Thursday, May 24, 2012

Solar Eclipse 2012


On Sunday May 20th, 2012 there was a total eclipse of the sun.  Of course my dear friend and homeschool comrad, Amber VanTuyl set this event up at the park so all could gaze at the extravaganza.  Which it really was.  For science our children just got through a unit on the Solar System, so a big thanks to our wonderful   Solar System for providing this hands on homeschooling science moment, the timing could not have been better.  :)  I was fascinated, completely.

 
A Solar Eclipse is different from a Lunar Eclipse.  This time the moon passed between the earth and the sun thereby blocking most of the suns light, which then gave the observer the reality that the moon is much smaller than the sun.  Thus, the sun looked like a ring or an annulus.

 
My husband is such a dork, he's very funny, ya know, putting some action with the pictures below.  When we were dating and first married whenever we would say, "you're such a dork" that really meant we were truly in love, head over heals for each other.  So that's what I'm really saying here.... :)
 
Amber was able to order these glasses on line somewhere.  They allowed you to look at the sun and view each moment completely if you so chose.
 
The girls...Mesmorized...Totally...
 
Memorized with licorice...even better.
 
Totally speechless, it's a wonder...Now if you missed out on this one don't worry you can witness the next one in 2024 on the Western side of the US.  If you happen to be on the East Coast in 2016, why, you can catch one that much sooner!
 
The very serious folk.  Really when you experience the planets and stars shifting and moving within their own realm it's thought provoking at how marvelous and vast our Solar System is.  And compared to others it really isn't that huge, so just one more thing to contemplate.
 
To end the unit on the planets we will be taking the kids to the Lick Observatory, located on Mount Hamilton way up in the "sky."  It's pretty far up there.  There the kids can learn and contemplate things like the fact that all of the planets can be rolled up in one to fit into Jupiter or the fact that 1400 of our earths could fit into Jupiter.
Or that it takes Mercury 88 earth days to orbit the Sun, because as it travels it spins so slowly that each day on Mercury is equal to about 59 earth days; meaning there are fewer than two days in one Mercury year.  Wrap your head around that one..... and don't get me started on Black Holes... As you can see I had a very fun time doing our unit on space...and the kids did too.    :)
 
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Nerds. I mean this is totally awesome! I didn't get the memo. I read about it on a few blogs and thought, yup, I was probably baking cookies or sweeping for the millionth time or snuggling with Brutus. I always miss out on stuff. Like when all of a sudden everyone had a computer, cell phone, email and a life. Must. Catch. Up. It's on my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're hilarious. I think your pretty caught up. Don't concern yourself with the cellphone, all I use it for is to read my scriptures!! Otherwise it's more of a hassle. I'm totally sick today with the stomach flu, maybe like you had. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing a post at this time. The kids are with mom in law. I have to go lay down now, this is all I can take. I feel like I'm going to pass out. Love,

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is such a cool activity. Glad you were able to see the eclipse. I saw an eclipse of the moon once. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and the kids really did have a great time. Take care,

      Shauna

      Delete
  4. I was totally bummed that we couldn't witness the solar eclipse because we live in the east, but it's nice to hear that we can possibly witness it in 2016...if we're still here...which we probably won't be. hmmm... Well, it looks like you guys had fun and made the most of the rare event. So nice that it coincided with your solar system unit. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I loved looking at the pictures of the group staring at the sun. It's rare that you can catch intensity/awe, but I can really feel it here! What a wonderful coincidence with your science unit - I still remember when I saw my first eclipse in 1st grade. I know that the kids will remember this one, too!

    We had cloudy skies, so a few areas of the state were able to catch a partial eclipse, but not all.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your whole family was able to check out this once-in-a-lifetime event...together. So amazing that you teach them so much Marie, and firsthand. I love that.

    I tried to see it but was completely ill-prepared and thus gave up so I didn't go blind. The pictures of it were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:16 PM

    I am glad you could see this one, and what perfect timing. We were too far south to see this one, although I have seen one in the past.
    I hope you are feeling better.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. That eclipse was Pretty Cool. Red vines are my favorite so basically you could adopt me and I would fit right in with the rest of your daughters. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, how cool - and you all LOOK very cool with those glasses on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an AMAZING thing to witness! The photos are beautiful! I especially love the ones of the kids...they look amazed, for sure. :)

    I hope that I can catch that East Coast eclipse when it rolls around...fingers crossed!

    Hope you are feeling fantastic my friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete