Friday, June 08, 2012

Hospital Chronicles

Update - Shauna gave birth to little William Patrick last night around 9:30. He is 2lbs 3 oz, 14inches long. The staff here are miracle workers and William is stable. Mommy is doing well, although quite exhausted. William will be in the NICU until due date of mid September. Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers (and modern technology) that have kept this little life going. It is an amazing time we live in. Updates soon Hi everybody....I might rename my blog "the hospital chronicles," since they tell me I'm going to be here for awhile.

I did end up having two complete blood transfusions. I had lost a little over ten percent of my blood volume. I continue to bleed but at a slower pace. My blood pressure is low and they are considering doing another transfusion. After an episode of contractions yesterday they put through my IV, Magnesium, which helps all the muscles to relax (ie: the uteris) and this is shown to provide considerable neurological protection for pre-mature babies. This wasn't the most fun. It makes you hot, lethargic, and since all of your muscles are relaxed your eye muscles can't focus, so it's like I needed glasses again. There is a separation of the water sack from the uterine wall where a clot has formed and they found a large hematoma or blood clot above the water sack. Why they have formed? They don't know.

One day last week my mom brought only the little ones.....


Which is a good thing because they are monkeys!!!!!!!!!!!


Summer and my mom.......


Summer saying "please" because she wants to sit up on the bed with me.


Tumsy girl again with mommy.


Kirk brought the big kids for popcorn and game night.......


One of our favorite family games is "Monopoly Deal.". It's so fun!!!!!!!!!!!


Reece wins a lot, it drives his older sister and brother nuts.


Even though Summer can't talk much, she managed to "talk" my mom into letting her play with her phone....silly grandma.


JUNE 5th, MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever spent your birthday in the hospital? Me neither until now.


My favorite nurse Wendy said, "well at least your not spending your birthday in jail.". And I thought, "yes Wendy, thank you, now I feel almost grateful to be here on my birthday-thank you for that change in perspective. Nothing like looking on the bright side. :)


I got lots of flowers and cards, visitors and phone calls. Some sweet older sisters from the church brought these homegrown sweatpeas from their garden. Also, my best friend Marie dedicated a blog post to me on my birthday. That was a fun surprise. Her blog is called Feeding Five.


My mom brought all the kids and she surprised me with a homemade German Chocolate Cheesecake! Mom, I love you so much.


After we ate we played Yatzi, another game my kids love.



From above...........


The kids love going to the labor and delivery kitchen where they have these cute little cans of soda.


Later that night for my birthday, my husband Kirk brought Thai food for dinner.


It was so good!!!!!


Huh? Why is Kirk in the hospital? He's not really, he's just pretending to be as he cracked a tooth in half and after getting some serious dental work, he thought he might try to convince the nurses to give him some meds. Too bad, all he got was a nap. While he slept I sat at the edge of the bed and my mom polished my toe nails. Thank you mom-I love you.


I'm trying to capture the sweet moments, but these are hard times. I try to stay positive. We have had family council with the kids letting them know that we are living through a trial right now, we have to pull together, unite if you will, even more than usual. But that is easier said than done as kids go here and there and their routines are thrown around a bit. And they are uncertain of when their mom will be home, or whether she's all right really.The hardest thing about being here is that I'm not with my kids, not directly influencing them and I miss my little baby girl terribly.

They don't know why I'm bleeding, they never do. While I don't think I am going to have a premature baby (I'm only 26 weeks) I don't know.

Tonight I am thankful for my mom, she has come to live with us for now and it's not easy. I'm thankful to my mother and father in law who never cease to amaze me with their energy and willingness to help. My dad has my two oldest sons and he has taken them camping for the next two days. My husband for trying to hold down the fort at home with my mom. And I can always count on him to come cuddle in my hospital bed with me. And all of my friends who have taken the kids for play time, pool visits, library time and on and on. I feel blessed to have each and everyone of you in my life....I will keep you all posted. Love,

Shauna


16 comments:

  1. Hang in there. It looks like you can walk around and get up a bit. So that is another blessing you can count. Even though it was only a week, I couldn't. It my may hips so sore & stiff. After I gave birth, I could hardly walk. Hang in there. Just focus on the little boy that is in your tummy, all for him. I feel for you. And we are praying for you. We LOVE you so much.
    XOXOXOXO
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna and family, we are praying for you and little William. I love you Shauna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and William, Shauna! I hope things are going okay. I had a hematoma as well so I know exactly what you are going through.

    PS: Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shauna! So sorry you have to spend the next few months in the hospital with a premature baby. The good thing is that he is big enough that they can help him. Hang in there! You will have days of frustration as you will have good nurses and bad nurses. Been there! Never feel a question is too dumb to ask and keep asking if you don't understand. He is your baby! When you have a chance send me your address through e-mail. I would love to send William a present from Germany. Hugs from Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. my e-mail is on my blog under contact or maybe profile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Shauna and family,
    I'm thinking about you all ALL the time. Sending up BIG prayers for your speedy recovery and the health of your precious little William. I adore his name...and I know he is just as BEAUTIFUL as all your other little blessings. I'll be watching for an update...but please take this time to rest and recover. Hang in there, sweet Shauna, and stay strong for little William and the rest of your kiddos. I hope you have LOTS of friends and family around to offer support during this very tough time. I wish there was someway I could help...but it is pretty tough when you are across the country, right? :( Please know I'm praying and thinking about you all daily. Lots of love-- Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Shauna, I hope you are doing all right! Our prayers are with your family! William is a good strong name and I know he will be a beautiful, healthy little boy. Your family is so amazing and I am so glad you have such a wonderful support system to help you through this time. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shauna... I am welling up with tears thinking about you and baby William and the rest of your beautiful family! I will be keeping you guys in my prayers daily. I can't begin to imagine what you're going through right now but reading your post you seem so positive and strong. I agree with Ashley's comment.... take time to rest. You need to get yourself better before you can take care of your babies. All of them. And Happy Belated Birthday. I thought that was a beautiful post written by an amazing friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shauna, thinking of you! I'm sure you guys will pull through and you'll get all the love and support that you need during this challenging time. All my love xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shawna, I am in shock. I hope all the procedures will continue to help you back to your children and family, and bless that little one who has come to your family so soon. Modern medicine can be a miracle no matter what direction it takes. My prayers are with you. And bless your sweet husband for being there and bringing you good food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Shauna, I am in tears at my desk right now. My heart is so heavy for your family right now and all that you must be going through, and yet I take solace in the fact that not only do you care for and love one another so ferociously, but that you have your faith as an anchor.

    I will continue to keep you all in my prayers and rejoice in the little blessing of a life we have in William. Praise God for a skilled staff to watch over you both during your stay in the hospital.

    Keep your head up and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shauna,

    Congrats on little William, although I am sure this has been far from easy and not entirely joyous for you and your family. I am grateful for the update. My thoughts have been and will continue to be with you. Longs days ahead.

    Much love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my - congrats to your newest little son, I´m so glad for you! Just take it easy and rest with your family, I´ll keep you in my thoughts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Oh, and I was premature as well, just like your William!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my thoughts and prayers always. Talking to you today was inspiring, keep the faith Shauna.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of you in every way....you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers my friend.

    ReplyDelete