This is my baby girl who turned 3 on January 18th. What to say? She's precious. She's my third daughter, but my sixth child. As a baby she was mostly easy, mild mannered and for the most part quiet. But, that all changed one day shortly after she turned a year old. She became what I would describe as the most willful, stubborn, and independent toddler that may have walked the face of this earth.
I know...everyone thinks their children are willful and independent. Summer takes those terms to the tenth level. Just look at her precious face. How can it be, you ask? Oh, but she is. As I'm reflecting on raising her so far, I want to say that I love the mother I've been to Summer. She's given me some of the meanest fits, tantrums, etc, that I've seen as a mom. But, since I've done this five times before her, I've got her wired. :) I'm so thankful for the experience with other children I've had to mellow out and to be able to maintain boundaries with her. I know that because of the mother I've been to her she's happy and becoming more and more well adjusted.
I've had to train her to say, "okay mommy," instead of, "NOOOOOO!!!!!!." And believe it or not, all on her own, most of the time she says, "okay mommy," in the sweetest little voice of hers.
If you cant tell by the pictures I'm absolutely number one in her world. There is nobody else who can sing to her at night, scratch her back or tuck her in the way I do. And she doesn't give out free kisses to anyone but me. I feel so lucky. :) Truly. She is attached to my hip and she has been since day one. I love her beyond belief.
It's funny how personalities are so different. Having seven of them, I can really see this. Summer, although happy, seems to have a bit of an internal struggle going on. She's starting to mellow. But, there is an intensity that I haven't seen since my first son, Kalen.
She and Kalen are the most alike. They are willing to go to battle for what they believe in, for sure. Whether it be for a bottle, brushing her own teeth, putting her seat belt on herself, holding William (who now weighs almost as much as her), or keeping the light on in her room as she's going to sleep, she is willing to go to the "front lines" for these things. My patience has grown times one thousand because of Summer. Thank you my Tumsy, for refining me, because you certainly have.
Below, is the internal struggle I talked about above, that she has within herself. "To be happy, or not to be happy?", it seems is a common theme in her little soul.
But, low and behold, she always ends up with a smile. She is a gem. She is truly one of a kind. She is motivated beyond belief, super independent, and very smart. There's no pulling the "wool over her eyes," in any circumstances. She's way to aware of her surroundings for that. :)
Summer is a big sister and also a little sister. She loves babies, waffles, pancakes, being with her mom, and going to the beach.
As of late, she is attached to Georgia. She will often say things like, "is Georgia going too?
Georgia is the sister right above her. And it's so precious to see her love Georgia the way Georgia loves their oldest sister, Gwyneth.
So, to my precious Summer Love, you are my baby girl. You keep me on my toes, and I suspect you always will, but I'm prepared for it. I love you for your passion, and for the love that you have for me. I can't imagine life without you. I love you forever. Happy Birthday to you. xoxoxo


Oh Shauna what a beautiful girl -Happy Birthday dearest little big Summer - you are amazing - I can just tell. Hope the future for you is bright. It will be with the amazing family you have. She reminds me of (my) Holly in terms of personality - so adorable. Much love Axx
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Miss Summer! Wishing you all the best to come this upcoming year! Being three is so awesome!
ReplyDeleteI love 3 year olds! They are the best! She sounds a lot like my first born Harris! He is a fighter! Doesn't matter what it is the dukes are always up, but at the same time it gives him the strength to push through and get jobs done!
Happy Birthday Summer! What a wonder perspective you have of her stubborness. She sounds an awful lot like my Bennett. Beautiful last pictures of all your children!
ReplyDeleteI have to say I love stubborn, feisty kids full of personality, what can I say, Emry was like that and as I looked around it just made all other kids seem boring! Maybe that was my way of coping, or maybe because she was my first and did no wrong I thought it was great. But truthfully of all your kids I relate to Summer the most, and she's 3!!!!!!! I think she loves hard, that's way she needs and wants you so much. I love seeing your relationship with her, it seems you two are very connected and I think it's great. She is a special little girl who has the sweetest little soul. I love her. Sweet, sweet post.
ReplyDeleteLove Summer. And love these pictures--so beautiful. It was fun having Summer over for toddler time today. She, of course, had to hold Miles. I took a cute picture, I'll have to post it. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Summer! What a beautiful super cutie! Such big eyes that look right into your soul. Love to Shauna.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post! I've never commented on your blog before. We absolutely love Summer and talk about her funny comments in our home. I have to tell you she actually kissed John's cheek at the Stinking Rose when he was playing with her. I said to John that I was surprised; I didn't think Summer gave kisses out to just anyone. Shannon
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post! And you have such a pretty little (or big :) ) family. So glad I came across your blog!
ReplyDelete