Sunday, September 25, 2011

Canning

Just recently the canning specialist in our church was able to get a ton of pears from a local farm.  We were given the option of purchasing a forty pound box for $22.00, so I did....I thought it would be fun to learn how to can.  My sweet friend Rachel MacDonald had me bring all my pears to her house, and we canned the night away.  I felt very resourceful.  It turned out to be a success.  Thanks Rachel.








This is me peeling pears.  You can't see my other friends, but at about this time they were teasing me because I didn't know how to can, sew, make funeral potatoes, play the piano or (any instrument for that matter) and there was something else but I can't remember.  One of them finally said jokingly, "I'm not sure you're really a Mormon."  And I thought....and thought and alas I said, "I grind my own wheat and cook with it!!!!"  That made it official.  We are so funny...us LDS folk.  We definitely have our niches, canning is one of them. 







Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you canned & made your Mormon status official. Whew, that was close. Pears are so cheap right now I have been buying a ton. I don't know how it started but when I offer them to Ethan I call them perfect pears. "Do you want a perfect pear?" "Mommy can you slice me some perfect pears?" Just one of those things you say that stick I guess.

    ReplyDelete