Saturday, October 15, 2011

Take Two.....IXL Night!!!

This title means nothing to you I'm sure.  But it was a big night because Gwyneth and Reece finished their grade in IXL.  In our homeschool regiment we have the kids doing their regular math curriculum (Abeka Math) and we have them doing an online math program called IXL.  This program is geared toward the California State Standards so when they take the Star Test they will test well.  When they finish their grade they get to pick dinner and dessert alone with mom and dad.  Reece and Gwyneth are best friends so they chose to go together.



They chose to go the Cheesecake Factory.  We sat outside on a little side table where it was nice and quiet. 




Here they are eating a tasty endive salad.  




There are about 130-160 math skills they have to complete in their grade through IXL.  And in each skill set you have to answer about 25 questions on the skill.  Lately, I have had to help Reece some.  He is six and just finished first grade IXL math.  This was one of the questions...."Scott had a basketball poster on his wall that was 4ft tall, a football poster that was 6ft tall, a race car poster that was 2ft tall and a tiger poster that was 5ft tall.  How much taller was the basketball poster compared to the race car poster?" He said these were the hardest for him.  Are these questions really meant for skill or just trickery?




For dinner I had a baked flat bread with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella with a simple house salad and creamy vinaigrette.  Simple and good.



Kirk always gets the Steak Dianne.  He never gets anything like this at home, sooooo.....(although I do make homemade mashed potatoes frequently when the cooler weather comes.)



We made them share a cheesecake, since one slice is the size of their heads we thought this was a good idea.  I'm holding hot chocolate.  We sat outside and it was probably about 70 degrees but I was freezing.  We are definitely Californians.  You kids are hard workers, keep it up-we love  you.



- Posted on the go with the LBJ

4 comments:

  1. Congrats you two on all your hard work. Lila is good at math but bad at word problems as well. I am kind of a bad math teacher because it's actually the one subject I excel at and I tend to get a little impatient when they don't get it.

    The food looks delish. CF was just named Americas favorite chain. We don't have one here (in little ol' Temecula), but it sure looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Gwyneth & Reece.

    Reece is really thinning out in the face. That is sad. That means he is growing up. :( loosing the baby fat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cute family (and all your good eats). Ha ha- I just sat outidie this morning and drank warm coffee and was freezing in the high 60's. We live in CA too! :) So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting! Yes-we are such wimps in CA when it comes to the "cold." Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete