I'm pretty sure that most people who know me or read my blog know that I home school my children. A few months back someone mentioned that I don't talk a lot about the fact that I home school and I'm not "preachy" about it. Mostly they're correct. I don't talk a lot about it on my blog or bring it up a lot unless I"m asked about it.
Home school is my life. As I think about it, I guess I don't talk about it a lot because I do it. I spend all day with my kids, I teach them, I read to them, I play with them, I cook three, four and sometimes five and six meals for them. We clean together, we make messes together, and we figure things out...together. To be honest most people tell me they love the idea of home school but a lot of people can't imagine being with their kids all day long.
And there is nothing wrong with that at all. Because frankly, I can't imagine being away from my kids all day long on a regular basis. Ha!!! But, times are changing. I knew sooner than later I would really have to give some thought as to what my plan for High School would be. My Educational Specialist just came to review our children's work, as she does every month, and she mentioned it was time to draw up a plan for Kalen as to what he would do for high school.
He isn't going into 9th grade yet. He's only going to be in 8th grade. However, time flies and these things have to be figured out. I always thought we would have him home school for the first two years of high school, to then test out and start attending Junior College, around 16/17 years old. But then, a few days ago, my friend who also home schools said she attended the open house to a charter school called UPA, University Preparatory Academy. Their mission statement is along the lines of, "a private education in a public setting." She was very impressed, the school is small, the student body that did the tour were very well spoken, sharp and seemed happy. As she told me about the school I knew it would be what we would do for Kalen. And although Kalen has never asked me or given me any indication that he has wanted to attend school, I knew he would love the idea of this school.
I came home later that night and told Kalen all about the school. I told him that it was a hard school. There would be lots of homework, a few hours worth each night. He said, "I'm ready for it, I really want to do this."
So, it is the beginning of change. If I'm honest with myself, I am excited for Kalen. But, it's bitter sweet. Currently, I work a lot with Kalen. I read his history along with him and I write the comprehension questions for the chapters. I also spend at least half hour going over the questions with him, simply because history is a great place to introduce logic and debate. I love history and have a degree in Political Science, so this is my strength. This is along with all of the other guidance I give to him in his other subjects, like doing dissections for science.
He does science through the Cava K-12 program which is parallel to the public school model. He loves science and has wanted to be a Pediatric Doctor for nearly two years now. His dad is his math teacher and he is doing Algebra. He does a writing program through "write at home," which gives him a real live writing coach on line. He also does "Lightning Literature," which serves as another writing program to help him become familiar with classics and highly favored cultural novels with which he also practices his writing skills.
When it comes down to it, the older Kalen gets the more involved his studies are for me and for him. I'm not sure I can give him what he needs with a house full of six other children. But, I do honestly feel he has gotten a very good start. I have no doubt that he will assimilate well when it comes to the the subjects taught and work assigned.
My concern is with the social aspect of public school. The irony behind the question, "how is your child socialized," that so often times a home schooling parent gets asked is that really, we usually don't want our children socialized in the very way that most kids in public school are socialized.
For me and my husband, we wanted our children together with us and with each other for as long as possible. We are at home learning to build strong relationships with each other, to be able to study the gospel of Jesus Christ along with our studies and to have the freedom to choose what we will teach to our children, without the ill distractions that so often come from public school.
And I've honestly loved this way of life...mostly. :) There are hard times. There are hard days. Of course!
I've used Story of the World as our elementary history as so many home schooling families do, it's fantastic. As the children get older I've used "The History of Us," which is just as fantastic and I've loved reading and studying it with Kalen. And I will do the same with our children coming up in age.
Gwyneth's history notebook is below. She loves history. Loves it.
Another most frequently asked question is "what do your other little kids do while the others take up your time?" This is what they do:
They get into baby powder, pour it all over the bricks in the backyard and make snow angels, or rather, powder angels. :)
They play with Legos while the others are studying and writing and doing Arithmetic.
They water color right next to their sister as she does her work.
They study different flowers and color them...one of Georgia's extracurricular activities as she waits for her older sister to be done with her work. :)
They assist their baby siblings onto the trampoline and then bounce their hearts out!
She plays with her baby, all day long.
They get into trouble too and have to sit on the bench. Shane coming off of the bench. :)
I'm sure it's clear, the little kids play together and by themselves as I do school with the others. But, I also teach Shane as he has begun reading at the ripe old age of 4 and Summer is coming along with her letters and sounds.
Reece and Georgia do the same science for now. They've had a lot of fun this year with it.
To wrap up this segment on home school life, Kalen will stay at home for one more year and head into UPA for ninth grade. It is a lottery so we will see. As for my concerns about a public school setting, we are going to try it. Kalen has been taught, he knows his Savior and he knows how to make good choices. If things don't work out for some reason, we have options and choices. I have faith in that.
The other children are thriving and happy at home with their learning. The other activities they are involved with are:
Piano, year round swim team, park day, baseball, church, youth group, activity day girls, church basketball, tennis and the list goes on.
When it comes down to it home school is my passion and it always will be. I believe in keeping children close as long as possible. I'm in it for the long haul and I feel passionate about giving all of my children my all. But, I realize that everybody is different. Not everybody feels this way and I think these differences should be celebrated. What should be celebrated is that we have the choice here, right now, to choose public, private, home, or charter educations. We as parents, for now, are able to choose what we think is the best education for our children. I have loved home schooling my children. I love to wake up with them, to have no rush, but to learn and be together. And I am thankful for choices. Because we are all different. And that is what makes things great.





You are amazing! I think it is wonderful that you have created such a wonderful learning environment at home. I love how you said you don't want Kalen to be socialized as most kids are- I totally agree with you on that as we struggle between sending C to the local public school or the small Catholic school that I want him to go to. A lot of people tell me he needs the 'diversity' of public school, but if I can protect him and have him around families with the same values as us, why wouldn't I? I know Kalen will do wonderful things at UPA and probably end up teaching many other young adults how to be wonderful people!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures. I would love to hear more about how you homeschool. I am interested in it, even though I don't think I'd be a very good candidate (as you can tell by the way I exercise, I'm not very internally motivated--the lowest grade I ever received at BYU was in an independent study class that I dragged out forever. I struggle with time management and I'd hate for my kids to suffer because of my inability to stay focused and balanced). You have totally overturned the stereotype in my head about what it means to homeschool. You have to realize, I grew up in the middle of Happy Valley, Utah, where 99% of the kids I went to school with were upstanding members of the LDS church so the families who chose to homeschool weren't concerned about the environment, they had other hang-ups and so all the kids I knew who were home schooled were straight-up WEIRD. There wasn't a network of homeschoolers like you have here (At least not back then where I lived), so they didn't socialize much at all, so like I said, they were *extremely* socially awkward. I remember the worst date I ever went on was with a kid who was home schooled. He didn't talk to me the whole night and then at the end of the date, he tried to kiss me. So yeah, you've done a ton to fix that skewed picture I had in my head. :) Even though I'm not seriously considering homeschooling (yet anyway), it's definitely an option I'd like to explore. My problem is because I have no exposure to it, I can't even picture or imagine how it would work. Would you ever consider letting me come observe for a half hour, just to see how you do it? Or do a post about it? How do you organize it? How do you make sure everyone stays on track where they need to be? How do you keep the kids focused? Anyway, it's all a mystery to me. I'd love to become more confident about the possibility because with the way curriculum in California schools is changing and my concerns about the environment in schools here, even if I decide to keep Blake in public schools, I'd like to make that choice because I'm confident about it, not because I don't feel knowledgeable or capable enough about any other options.
ReplyDeletegreat post! I loved reading more about your passion for home schooling. exciting for Kalen. big changes!! it's that time of year to start making all these big choices. Emily will start 9th grade in the fall and we're in the middle of trying to decide what high school she will go to and what her classes will be. I'm trying not to hyperventilate.
ReplyDeleteCan I just ditto what Lisa said...except that part about the horrible date, I never dated someone who was home schooled :)
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed. I have always liked the idea of homeschool, but my children weren't homeschool children. My oldest doesn't do well with working on his own or taking direction from me! The second one would probably be just fine at home because he is does well with using his time wisely and number 3 begs me to keep him home, but when we go to do his homework each night he gives me such a hard time. What I like about the homeschool concept is that you can spread out the curriculum out throughout the year and make your own vacation schedule. It opens the door for fun field trips and no worries about a child missing time for a doctors appt. What I know I couldn't handle is the two little girls who are turning my house upside down every time I turn my back. You are a rock school. I wanted to put Harris in a school like Kalen, but he wanted to stay with all his friends.
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing! I don't think that I could ever be as devoted to home school, but I'm always so impressed and in awe of those who can. You are a great momma!!
ReplyDeletexo TJ
http://www.hislittlelady.com
Dear Shauna, I think it sounds amazing and a fantastic job you're doing. I have never heard of anyone homeschooling here in Denmark. You see everybody works, very few stay at home Mums. I remember handing my 12 month old daughter over to the nursery and cry in all the way to work. She was ok though, and love her kindergarten now:) I admire your way, and I am astounded how much your children know. You are fantastic, and the amount of patience you must have is great. I wish for more time with my girls in the evenings. I have been working from home for a few years, where we have benefitted - I'd pick them up from school really early, - but now I'm back at work in the studio (which I love), so I feel there aren't not enough hours in the day when I get back at 5.- 6 pm. Look forward to hearing more about Kalen and his new path. He will do absolutely great wherever he goes - no doubt in that. Take care all of you amazing Klippels :)
ReplyDeleteoh how this post made me smile... I loved sitting here reading through all the benefits and all the hard work it takes... as I think I've mentioned before my husband and I were both home-schooled all the way through and wouldn't change it for the world... Had plenty of 'social' (as most of people worry is) and really had a fantastic experience.. its not easy though... You're pictures are full of creative learning and joy... but it does NOT look easy... Excited to see where God takes me in the future and can't wait- thanks for the inspiration.. you are a fantastic mom!!! <3
ReplyDeleteYou simply amaze me....as a mother, wife, friend...you are all around a wonderful human being and you truly do inspire me.
ReplyDeletewow! Great job! We just started homeschool with our older daughter, and yes, its a challenge. First of all because Im Mexican and there's no such a thing as homeschooling. Of course i heard about it before, but is not popular at all. At the same thing it's a wonderful blessing being able to keep your children with you, well worth the effort! I would like to know more about the materials /curriculum you use. We have four children and I can't imagine how it would be with more! You are amazing! Thanks for such an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteI love love love this post. I think homeschooling is such a wonderful thing and I wish I had the capacity and patience for it (but I know myself and I don't have that). However it is more and more intriguing as high school approaches (only 3 years away for my oldest).
ReplyDeleteContinue to be amazing Shauna!!!!
I think it is so lovely that you homeschool your kids - they must absolutely love it. I went to school from being 5 years old and can safely say that my favourite time was the last few years of high school. I'm sure he will love it, he seems up for the challenge!
ReplyDeletehey! it's been forever since you posted. are you guys still alive??!!
ReplyDelete