline. Here they are sleeping on the trampoline. We told them if they weren't quiet someone would call the police (someone in the neighborhood that is), so BE QUIET. They snuggled up and went right to sleep. Never mind by three in the morning they were all four back in their own beds. I ran into one them while up for a midnight feeding with the baby. These are the times they are going to look back on with such fondness.
Summer continues to "love" Will. He's going to be held, kissed and fed by her whether he likes it or not.
Tonight Kalen had some of his friends over for a movie night/Halloween party. On the left is Joe Stepan and my son Kalen now. To the right they are posing in front of their pre-school on Halloween...seven years ago! They have been best friends for so long. It melts my heart and I hope they never lose track of each other. Joe is like no other-he's the best. My children have been so blessed with the friends in their lives.


Shauna, your line about if the diaper is off then you're going on the potty just absolutely cracked me up! But if Baby Girl is ready to take that show on the road, power to her!
ReplyDeleteSomeday when we have children I am going to need to know basically all of your parenting secrets.
I hope that this is okay with you.
XO
wish I could see Kalen passing the sacrament. wow! and I did'n't even recognize Joe Stepan. They've all grown so much.
ReplyDeleteDon't you jut love all these moments. Made me realize that we haven't been to the temple with our son. He has been many times, but not with us. Can't believe at 1 1/2 potty trained. Addy is no where close to being potty trained. She hasn't even figured out how to feed herself with a spoon yet. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteYou are one busy momma! Love all the productivity, & what a great idea to take Kalen to the temple. I know it's a sacrifice to leave all the little ones at home for that long, great job, Glenn & I should definitely take Emry next month.
ReplyDeleteOh Kalen is so cute in that little pic, how fun that they are still such great friends, love it.
And little Miss Independent Summer, what a doll, & just what you need, another mom around the house :)
I am going to try and pry one of those caramel apples off the screen now, love you.
I love all the special Halloween touches. I'm so happy baby boy is home. YAY
ReplyDeleteBeautiful glimpses of your VERY blessed and beautiful life!! I love reading about the ins & outs of your big family...it amazes me how much you all are SO productive...always doing lovely things. :D And Princess Bride and caramel apples? That just might be my favorite kind of night. Happy almost Halloween, sweet friend!!
ReplyDeletep.s. the pictures of sweet Summer with baby Will make me melt!!
Oh my goodness I have loved The Princess Bride for years, so nice to see a younger generation enjoying it as well.
ReplyDelete