I finally made it to my best friend Marie's house. Finally. I left all of my six, sweet children with their daddy and boarded an airplane to be gone for four solid days. We had so much fun. Doing what? Living everyday life, eating, preparing church lessons and running errands together. What more do best friends want to do together? Oh I know...go to frozen yogurt every night we're together to solve the world's problems or just ours...not that we really have any... :)
This is, from the left, Marie, Jeanette (Marie's sister), and me.
This is, from the left, Marie, Jeanette (Marie's sister), and me.
Marie was on it and started making food right away, as she does it so well. Salad was our first dinner, of course.
We walked the kids to school. This is the loveliest place to live! It's so clean, so fresh, so open, so lush. I love it!
Through the years Marie and I have spent a lot of time together whether it be on girls' trips, staying at each others' houses or just quick visits. My favorite has been to spend this time with her and her family. I love seeing her in her element. She is the best mom. She's so devoted to her children, so involved and fun. And she's really good about letting things roll...a favorite saying in their house is "NBD", "no big deal." I told her I was going to come home with more of that attitude. I just love her. I learn so much from her.
Through the years Marie and I have spent a lot of time together whether it be on girls' trips, staying at each others' houses or just quick visits. My favorite has been to spend this time with her and her family. I love seeing her in her element. She is the best mom. She's so devoted to her children, so involved and fun. And she's really good about letting things roll...a favorite saying in their house is "NBD", "no big deal." I told her I was going to come home with more of that attitude. I just love her. I learn so much from her.
After walking the kiddos to school we went to do some shopping and ate lunch at Chipotle. Do you notice that whenever Marie is about to eat she gets really happy. :) :) :) :) :)
Saturdays breakfast menu...cornmeal waffles with all of the fixings: toasted coconut, greek yogurt, nuts, fruit, and the best homemade syrup ever!!!!!!! Coconut, buttermilk syrup...it tops the list as divine.
This is Marie's mom Lona. She's a saint, tender hearted, sweet and wonderful. I love this picture of her.
One afternoon we took the two girls, Emry and Lila to perform with their singing group at a senior assisted living facility. It was the most precious place ever! They had their own ice cream parlor!!! I could just see these folks taking each other out on dates to this cute little parlor.
The kids were so cute, but especially Emry and Lila of course. Emry is outgoing, and comfortable, she has a great presence about her, and Lila is like a little butterfly fluttering around wherever she is. It's the most precious thing. Notice the picture in the bottom right corner of Emry looking to Lila as they talk with this sweet lady. Precious.
The kids were so cute, but especially Emry and Lila of course. Emry is outgoing, and comfortable, she has a great presence about her, and Lila is like a little butterfly fluttering around wherever she is. It's the most precious thing. Notice the picture in the bottom right corner of Emry looking to Lila as they talk with this sweet lady. Precious.
Marie is preparing the Sunday meal's dessert ahead of time. A gourmet rice crispy treat. It has peanut butter, butter scotch and a chocolate finish. So good.
Sunday's dinner company. Glenn and Marie are great. They open their house to friends and family on a regular basis. It's just who they are. And if anyone knows Glenn, they know that he really comes alive when "people" are around. I had so much fun getting to know their other friends. The more the merrier, really.
Would you believe that Sunday's meal were a variety of salads? Bet you couldn't be more surprised as you've noticed by now that our favorite food is salad. She did a few salads: a Thai Crunch Salad and a Mexican Caesar Salad. She also made this fresh, cheesy braid bread. I wanted to eat the whole thing but I got a hold of myself.
Our last goodbye. My visit was wonderful, relaxing, reflective and happy. Marie is a precious gem of a friend to me. I loved watching her be a mother, to see her in her routine. Her home is happy, and welcoming. I want to speak from my heart...
Marie, I look up to. There's something about her that is amazing. Something that you want for yourself. She's changed from when I met her eleven years ago. She's grown, she's realized things, and I just want to learn everything I can from her because there is so much she has to offer-she sparkles because of it. I love her always. xoxoxoxoxo
Marie, I look up to. There's something about her that is amazing. Something that you want for yourself. She's changed from when I met her eleven years ago. She's grown, she's realized things, and I just want to learn everything I can from her because there is so much she has to offer-she sparkles because of it. I love her always. xoxoxoxoxo

I want to hang out with your bestie! Check out that food. Yum! So glad you had such a blast.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness gracious it's too much, so much kindness & love. You are the sweetest, I love your words, you know I am obsessed with you right back:)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe your pictures turned out so well. I thought for sure you would get my messy kitchen with all the dirty dishes spread out everywhere, way to crop all that out.
What cute pictures of the kids at the retirement home. Love seeing all of these pics. You are the truest bluest friend and I look forward to a lifetime of fun & friendship together.
There is nothing better than girl time. It's so good for the soul and look at all of that delicious food!!!!
ReplyDeleteyes, we'd love to see your kids!! how fun for them to do a road trip this summer. I think we are about 3 hours from Portland. and we are leaving Friday, August 3 for our annual roadtrip to Utah. So excited!! and happy mother's day to you too!
ReplyDelete1. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we need (NEED!) the Mexican Caesar Salad Recipe.
ReplyDelete2. What a sweet trip. It looks like you two had an amazing time just enjoying one another's company and taking it all in. There is nothing more perfect than that.
Happy Mother's Day, friend!
Yes you do! I didn't follow a recipe, it's just romaine, black beans, fresh off the cob corn, tomatoes, bell peppers (yellow, red & orange), queso fresca, tortilla strips (not homemade, they just sell them at any store by the croutons, new find for me), pepitas and a cilantro creamy dressing from Fresh & Easy, served with BBQ chicken.
DeleteEverything looks and sounds divine. Homemade waffles? Bread? Salads? I'm so impressed and envious. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are lucky to have each other...and really, you could easily be sisters! Next time feel free to extend me an invite...I'd happily drive down to join you for Chipotle and some conversation!
PS: I'm going to try to use NBD more often. It's not going to be easy but I'm going to try.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful trip! It sounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteAw, I am so glad you two got to visit! Visits with good friends is pretty much the best thing ever! Post more photos of your growing belly soon please!!!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have such a special friend! You seem to have a lot in common.
ReplyDeleteOh my, I got behind! You are having a BOY! SO exciting. I can't believe the pattern continues! So cool!
You look AMAZING at 20 weeks!
You all look beautiful and I can see that it was a great time spent! :-)
ReplyDelete'NBD'... love it! Going to start using that more often!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you and your dear friend really had a wonderful time! Best friends are so important in life...I can see that you two mean lots to each other.
ReplyDeleteLove her NBD theory...I think I'll try thinking that way, too! :D
p.s. I meant to say in my last comment...I LOVE the new blog look!! So fresh and pretty!!