Currently:
-Kalen is working hard to finish up his 7th grade school year. He has a love for science. He is reading a lot these days, including the Beyonders books and anything by Gary Paulson. Kalen recently received his "Star" award for Boy Scouts. He sings in the Stake Youth Choir, still takes piano lessons and plays the piano for Priesthood at church and his current passion is looming. He looms bracelets and charms. As a matter of fact he loomed a "Hulk, Duck and Princess" charm for each of his younger siblings to go into their Easter baskets. Breaks my heart. :)
What stands out to me most about Kalen right now is the friendship that he has built with his younger brother Reece. They have bonded over their mutual love for baseball and they have really grown to be best friends. When he is not busy with school and extra curricular activities, he spends all of his time with Reece. It's been so great to see this bond between them.
Recently, Kalen was pointed out by one of our church leaders at a Pack meeting for scouts. It was an impromptu moment where this particular leader went out of his way to express his appreciation for Kalen, as he said, "Kalen is always ready and willing to serve and always inquiring about the needs of others." This particular leader went on to mention that if his own sons ever wonder what to do, they should look to Kalen. We are happy to be Kalen's parents. He is a great young man who also loves and serves his family.
-Gwyneth is happy as ever, especially if she is reading ten books at a time. She recently read "Sofia's War." She said it was one of the best and most well written books she's ever read. I continue to be utterly impressed by her passion for acquiring and retaining knowledge. She's also a looming fool these days. She sells her loom charms at park day.
What stands out to me right now about Gwyneth is her sense of self. She is happy, confident and comfortable in her own skin. She knows who she is and what she stands for. She has a love for life. Recently, she had the opportunity to visit her favorite museum, The De Young, in San Francisco. Our good family friends took her. When Gwyneth got home after being their all day long, I sat with her for a good half hour as she talked and talked and talked about all of the wonderful art, and (not so wonderful art) she saw. She showed me her journal in which she had sketched her most favorite images. She said her favorite exhibit was that of the "California Bridges." She did a beautiful sketch of none other than the "Golden Gate Bridge."
Gwyneth also continues to play piano, is best friends with her sister Georgia, loves to write, create and read. She is still a swimmer through and through and loves playing "pickle" with her brothers. She is wonderful.
-Reece is a baseball player. If it was up to his dad he would do swimming his whole life. Luckily, Reece's mom is an advocate for him and she helped his dad understand that there is more to life than just swimming. :) So, on a whim I signed Reece up for baseball. All of his dreams came true when he was placed on the same team as his best friend. And he was placed in Triple A where stealing bases is allowed. Because these are the important things! The truth is, Reece is good at any sport he tries. So far, he has not struck out once in the nine games they've played. His motto is, "SWING!!!" He's also pitched in two games for a total of 4 innings. The last game he pitched in, he struck two players out in a row almost pitching a "no hitter," but not quite.
What stands out to me about Reece is his love for baseball, clearly. Reece is also advancing quickly in Scouts. He will be earning his Religious Knot at the next pack meeting and he continues to do very well in math. I'm also impressed with Reece's commitment to the gospel as of late. This year his goal was to share his testimony every other month in Sacrament meeting. So far he has done this. He also committed to reading the Book of Mormon on his own. He is doing great, as he reads every night. Reece is a great kid. :)
-Georgia is a tumbling maniac. Along with her bubbly personality she's taken to acrobat moves all over the place. She cart wheels all over whether it be in our house or down the aisles of Target. She taught herself to do a headstand with splits in the air. She's begging to do gymnastics. I will start her when the new school year begins.
What stands out to me at this time about Georgia is her improvement in school. She is reading better than ever. She can finally count by fives and tens and she is so proud of herself. She's a little bit of a late bloomer in some respects but that's okay. It's so great to see her excitement as she masters some of these skills.
She continues to love fashion, dress up, and playing with her big sister Gwyneth. Throughout the day she makes sure Gwyneth is around, as she hates for Gwyneth to do anything without her. I mentioned Georgia and fashion; just this evening as I was putting her to bed she leaned over to me and said, "you know that dress you were wearing today at church...can I have it when I grow up?" Ha!! I told her she could of course have it. Georgia is a precious girl.
-Shane is a happy boy. He's going to be five in July. He loves to sit with the kids in the morning to do "home school." He's actually reading pretty well already. Shane and Summer play a lot together when they're not fighting. :) He's also made some new friends at church that he loves to play with.
What stands out to me most about Shane at this time are his nighttime prayers. He gives the most thoughtful prayers at bedtime now. He said a prayer last week being thankful for his "healthy body" and "happy home." It's just one of the sweetest things to hear children give their own prayers.
Shane loves to paint, draw, color, read books, and play with Lego's. He's also a great swimmer and is starting Encore swim team today!
-Summer is happy when she's happy. :) She's slowly growing out of her fits and tantrums. But, sometimes they come back with vengeance. Most recently we took away her milk at night that she went to bed with. We are happy to say that she goes to bed now without milk, just a story, a back scratch and prayers. She's doing great...for the most part. :)
Things that I love about Summer: She calls Oatmeal, "Opa Meal." She loves trains and when she sees the light rail on the freeway she yells out, "choo, choo!!" Her favorite books right now are "Goodnight Moon" , "Brown Bear, Brown, Bear", "Harold and the Purple Crayon", and Little Golden Books version of "Frozen."
-William is big. I had this impression that since he was born so early that he would be small for a really long time. Well, he's not, at all. He's a big ol' boy and he wants to be just like his brothers and sisters. He's actually a little crazy at times, trying to do big kid things.
We have a Spring Free Trampoline. So the outside of the net has skinny plastic poles going around it to act as a support. When he's done jumping on the trampoline he grabs onto one of these poles wraps his legs around it and slides down it! He's not even two!! He runs everywhere. He loves balls and books and electronic devices. Meaning my phone. Whenever he gets a hold of it he turns on the "Mormon Channel" and watches a little clip about Jesus. Every time. He's very spiritual. :) He also loves to be outside. Loves it. He tries to get outside any chance he can get.
Life is good. We are happy. But, we are not without challenges. Nonetheless, we recognize the abundant blessings that come our way daily. Life is great!
Your children are going to treasure the fact that you took the time to write these snippets about them someday. I know you are crazy busy and we are three hours ahead of you in time zone,but I would love to talk to you about homeschool. Winston is having a really hard time in middle school with bullies. While he hasn't asked to be homeschooled, I am starting to wonder if it may be a better option for him. Would love to talk to you about how does one get started and knowing you are providing them materials they need to advance forward. Can you call me sometime! 678-780-8776 Thanks, Kelleyn
ReplyDeleteAs a mother of grown children I wish I had taken the time to more fully appreciate their talents and goodness when they were children, because they were very good children. And now they are very good adults. But I did not tell them.
ReplyDeleteI just LOVED the Gary Paulson books. They were so wonderful to read and I think that the outdoors/survival motifs are such a good message of independence and self-sufficiency. It makes me smile to think that Kalen is reading them now as well.
ReplyDeleteThe family updates are so fabulous - some of the tidbits crack me up. I feel like we need an update on YOU next!
i LOVEEE this update and learning more about your precious children!!! they are going to love reading this later on when they're older! you are an amazing mom, shauna!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! What beautiful children you have. Kev is sitting next to me and asked what I was reading and I told him that I can only hope that our boys are as wonderful as your kids one day! You guys are amazing parents. Thanks for sharing all their goodness!
ReplyDeleteTruly heart warming...I feel such a sense of peace and happiness every time I visit your blog. Love the update.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a wonderful mom, Shauna! I love how you spend so much time making each child feel special. Hope life is well.
ReplyDeleteYour children are so creative, beautiful and inspiring! I love that you've really encouraged each one to have their own unique strengths and interests. Great post!
ReplyDelete