Hi Everybody!!!! Happy 4th! Our kids begged to spend this day at the beach. I'm starting with this picture because Kirk and the boys are playing some good ol' American Baseball.
Gwyneth is waiting patiently for help because she seriously couldn't get out by herself, this may not actually be the safest thing, but fun for sure...
My dad joined us for the day as well. All my kids love their grandpa. They always beg me to tell the adventures I've had with my dad because there are many. Now they are having their own fun with him. A few weeks ago he took my two oldest sons camping for a few days. They hiked, fished and went boating. My sons thought they had died and gone to heaven.
We had a fun, low key day at the beach in remembrance of this countries birth. I love the freedoms we enjoy but also the vast opportunities we have as Americans. I love my life, my family, friends and experiences so far that have shaped who I am. I love this picture below. She loves my dad.
I try to stay organized. Another great day was had with family and a sweet creation of memories......Meanwhile back at the "ranch" a.k.a, the hospital......
William is doing really well. He has had one rough week so far. His PDA (patent ductis arterial) opened really big and caused a large heart murmur. His cardiologist spoke with us about him having a possible "minor" heart surgery. We will know more about this in a few weeks. Needless to say I had a lot of emotions about this. Mainly just wondering about the act of surgery on such a small baby at all. This was really nerve racking but it's life in the NICU, I"m learning very quickly.
Here's the big man at 3lbs 4oz. He started at 2lb 3oz. He has gained over a pound in about two and a half weeks. Luckily I have so much milk and he takes his feedings through a tube very well. The nurses told me I have to start freezing all of my own milk because they don't have room for it there anymore. I'm starting to run out of room for it too, it adds up quickly.
Currently he is progressing really well with his breathing, growing and feedings. We won't know about the need for surgery for a few weeks. He is really strong and he "likes what he likes" so the nurses tell me. He does the best on his tummy and he makes it really clear when he's uncomfortable. One of the nurses told me that the older nurses have nicknamed him "Wild Bill." Just when I was telling my mother in law that William no longer gets the nickname of Bill....I was cracking up. Wild Bill because he tries constantly to pull his breathing apparatus out and he fights the nurses a lot when they try to get his temperature and do his vitals. In my journal I wrote that it's a great nickname so long as he is in the hospital...!
Usually Kirk and I visit him in the evening after we put our kids in bed. When Kirk can't come with me I take one of the bigger kids and they stay with me and visit for a couple of hours. We are coming to love Will so much. He is so sweet to look at and hold. I can't believe this is my life right now. And by this I just mean that life can turn around and bring some very unexpected paths. I feel like I was headed in one direction and then suddenly was forced to make a "U Turn." Like I mentioned before it's just a different journey. I am coming to love the nurses and I've picked a few primary nurses. A primary nurse is a nurse that you feel suits your baby well. So far they are all good but there are a couple of special ones from what I can see. I am feeling less and less traumatized these days and more relaxed with my new life. I know William is going to come home quickly and in about three years I might be wishing he could revisit his little plastic incubator....if he stays like the "wild Bill" that he is now that is. :)
Currently he is progressing really well with his breathing, growing and feedings. We won't know about the need for surgery for a few weeks. He is really strong and he "likes what he likes" so the nurses tell me. He does the best on his tummy and he makes it really clear when he's uncomfortable. One of the nurses told me that the older nurses have nicknamed him "Wild Bill." Just when I was telling my mother in law that William no longer gets the nickname of Bill....I was cracking up. Wild Bill because he tries constantly to pull his breathing apparatus out and he fights the nurses a lot when they try to get his temperature and do his vitals. In my journal I wrote that it's a great nickname so long as he is in the hospital...!
Usually Kirk and I visit him in the evening after we put our kids in bed. When Kirk can't come with me I take one of the bigger kids and they stay with me and visit for a couple of hours. We are coming to love Will so much. He is so sweet to look at and hold. I can't believe this is my life right now. And by this I just mean that life can turn around and bring some very unexpected paths. I feel like I was headed in one direction and then suddenly was forced to make a "U Turn." Like I mentioned before it's just a different journey. I am coming to love the nurses and I've picked a few primary nurses. A primary nurse is a nurse that you feel suits your baby well. So far they are all good but there are a couple of special ones from what I can see. I am feeling less and less traumatized these days and more relaxed with my new life. I know William is going to come home quickly and in about three years I might be wishing he could revisit his little plastic incubator....if he stays like the "wild Bill" that he is now that is. :)








That Georgia "baked" wasn't what had me in stitches so much as the fact that she had actioned a bundt cake! Seriously, I couldn't contain myself.
ReplyDeleteWild Bill sounds like quite the name for your little one! I'm thinking a little theme could be in-order for his incubator. It's so good to hear that he's continuing to grow at such a rate - he will continue to be in our prayers.
XO
Kat
So happy for the update. What beach were you at? Say Hi to Kirk for me, that wonderful man.
ReplyDeleteIt's So sweet to hear from you. My heart just aches with love and prayers for you, your family, and Will. Y'all are amazing people and you handle everything with grace. If there's anything I can do, just let me know.
ReplyDeleteI can't get over how Georgia is morphing into Gwyneth, so cute, and such a little baker, I love it. I am so happy that 'Bill' continues to progress, gain weight and be a fighter. I guess with all his brothers and sisters praying for him he has no choice except to keep on getting better.
ReplyDeleteLove you so much Shauna. Love you all.
what's a fourth without baseball and the beach! What a beautiful family you have! I just read your birth story with baby Will. I will keep him in my prayers. glad he is doing good! love his nickname. I have a brother who was born just over 2 lbs. and without an esophagus. Surgery went great, they built him an esophagus right after birth and he was sooooo very tiny but continued to get strong. Lots and lots of prayers and fasting for him. And now at 17, you would never had guessed! You're a strong mama and I can't imagine what you are going through. Go Wild Bill!
ReplyDeleteMuch love and many prayers,
Lindsay
wild bill. I love it.
ReplyDeleteFinally I can come and visit you - my internet has been really bad the last week since I was away.
ReplyDeleteWild Bill huh?! Oh man, he is SO gonna be feisty for all of his life..! :-D I´m so glad he is doing fine during the circumstances, day by day it´s going to be better! :-)
Hugs!
What a lovely day you had! All my love to little 'Wild Bill' - he has a lot to look forward to when he's big, strong and old enough to join you and and the rest of the family on days out! So glad that he's doing so well.
ReplyDeleteHow do you juggle all of this and make it seem so effortless? Even though you have a little on in the hospital? I am truly impressed. Truly.
ReplyDeleteAnd I am totally your Gwyneth...you will find me with a book everywhere. :)
Happy Sunday my friend.
Beautiful Beach...Beautiful Family...Beautiful 4th! So happy to hear that you all got to spend a wonderful, fun day by the sea! :D
ReplyDeleteEveryone looks super happy....I am CONVINCED that you MUST be super mom in the flesh. ;)
So glad to hear an update on sweet William. Sounds like he is thriving and growing....makes my heart so happy. And I couldn't help but giggle about his hospital nickname...heehee. Hope he keeps that brave spirit for all his life. I know this time must be hard on you...especially the uncertainties that come with William's stay in the NICU. I'm always thinking of you guys and praying, too. Before long he'll be home and running around with all his beautiful siblings. Can't wait 'til you all get to be together all the time. Hang in there, Mama!
Hope this week ahead brings you lots of happiness and joy and no worries. xoxo!!
Wonderful 4th of July family pics. Everything looks perfect.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear William is doing good. I hope you are well my friend.
I am so glad you and your family were able to enjoy the 4th. And I am so grateful for the Wild Bill update. A pound gained! What a cutie! Take good care of yourself Shauna!
ReplyDeletelove seeing the pics of your family. keep us posted! love
ReplyDeleteHey there, I´ve been concerned about you - I couldn´t find your blog for a long while?! I hope everything is well, take care!
ReplyDeleteFound the blog! Hope you are "easing" back into the school schedule again! Cannot wait to hear more about William and how he is doing. Also I found a site that I bet you already know but if not, it is great for the younger ones called www.wegivebooks.org. It has many books that can be read online with adobe. (They have yet to add titles for the older ones). Plus, I forgot the titles you told me to read for Lauren. I really need to write it down next time! Talk soon!
ReplyDeleteFound your blog! Looks like a fun fourth. I hope you are "easing" back into the school schedule. I cannot wait to hear more about how William is doing and progressing.
ReplyDeleteBTW I found a great site that you might like (and may already know) for the younger ones. It is called www.wegivebooks.org. It has many books that can be read online with adobe. (They have yet to add titles for the older ones) It is totally free and the foundation donates a book each time you read one. I also forgot the titles you suggested for family novels. I really need to write them down. :)
Much love to the family and talk to you soon!