Every year come January we sit down and map out our individual goals for the year. This year was no different, but I was impressed with my two oldest children, Kalen and Gwyneth when they came to our "goals meeting" with their journals and a goal or two in each category that we've come up with as a family. They weren't prompted, they just knew we'd be doing family goals and thought it important enough to think about it on their own and be ready for our meeting. I could go on, but really, this just wasn't my life at all growing up. I'm so thankful for their determination and to be a family that is involved with each other.
My kids aren't geniuses; I of course think they are brilliant at times., but I'm their mom, so ...and they have their areas of talent. If anything though, they are motivated and are always willing to try harder. I admire it so much. And I think that no matter the level of their "smarts" their willingness to try hard, and achieve their goals will take them far. But, mostly they will be happy with who they are.
Tonight, we met again to go over our goals making sure we are on track. The five areas we set goals for are:
Mind, School, Spiritual, Service, and Physical
Kalen:
Mind-Learn to play by piano five hymns every three months. By the end of the year he will know thirty one. He knows how to play eleven as of now.
School-Complete Study Island program to prepare for the Star Test on top of his regular studies and blog twice a week.
Spiritual-Working on the "Duty to God" award for young men's and attending the Temple every other month.
Service-Play piano for local folks "home," Carlton Plaza. They are going to let the kids play piano once a month, it's right down the street.
Physical-Achieve three "J.O." times (Junior Olympics) in the "50 Breast," "50 Free" and the "100 free." He has one J.O. time now, but it's a process to actually get to the Olympic Juniors meet. He has to go to another meet just for J.O. times and beat the times again at that meet.
Gwyneth:
Mind-Learning to Crochet. She does service for an older lady, Sister Call, and her husband a few Wednesdays a month with her friend Lily. Sister call is teaching Gwyneth to Crochet. She's catching on. She can make hair ties.
School-Gwyneth wants to be done with her work by lunch time.
Spiritual-She's reading the Book of Mormon with a chart to keep her on track and she's memorizing the last few Articles of Faith. She has 1-9 memorized.
Service-Her piano teacher is helping her learn a couple of hymns on the side so she can play at the beginning of Primary for prelude.
Physical-Rotate running with mom.
Reece:
Mind-Learning to play chess. Kirk leaves "chess problems" on the ipad each day before work that Reece has to solve. Reece beat his dad legitimately today, twice. He's also going to start journaling on Sundays. We have had the two oldest do this too, so it becomes habit.
School-Learning to type with "Typing Instructor; Typer Island." The other two learned to type with this and it's the best program. He's also completing the Study Island math and language curriculum to prepare for the Star Test, on top of his regular school work.
Spiritual-Working on "Faith in God," for Scouts. He will be preparing Family Home Evening and things like this.
Service-Playing piano for Carlton Plaza.
Physical-Rotating runs with mom and five pull ups. He can do two now.
Georgia:
She's finishing Kindergarten and wants to read the Book of Mormon Stories through again. And she's the most service oriented person in this household, so I'm just hoping she keeps that up... :)
Kirk:
Mind- Read a family novel about Joseph Smith and finish Dracula (Dracula for himself, of course).
Spiritual-Pray in the morning with family.
Service-Cleans the Master Bedroom bathroom. He's been doing it and it's so awesome. Now I don't clean any bathrooms! Kalen and Gwyneth have been doing the other two for a while now.
Physical-He just started P90X and he's trying to drink less soda, his vice in life. :)
Shauna:
Mind-I'm learning to sew. I am!!! My dad had my sewing machine tuned and fixed. I have an appointment. with a friend from church to start lessons. To measure this goal I want to have a blanket/quilt that I made with my own two hands for my bed.
Spiritual- Reading "Jesus the Christ" and the "Miracle of Forgiveness." It's time I've read these. Especially, since they are said to be two of the greatest books ever written. I think I can manage two books this year. We'll see.
Service-To be a better Visiting Teacher. I remember the days when I was so tuned in and such a great Visiting Teacher. Gone are those days with seven kids and homeschool. I need to be better. I love my fellow sisters so much.
Physical-To rotate in other recipes for my lunch other than salad and yams. It's all I eat for lunch and I need to switch it up. I have no problems eating various breakfasts and dinners, why not lunch?
Here it is. Set in stone. We'll refer back in June, as usual to see our progress.


fun! you clean no bathrooms? I need to get my family doing that too. and I think Jesus the Christ will count for like 20 books. that's a tough one. I'm going to look into that typing program you mentioned with Reece for Trent. He still can't really type! is it free or how much does it cost? we were awesome visiting teachers, weren't we... :) I am seeing the flip side of that for the first time ever. I had no visiting teachers for 7 months when we moved to Seattle, then they switched it around and now, although I know who they are, they never come. never asked how things were going when Ryan didn't have a job. it's so strange. makes me realize how important visiting teachesr are, now that I don't really have any. and thankful for all the great visiting teacher from the past! kelly F. Lisa W. Sheila M. etc.
ReplyDeleteYes, those were the days. Just not as consumed, had a lot more time. I miss that time a lot, and you of course. I'm so glad we've reconnected through our blogs.
ReplyDeleteJill, you can get that typer program for free, just google it. It is the best thing because most kids learn to type when they are in highschool which is crazy because they are capable of learning pretty early. I also find that they have more motivation to blog/journal on the computer if they can type faster. It's been great. Love you,
Shauna
I love all the pictures, and you have an adorable family Shauna!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog,I tried my luck in sewing, apparently could not follow at all...!
http://kickingkilos.blogspot.in/
So great Shauna. I think I will have a goal setting FHE next Monday. We all have vague goals swirling around in our minds but it's much more productive and useful to see them written down.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the sewing. I would love to be able to sew brilliantly but I know it's not in the cards for me, mainly because patterns and such bore me to death, there's really no motivation there. On the other hand I think it would be really fun to do quilts, that's something in the back of my mind for sure.
Emry's play opened last night. Not as musical, colorful or as exciting as the last one but it's so fun to see her up on stage in her element, she is 100% theater geek :)
Love all you guys, have a fantabulous weekend full of fun!
You are an amazing super mom and the goals are truly inspiring~~~You have such a beautiful family!
ReplyDeletey'all make the prettiest babies!! such great goals and i know you're very proud of them.
ReplyDeleteYou will have to teach me how to sew! I can't even remember how to thread my bobbin. We will have to trade knitting lessons for sewing lessons.
ReplyDeleteSo... Pretty much plan on copying you as I think everything about this goal system is brilliant. Also, not like you don't have enough to do, but the fact that you've managed to farm out cleaning bathrooms...brilliant! And one of my new life goals. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat fantastic goals laid forth. I can't wait to see how everyone progresses, reading about your family the past couple of months I have no doubt goals will be met.
ReplyDeleteAs for the sewing I wish I could do it. I just think of all of the practical things I could whip up, but for some reason it just doesn't click. Can't wait to see the quilt you make :)
Happy Wednesday Shauna!
Shauna,
ReplyDeleteI am just beginning to start catching-up on blogs! This post particularly called to me because I think you know that I love working on self-improvement. I think that achieving things, taking on new skills, creating space in our life allows us to free up some mental energy that can be dedicated to other things. I look forward to hearing all about how these are coming in June!
It is so good to be back and in the swing of things. Your words are a wonderful part of my day!
xoxoxoxo
Kat