General Conference is a world wide broadcast where Mormons everywhere have the opportunity to listen to their Prophet, Thomas S. Monson and his Apostles deliver spiritual and profound council. Our family loves General Conference so much. It occurs twice a year in April and in October.
We have built our own family traditions around conference weekend. There are two sessions each on Saturday and Sunday. We listen to all the sessions and on Saturday morning I always make a big, special breakfast. During the last session of conference on Sunday we go over to Grandma and Grandpa Klippel's home, where she feeds us lunch and has made special conference activities for the kids to do, like conference bingo. They love it.
We have built our own family traditions around conference weekend. There are two sessions each on Saturday and Sunday. We listen to all the sessions and on Saturday morning I always make a big, special breakfast. During the last session of conference on Sunday we go over to Grandma and Grandpa Klippel's home, where she feeds us lunch and has made special conference activities for the kids to do, like conference bingo. They love it.
This year I made Cinnamon Roll French Toast, featured on Val So Cal, with strawberries, bacon and eggs. We have bacon a couple of times a year, this is one of those times. :)
Conference starts at 9:00am in California. The kids bring down their cozies, blankets, pillows, etc. They got comfy and settled in to hear the messages.
We are always moving around, and getting adjusted during the talks. William is in this picture, can you see him?
My favorite talk this conference was by Jefferey R. Holland. He's my favorite apostle, I have such a love for him. He spoke about faith and doubts. But his ultimate message was, "whatever you know to be true in the gospel, trumps what you don't know." Doubts will always be a part of this human experience, questions will always arise-and through this we have to have the courage to exercise the faith that each one of us has.
The big deal is that Shane learned to ride a two wheeler. He's three. We didn't have a bike for him so his dad went and thrifted this little bike for a few bucks. He was riding it within a half hour. Yeah, for Shane!!
We don't have the pictures to document every happening this weekend, but it was such a wonderful weekend. I cuddled in bed with Kalen and Reece on Saturday night talking to them about what they would be when they grew up. Kalen loves children, as you can see above. He says he wants to be a children's doctor, a P.A. or maybe a nurse. Reece said he wants to be a dentist. We joked and laughed and laughed some more.
On Sunday to get some sunshine with the kids, in between conference, I drew a four square with sidewalk chalk and we played four square forever!!!! I loved four square when I was a kid and they love it too. I loved this weekend. I love being together as a family.
Tonight for Family Home Evening we read out of the Book of Mormon. We are in 3rd Nephi. Afterward we reflected on conference and what messages stood out to each one of us. To end the evening we played the name game. There is so much joy in being part of a loving family. I love our family, I love our traditions and nothing brings me more happiness than knowing that our children love to be together as a family, making memories. Being part of a family doesn't go without it's hardships, but all the same it is the biggest blessing to have each other. It's been another wonderful conference weekend.
I love you kids, so much.
On Sunday to get some sunshine with the kids, in between conference, I drew a four square with sidewalk chalk and we played four square forever!!!! I loved four square when I was a kid and they love it too. I loved this weekend. I love being together as a family.
Tonight for Family Home Evening we read out of the Book of Mormon. We are in 3rd Nephi. Afterward we reflected on conference and what messages stood out to each one of us. To end the evening we played the name game. There is so much joy in being part of a loving family. I love our family, I love our traditions and nothing brings me more happiness than knowing that our children love to be together as a family, making memories. Being part of a family doesn't go without it's hardships, but all the same it is the biggest blessing to have each other. It's been another wonderful conference weekend.
I love you kids, so much.





It was a great conference as always. I kind of miss the days when you had to go to the chapel to see it. You still can, but no one shows up! Can't wait to go back a read the talks!
ReplyDeleteSo fun, we watched the first session at my mom's then walked over to Matt Down's and watched the second. We don't get the BYU channel so we're always hobos on conference day. Glenn's mad at verizon and says he's quitting it today and going a different route, we'll see :)
ReplyDeleteSuch cute pictures of your family. My kids listened to only a few of the talks which is good enough for me. We talked that night about what they learned and they all had great input, I am happy.
Love you.
I loved Elder Holland's talk too! it was great. and wow! for Shane. that's amazing to be riding a bike so young. we sat down and watched Saturday and Sunday mornings as a family. then both afternoons the kids were in and out and I still have a few talks left to finish. but we DVR'ed it.
ReplyDeleteConference was so great wasn't it!? Wish I was at your house for those cinnamon roll french toast! It looks amazing. Happy Monday!!
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of Conference before...so glad to learn all about it today.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jamie...I wish I could have the french toast too!
Happy Monday Shauna!
What a cozy weekend with the family. Your kids are just darling!
ReplyDeleteMmmmm.... French toast is now on the list for next week...! woohoo!
Hope you have a wonderful week Shauna!
So informative!!!
ReplyDeleteThankyou for the sweet comment on my post 'comparison'.
Have a great week Shauna--love to the kids. Love LOVE the picture of you with your two smaller kids!
Looks like a great weekend, all together, relaxing and having a lovely time:)
ReplyDeleteBliss - and gosh your family is so very good looking:)
Love Axx
Wow that cinnamon roll french toast looks a-mazing! I know where I'm going for next general conference! ha no, I do love your idea of doing a special breakfast though. I want to remember to do that someday for my future kids.
ReplyDeleteI too loved Elder Holland's talk. He nails it every single time I swear. I also loved President Monson's talk on obedience during Sunday morning session. The whole conference was great though wasn't it? Conference is such a blessing.
That breakfast sounds like perfection! YUM!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED conference! I say this every 6 months... but it was JUST what I needed!
Elder Holland... he truly is an example of a God fearing man. Such a faithful man!
Great post...sounds like such a great weekend!! Food, Family, Fun, Conference!! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteI loved Elder Holland's talk too! I loved how he said something about not giving up ground when you doubt. Hold onto the faith you have. Oh he said some many great things!!!
They all did! So so good!!!
Cinnamon French toast?! Yum!!
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful tradition for your family! shauna, please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers. although i am not sharing it publicly, we found out my mother has cancer. she's very private and naturally doesn't want me sharing it, but i'm reaching out to everyone for prayers. we still don't know how far it is spread and all of that, as she sees specialists soon. i would very much appreciate it :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic family centered weekend. I would be looking forward to something like this as well not only for the delicious French toast but what a great word to spread.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing a little about conference as a non-Mormon I am a little clueless, but always very interested.
I hope you have a wonderful week Shauna!
Love,
Rachel
So clearly not the point of this post, but Shane on the 2 wheeler?? Amazing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful faith and family filled weekend. That is a really special event to bring everyone together and be able to talk and learn more about your faith. I really admire it!
This brings back memories of my general conference growing up! Love it. Thanks for your sweet comment, it meant a lot to me :)
ReplyDelete